Melbourne Football

22nd Feb vs CCM

kingofhearts

Strange game, like the curate's egg, we were good in parts. VAR wasn't

Positives

we won

Tilio, we would be mid-table without him

Negatives:

dominated by the VAR, that, instead of improving the game is resulting in decision paralysis

CCM 1 shot in the first half, one goal. Glover is looking as confident as Shaun Evans

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

PK has it done it again! We love to make it difficult.

Our succes formula continues.

Our own lucky charm Pucci on the bench at $500k a season, only sub for suspected knee injuries and broken eye sockets!

I have no idea why he refuses to make subs.

He's willing to lose the game because he's too much of a stubborn cunt to change his tactics.

Evans needs a holiday after that reffing performance tonight. He was horrendous

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

I have no idea why he refuses to make subs.

He's willing to lose the game because he's too much of a stubborn cunt to change his tactics.

Evans needs a holiday after that reffing performance tonight. He was horrendous

Shaun is welcome every game now, please don’t forgot to bring your TV screens next game, not that you seem to need them.

Watch people blame the VAR for this game, whilst in reality the referee just stuck by his decisions.

Edited by Mr MO

Yeah, i get the controversy.

But seriously, where does a team get off thinking they were robbed or deserved a point for having like 2 shots on goal all game.

CCM were shithouse; if it wasn't for our stupid defending (again), they wouldn't have even gone inside our 18 yard box.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Well we copped three bad penalty decisions in lead up games. Got 2 back in this one.

Interestingly no one is talking about the 13 minutes of extra time. I mean there was a delay at 96:30 and it took 5 minutes of football to make up for that 30 seconds? Seriously weird.

I thought we were playing next goal wins at the end?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Interestingly no one is talking about the 13 minutes of extra time. I mean there was a delay at 96:30 and it took 5 minutes of football to make up for that 30 seconds? Seriously weird.

The extra time board didn't go up till the 93rd minute, so it seems they used that for when to start 

10 hours ago, belaguttman said:

Strange game, like the curate's egg, we were good in parts. VAR wasn't

Positives

we won

Tilio, we would be mid-table without him

Negatives:

dominated by the VAR, that, instead of improving the game is resulting in decision paralysis

CCM 1 shot in the first half, one goal. Glover is looking as confident as Shaun Evans

I maintain the view that unless the Video Assisted Referee can see a "clear and obvious error" within no more than 30 seconds then the decision of the on-field referee must stand. And I'm also beginning to think that there should also be a limit on how many times it can be used in a match. Better, of course, to do away with the VAR altogether.

• Like 1

What did we think about Miller’s exaggeration and his silly jump in the air?

Contact doesn’t automatically mean a penalty, if there was any.

I think we will get response today that Evans stood by his call as the VAR provided inconclusive evidence on top of what he judged on the field and thus not an error. 

• Like 1

Just caught up with the game. 

Absolute pure A League farce, and that's what I love.

Both Pens 99 times out 100 would be the opposite call.

Miller exaggerated 100% but he di go off and probably genuinely injured. 

For all the moaning and whining from Mariners they offered F all, apart from their goal which was a decent run but shambolic defending and another poor attempt to save, and a blocked shot they were never going to score. 

I really noticed PK from the bench,  being at most games never noticed, but seriously he must be so annoying to all the players. He sounds like a junior development coach. He should just shut up.

Tilio is developing nicely and his goal was a thing of beauty. 

Florin is a pure example of how a bloke playing at the top of his game with everything exactly suited to his strengths can perform. Imagine all the players we've had over the years that were obviously quality but never quite performed would have done.

Anyway another win. Starting to get our shit together. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I maintain the view that unless the Video Assisted Referee can see a "clear and obvious error" within no more than 30 seconds then the decision of the on-field referee must stand. And I'm also beginning to think that there should also be a limit on how many times it can be used in a match. Better, of course, to do away with the VAR altogether.

If it takes more than a few seconds watching a slo-mo replay then it isn't a clear and obvious error. Hockey gives each team captain a few video referee call options, when they are used up then there's no more video ref. Like many hockey rules, we should adopt that for VAR. The decision is also live broadcast so everyone can hear the ref and the video ref.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

What did we think about Miller’s exaggeration and his silly jump in the air?

Contact doesn’t automatically mean a penalty, if there was any.

I think we will get response today that Evans stood by his call as the VAR provided inconclusive evidence on top of what he judged on the field and thus not an error. 

In his defence, he left AAMI in a moonboot with a pretty nasty gash from Leckie's studs. In real time I thought it was an exaggeration too but VAR clearly showed Leckie stood on his foot - clear as day pen and unfathomable that Evans didn't overturn it. 

The whole saga reflects on the league very poorly and it's not a great way to win a game - especially since we were the better side anyway and aren't the kind of club that needs benefiting from those types of decisions. 

As I aforementioned, it was a farce.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Nate said:

In his defence, he left AAMI in a moonboot with a pretty nasty gash from Leckie's studs. In real time I thought it was an exaggeration too but VAR clearly showed Leckie stood on his foot - clear as day pen and unfathomable that Evans didn't overturn it. 

The whole saga reflects on the league very poorly and it's not a great way to win a game - especially since we were the better side anyway and aren't the kind of club that needs benefiting from those types of decisions. 

As I aforementioned, it was a farce.

In regards to miller watching closely you can see Leckie’s boot come over, rather than land on it. So that’s why he didn’t award a pen.

(What I suspect happened is Leckie has sharply scrapped the top of the foot with his studs, which would be fairly nasty)

9 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

I just wonder what would be forum's reaction if both VAR decions were against us. 

We are the best team, champions and need only football game to win it again. Developing rage against us is unnecessary. 

All 6 of us would be outraged.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Jovan said:

All 6 of us would be outraged.

IMO more like "Forum's Eleven?"

I'll update goalscorers and attendances shortly lads. I've just moved house so up to my neck in cardboard boxes and packing paper. Lucky to be online at all!

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

If it takes more than a few seconds watching a slo-mo replay then it isn't a clear and obvious error. Hockey gives each team captain a few video referee call options, when they are used up then there's no more video ref. Like many hockey rules, we should adopt that for VAR. The decision is also live broadcast so everyone can hear the ref and the video ref.

I reckon no more than two per team, and the field referee to decide when to call them - not the captains. 

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO more like "Forum's Eleven?"

Not so sure, I've always held the opinion most posters used multis, so go back to peak forum days some where arguing with themselves. 

And same wharped individuals liked their own comments. 

Obviously this opinion in itself is wharped essentially. 

1 hour ago, Jovan said:

For all the moaning and whining from Mariners they offered F all, apart from their goal which was a decent run but shambolic defending and another poor attempt to save, and a blocked shot they were never going to score. 

I completely blame that goal on kisnorbo btw.

If you watch the replay the man who was free should've been marked by nabbout, but the guy had been hobbling around all game and wasn't able to get back to cover in time. Pk should've subbed him off. Comes back to pk just being a stubborn cunt.

Mark my words if PK doesn't start making more subs, more often we are going to crash and burn at the end of the season.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Was probably a penalty, ours probably wasn't (IMO) it's annoying when these things happen in the same game, but ultimately these things even themselves out across the season.

Our penalty i think has some merit. I think Tilio tried to keep his balance after the first tackle and then very possibly got caught in the follow up once he had entered the box. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, n i k o said:

Our penalty i think has some merit. I think Tilio tried to keep his balance after the first tackle and then very possibly got caught in the follow up once he had entered the box. 

But thats only really clear after endless reviews. 

If you watch it in real time its 100% a foul and cleary outside the box.

The argument that Tilio rode the tackle and then was fouled again is debatable. 

For me it was a bad call, but the game is full of bad calls.

The Leckie non foul call was the real bad call. And what made it worse was the time it took. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But thats only really clear after endless reviews. 

If you watch it in real time its 100% a foul and cleary outside the box.

The argument that Tilio rode the tackle and then was fouled again is debatable. 

For me it was a bad call, but the game is full of bad calls.

The Leckie non foul call was the real bad call. And what made it worse was the time it took. 

My old man picked the pen from the start. I was arguing with him all during the var analysis that it wasn't a pen until I saw the replay. Maybe Evans also saw the same thing. 

The Leckie pen Im still unsure about. Miller being in a moonboot is more evidence of a foul being committed than the var replay can show. Leckies foot at worst grazed Miller. It never landed on top. Leckie foot landed behind after shows evidence of this. I'm not saying its not a pen though. I'm saying that's what has created doubt when making the decision in real time. 

3 minutes ago, n i k o said:

My old man picked the pen from the start. I was arguing with him all during the var analysis that it wasn't a pen until I saw the replay. Maybe Evans also saw the same thing. 

The Leckie pen Im still unsure about. Miller being in a moonboot is more evidence of a foul being committed than the var replay can show. Leckies foot at worst grazed Miller. It never landed on top. Leckie foot landed behind after shows evidence of this. I'm not saying its not a pen though. I'm saying that's what has created doubt when making the decision in real time. 

IMO Miller in a moonboot is fake, there’s nothing wrong with him besides the scratch and they are just playing the controversy. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

IMO Miller in a moonboot is fake, there’s nothing wrong with him besides the scratch and they are just playing the controversy. 

Not sure if it's a total fake but do think there is something behind this, especially the exaggerated fall after the 'contact'.

Remember, isn't this the same bloke who 20 minutes earlier was laying dead inside the goals after a bump with Tilio, with one arm severed and the other shoulder completely busted? Held the game up for minutes only to magically return to take a throw in seconds after? Looks a tough guy but not so sure after the way Hercules Berenguer fended him off for our great 2nd goal.

Something not adding up...

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

I agree with this. For all those complaining the first touch was outside, well perhaps it was. But who says the ref must give the foul on the first touch? Think of the scenario that happens multiple times in a game, where a player has the ball and is being nibbled at by an opposing player. Ref might let it go for one, two tackles then finally awards the foul on the third or whatever. Surely this is same thing? Reg sees contact, unsure, waits and then awards on the subsequent contact.

Nothing to see here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1