Melbourne Football

Vs 15th Feb Adelaide KO 7:55

kingofhearts

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Adelaide played on Saturday too.

Carl Vaert made some good tactical changes at half time, changed the balance of the game compared the first half.

Cmon now, that had nothing to with changing balance. Just an inability to take our chances and a shit backpass. They offered nothing.

Only have ourselves to blame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no idea how to feel after that. We should have won easily and we didn't even get a point. 

First goal was a freak occurrence, can't lay any blame to Glover and then the 2nd is as bad an error from an experienced player we have seen in a while. Really really disappointing 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rass said:

Cmon now, that had nothing to with changing balance. Just an inability to take our chances and a shit backpass. They offered nothing.

Only have ourselves to blame.

True but we couldn’t dominate in midfield anymore so credit to Carl Vaert there as we were all over them in the first half. Those errors fuck me…..

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

O'Neil is not the player Luna was and he is not offering anything else.

But you aren’t comparing the same position. I guess it’s obvious that the rotation of Metcalfe, Berenguer and Luna isn’t delivering the same output as Metcalfe, Berenguer and occasionally Tilio or Gumolka (who is a DM). Midfield wins you games in our system.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

But you aren’t comparing the same position. I guess it’s obvious that the rotation of Metcalfe, Berenguer and Luna isn’t delivering the same output as Metcalfe, Berenguer and occasionally Tilio or Gumolka (who is a DM). Midfield wins you games in our system.

Agree to a point. Midfield is pivotal in how we play, and yes it does seem less effective to last season. 

I think it's more to our fullbacks aren't as involved this season. 

Our fullbacks are the players moving into the midfield generally centrally to create the overloads to give space to wide players. 

Galloway was good last night both rightback in the first and then even better on the left when Jamo went off.

Jenkinson didn't offer much when he moved to rightback after Jamos substitution and for me thats what made complete disjointed second half.

Up until Jamos exit I didn't think we looked bad, afterwards we were dogshit.

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Agree to a point. Midfield is pivotal in how we play, and yes it does seem less effective to last season. 

I think it's more to our fullbacks aren't as involved this season. 

Our fullbacks are the players moving into the midfield generally centrally to create the overloads to give space to wide players. 

Galloway was good last night both rightback in the first and then even better on the left when Jamo went off.

Jenkinson didn't offer much when he moved to rightback after Jamos substitution and for me thats what made complete disjointed second half.

Up until Jamos exit I didn't think we looked bad, afterwards we were dogshit.

We touched on this before and many blamed our system but I’m afraid Jenkinson isn’t your typical City fullback. He’s a traditional English defender and seems to lack agility (height doesn’t help) and close skills to move into midfield and create this overload. It’s back passes and long balls down the line for him. He’s spend some time at RB now to asses and the click with Nabbout isn’t there either. Perhaps it has a bigger impact than we think. 

4 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We touched on this before and many blamed our system but I’m afraid Jenkinson isn’t your typical City fullback. He’s a traditional English defender and seems to lack agility (height doesn’t help) and close skills to move into midfield and create this overload. It’s back passes and long balls down the line for him. He’s spend some time at RB now to asses and the click with Nabbout isn’t there either. Perhaps it has a bigger impact than we think. 

Considering the dosh he's on at Forest...

https://www.nottinghamforest.news/2022/01/19/nottingham-forest-make-surprise-announcement-on-carl-jenkinson/

Alright.  I was at the game (because I am a sucker for punishment ... just had a bad feeling for this one, as Veart is pretty shrewd tactically and PK is ... PK

Firstly, we did start like a freight train and were unlucky not to have had two goals in the first 30 minutes or so. But there were some worrying signs.  The main one was PK was back playing the game from the sidelines ... contrast this with Veart who was shrewdly watching the game and leaving the hysterics to Aloisi

Tillio looked off from the get go, and succumbed pretty early to an injury, so maybe he took a niggle into the game.  If this was true, then I dont know why you'd risk him?? Especially when we have a Serie A level player on the bench, as well as Colakovski sitting there.

Our lack of squad rotation continues to hurt us with these short turn arounds.  Yes, these are a challenge, especially given the tempo we like to play, but when you are a tier 1 team and defending premier, its about managing these games in a season context, and planning ahead a little, and implementing more astute game management.  Not one speed, one game plan, one starting lineup and limited subs.

Good needs to be managed so we dont lose him, especially coming back from an extended break.  He, along with Jamo and Tillio all would be in doubt now for the coming weeks.  Also, Nabbout has looked pretty cooked the last few weeks.  Maybe he would have been a good option to bring on for the last 20?

4 things from the game:

1. Veart completely outcoached PK.  He went to a back 3 after half time and he was able to change the complexion of the game, and yes, their goals were lucky (through mistakes), but he still set up to make these chances with good tactics
  2. Colakovski out wide was very good and created more chances in 60 minutes than Leckie has all season
  3. PK is a bad coach - and I say coach, not manager, because this he aint!  Colakovski was playing well, but he was also having to put up with PK screaming at him - one instance he screamed at him to move from what was a good position out wide.  Steff looked at him and did as asked.  Then, 5 seconds later, he screamed at him again to run back to where he'd just come from ... for serious
  4. Mauk is a dog - when he whacked Flo, the Frenchman became ineffective, so really PK should have taken him off and thrown on the Italian

Very frustrating game, and my highlight was giving it to Mauk from the sidelines at every opportunity.  The good thing was, this seemed to encourage those around me, so we were able to enjoy ourselves to some degree

Lastly, Glover continues to worry ... a bit stiff with the 1st goal, as this was a genuine fluke, and nutmegged (I think?) for the second after a really unfortunate backpass from our EPL level player (I guess these things happen??) ... Should we be giving our reserve keeper a go?  Maybe, but Glover does have quality potential about him, so the club should be looking at our GK coach ...

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1

A strange game, the team that made the least mistakes won.

Positives:

Good individual performances from Florin and Metcalfe.

Islands of good play

Negatives:

We looked tired in the second half, not because we stopped running, we didn't, but tired passes, poor decision making

Injury to Tilio

No coaching adjustment from Kisnorbo in the second half

7 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Adelaide had two shots on target all night and one of them was a cross, football is entirely not fair sometimes.

Yes, whereas our conversion rate, against a GK who looked even shakier than Glover, and who was making poor decisions, was very poor. he had one excellent save against Cola, otherwise Gauci was poor  and we should have scored more

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

And? The drive that Luna gave made the team dangerous. O'Neil being a traditional 6 is not offering much else which was my point.

Is this O’Neill’s fault or the club/PK who didn’t adequately replace Luna whilst we had an designated/visa player spot available.

Edited by Mr MO

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

And? The drive that Luna gave made the team dangerous. O'Neil being a traditional 6 is not offering much else which was my point.

His main job is not to create danger for the other team, his job is to protect the defence and also be a possessional pivot who is always open for a pass so the team can recycle possession, Luna job was to overload the wide areas and also drive up the field with the bowl, just like berenguer is doing and what Pucciarelli should be doing if he actually played.... 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Zanty said:

His main job is not to create danger for the other team, his job is to protect the defence and also be a possessional pivot who is always open for a pass so the team can recycle possession, Luna job was to overload the wide areas and also drive up the field with the bowl, just like berenguer is doing and what Pucciarelli should be doing if he actually played.... 

I don’t see Aidan as our biggest problem, he is serviceable. An area to work on is his final ball, in our system this position is for the best passer in the team - look at Rodri and even Brattan for us in the past. He also concedes a fair few free kicks but that comes with his role I guess.

42 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I don’t see Aidan as our biggest problem, he is serviceable. An area to work on is his final ball, in our system this position is for the best passer in the team - look at Rodri and even Brattan for us in the past. He also concedes a fair few free kicks but that comes with his role I guess.

I havent been totally impressed with him this season. He has been very much up and down and playing in his role he can't afford to cough up the ball as much as he has this season. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I havent been totally impressed with him this season. He has been very much up and down and playing in his role he can't afford to cough up the ball as much as he has this season. 

Yeah agree, hence I said serviceable. With the amount of chances we create still, the problem really lies with the 5 in front of him. 

It’s crazy really considering our high intensive game that we are really relying on just 2 players for 2 CM/AM positions all season. One a player in development and the other is Florin, who is Florin.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Yeah agree, hence I said serviceable. With the amount of chances we create still, the problem really lies with the 5 in front of him. 

I think if I was a betting man, the result that would have the longest odds would be us winning a game 1-0 right now. We are winning games by having to score multiple goals as we continue to concede in every game. We have absolutely no assurance that our defence can withstand 90 minutes of football.

Look at it from a different angle. In 12 games we have managed 1 clean sheet. In 12 games we have scored goals in 10 of them. Across 12 games we are averaging 1.92 goals per game. 

I would be looking at not only him but the 5 behind him.

Edited by n i k o

45 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I think if I was a betting man, the result that would have the longest odds would be us winning a game 1-0 right now. We are winning games by having to score multiple goals as we continue to concede in every game. We have absolutely no assurance that our defence can withstand 90 minutes of football.

Look at it from a different angle. In 12 games we have managed 1 clean sheet. In 12 games we have scored goals in 10 of them. Across 12 games we are averaging 1.92 goals per game. 

I would be looking at not only him but the 5 behind him.

I guess I’m a forward thinking man!

If you score more then your opponent, then you win games! 

37 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I guess I’m a forward thinking man!

If you score more then your opponent, then you win games! 

I'd like to know how many times we've been in front but failed to capitalise. And how many soft goals we've conceded. As I see it, the whole team and coaching panel is below last season. Except Florin, who possibly looks better because everyone around him looks worse.

Exaggeration of course, but you get my drift.

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'd like to know how many times we've been in front but failed to capitalise. And how many soft goals we've conceded. As I see it, the whole team and coaching panel is below last season. Except Florin, who possibly looks better because everyone around him looks worse.

Completely agree.

But in a peverse way it supports the methodology of the coaching team.

My interpretation is that they believe they have been doing everything right and the losses/drawers have been more down to individual errors or just general bad luck rather than fundamental flaws. And reasoning behind my slant is the very little change between games, that is both personal and structure. 

I guess time will be the way to gauge.

32 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Completely agree.

But in a peverse way it supports the methodology of the coaching team.

My interpretation is that they believe they have been doing everything right and the losses/drawers have been more down to individual errors or just general bad luck rather than fundamental flaws. And reasoning behind my slant is the very little change between games, that is both personal and structure. 

I guess time will be the way to gauge

• Like 1

Good point(s) @Jovan. Yes, and amid the usual grumblings, it's easy to overlook that we are second on an albeit congested league table, scoring more goals than anyone else, conceding more goals than anyone else but nevertheless with an equal best goal difference....

I suppose that the main gripes are the puzzle over visa players, why we sign them and then don't play them, and why we cannot shake off this habit of not ramming home our advantage when we're on top and then conceding when we ought to be able to comfortably play out a match.

Attendance: 2,728

Edited by jw1739
Add attendance

6 hours ago, Mr MO said:

It’s crazy really considering our high intensive game that we are really relying on just 2 players for 2 CM/AM positions all season. One a player in development and the other is Florin, who is Florin.

We potentially have 4, the other two are visa players, we are yet to see what either of them have to offer, one hasn't even appeared for us yet, the other has barely warmed the bench