Melbourne Football

Tuesday 7:45 KO vs Newy

kingofhearts

Comfortable win. Their penalty was not convincing. Geez Penha and Mikeltadze love claiming contact. My favourite was when the latter ran into Goods back as he tried to get across to the switch and went down like Good took him out. 

Turns out its club policy to not sub. We waited as long as possible to get Berenguer and Leckie off despite both being absolutely completely cooked at least 10 minutes prior. I mean you're 4-2 up and Leckie is done, how much can it hurt to put Colakovski on? Leckie had about three big chances in the last ten where he was in dangerous spots eith the ball (and not even from him working hard to get in position) and was too exhausted to make anything of it. So frustrating. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, The Aardvark said:

Comfortable win. Their penalty was not convincing. Geez Penha and Mikeltadze love claiming contact. My favourite was when the latter ran into Goods back as he tried to get across to the switch and went down like Good took him out. 

Turns out its club policy to not sub. We waited as long as possible to get Berenguer and Leckie off despite both being absolutely completely cooked at least 10 minutes prior. I mean you're 4-2 up and Leckie is done, how much can it hurt to put Colakovski on? Leckie had about three big chances in the last ten where he was in dangerous spots eith the ball (and not even from him working hard to get in position) and was too exhausted to make anything of it. So frustrating. 

Our sub policy is the most frustrating thing about watching this club. Geez we're good to watch but how often do we fade and concede when we evidently need fresh legs, and have players screaming out for gametime rotting on the bench. 

I don't get it but there must be some rationale behind it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

It's hard to see the rationale this month with short turnarounds and lots of games

There isn't one. Kisnorbo inherited from Mombaerts, who wasn't noted for the deft use of substitutes either. 

From a player health perspective it's actually rather stupid when you're playing summer football in a place such as Australia.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

There isn't one. Kisnorbo inherited from Mombaerts, who wasn't noted for the deft use of substitutes either. 

From a player health perspective it's actually rather stupid when you're playing summer football in a place such as Australia.

And we have another away game on Friday!

7 hours ago, belaguttman said:

It's hard to see the rationale this month with short turnarounds and lots of games

I completely agree, I think it's really poor. Just saying though, there must be a directive as it happens far too consistently to be chalked down as "Paddy getting too invested in the game to remember to sub". 

Some clarity from the club/manager would be nice.

The sub thing at the moment I think is a direction from Paddy to get his main 14 or 15 able to play strong 90. We have no idea how much fitness they all lost when they all had covid. 

Last night we weren't losing, so there was no harm in making Leckie play the 90 and endure a bit to get him up to ideal fitness quicker. 

The risk is there that someone gets injured/suspended and we have to play a Cola, Pucci, Gomulka etc with very little football. But we did the exact same thing this time last season, never made subs when it was logical to and it worked. Can't blame kisnorbo for going back to the formula and game management structure that worked so well for him last year 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, neio said:

The sub thing at the moment I think is a direction from Paddy to get his main 14 or 15 able to play strong 90. We have no idea how much fitness they all lost when they all had covid. 

Last night we weren't losing, so there was no harm in making Leckie play the 90 and endure a bit to get him up to ideal fitness quicker. 

The risk is there that someone gets injured/suspended and we have to play a Cola, Pucci, Gomulka etc with very little football. But we did the exact same thing this time last season, never made subs when it was logical to and it worked. Can't blame kisnorbo for going back to the formula and game management structure that worked so well for him last year 

That's a fair assessment.

I guess it's really just Cola and Pucci missing out for now, and we have no real idea about Pucciarelli's fitness/attitude.

4 hours ago, Nate said:

I completely agree, I think it's really poor. Just saying though, there must be a directive as it happens far too consistently to be chalked down as "Paddy getting too invested in the game to remember to sub". 

Some clarity from the club/manager would be nice.

The criticism is always more towards the inability to adjust tactics during the game and that includes substitution. The hectic behaviour on the sideline has been brought up but you are right there is more to it. Now is this due to the inability to think out of the box or clear CFG instructions? I believe it’s the latter and we are very much “stick to the system and plan”

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

TBF Cola hasn't really done anything to demand minutes. 

Pucci, can this bloke actually play?

Obviously both haven't been given the chance especially when comparing to Leckie, but to me that's another issue which shouldn't be connected. 

I can kind off see the logic but without knowing whats going on a daily basis it's hard to really know what is beneficial. 

I'm still trusting PK that he actually knows whats he's doing. 

Next few games will be interesting and might vindicate many opinions,  right or wrong.

13 minutes ago, Jovan said:

TBF Cola hasn't really done anything to demand minutes. 

Pucci, can this bloke actually play?

Obviously both haven't been given the chance especially when comparing to Leckie, but to me that's another issue which shouldn't be connected. 

I can kind off see the logic but without knowing whats going on a daily basis it's hard to really know what is beneficial. 

I'm still trusting PK that he actually knows whats he's doing. 

Next few games will be interesting and might vindicate many opinions,  right or wrong.

Agreed that we don't know what goes on on a daily basis.

I don't buy the fitness argument. I cannot see that a player who has played 70 minutes or so and is completely gassed will receive any benefit in continuing on for another 15-25 minutes. I would have thought that it's more likely that he would end the match worse rather than better, his reaction times would drop off and he'd be more likely to be injured as the game wore on.

Second, any one who's been with the club for a season or more and especially anyone coming through the Academy, would know the "system" inside out, because all the teams play the same way. Looking at the playing list I can see four players who wouldn't know the "system" - Jenko, Pucci, Leckie and Endoh. All four are seasoned professionals and have played at MLS level or above, and I would expect them to pick up the "system" pretty quickly; otherwise they are poor signings, especially the two loanees. When I was working and changed employer I didn't expect to have to go back to kindergarten before I could do my new job effectively. Leckie is starting, Jenko has already played some minutes, Endoh is still unpacking his bags, so it seems to boil down to what the hell is the issue with Pucciarelli.

So, trying to stand back a bit, I don't think we would be doing much more than the usual grumbling that follows almost every match, if it weren't for Pucci. This is what is gripping everyone's attention.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

The criticism is always more towards the inability to adjust tactics during the game and that includes substitution. The hectic behaviour on the sideline has been brought up but you are right there is more to it. Now is this due to the inability to think out of the box or clear CFG instructions? I believe it’s the latter and we are very much “stick to the system and plan”

I would very highly doubt its CFG actually telling coaches when to sub. It would be crazy micromanagement if it were the case. Secondly  our coaches under CFG have all varied in the number of subs they make and when they would. So I beleive we can rule that one out. What I dont rule out, and perhaps where the 'CFG link may be connected' is this way of making (or not making subs) subs. Which is a bit of Kisnorbos personal influence from someone like Pep Guardiola in if the game is flowing well dont change it. PK is on record as well as saying this.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I would very highly doubt its CFG actually telling coaches when to sub. It would be crazy micromanagement if it were the case. Secondly  our coaches under CFG have all varied in the number of subs they make and when they would. So I beleive we can rule that one out. What I dont rule out, and perhaps where the 'CFG link may be connected' is this way of making (or not making subs) subs. Which is a bit of Kisnorbos personal influence from someone like Pep Guardiola in if the game is flowing well dont change it. PK is on record as well as saying this.  

Perhaps PK is influenced by what Guardiola does, but the latter is well-known for rotating his starting line-up, which we don't appear to be doing. So I'm not convinced that Guardiola is the reason why we're doing what we're doing.

The other point I'd like to raise is how likely it is that we will be the team on the park that scores the final goal of the game. Yes, we have had memorable matches such as the two derbies last season where we have had crushing victories, but I seem to recall many matches at AAMI where we have been well in control with a comfortable, say 2-goal, lead, the opposition scores and suddenly for the final 5-10 minutes we're hanging on like a boxer on the ropes desperate to hear the final bell. So as well as going with the flow it's necessary to read the game, see when the cracks are beginning to show, and respond accordingly. Just continuing on because it's worked so far is a very narrow view of the game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Perhaps PK is influenced by what Guardiola does, but the latter is well-known for rotating his starting line-up, which we don't appear to be doing. So I'm not convinced that Guardiola is the reason why we're doing what we're doing.

The other point I'd like to raise is how likely it is that we will be the team on the park that scores the final goal of the game. Yes, we have had memorable matches such as the two derbies last season where we have had crushing victories, but I seem to recall many matches at AAMI where we have been well in control with a comfortable, say 2-goal, lead, the opposition scores and suddenly for the final 5-10 minutes we're hanging on like a boxer on the ropes desperate to hear the final bell. So as well as going with the flow it's necessary to read the game, see when the cracks are beginning to show, and respond accordingly. Just continuing on because it's worked so far is a very narrow view of the game.

Agree with the first paragraph, I just remember PK referencing Guardiola. 

I'm actually craving a clean sheet. We had 8 of them last season including finals series from a total of 26 games giving us  31%. This season we have had just the 1 from 10 games giving us 10%. 

1 hour ago, n i k o said:

Agree with the first paragraph, I just remember PK referencing Guardiola. 

I'm actually craving a clean sheet. We had 8 of them last season including finals series from a total of 26 games giving us  31%. This season we have had just the 1 from 10 games giving us 10%. 

Do you also get the feeling that every turn over or counter attack we can concede? Yes we were the better team last night but I still lack that sense of security 

Good win, although Newcastle are not much to write home about.

Players seemed a bit more free without PK micro managing them from the sidelines (they did last year as well from memory)

Lack of subs again is dumb.  Multiple goals up, after Covid disruptions and a short turn around under hot conditions, with another game again at the end of the week and players returning from international duty ... himm why the fack wouldnt you use your allocation of subs and get a few minutes in the legs of guys who can be important contributors within the team?  

We continue to leak soft goals ... I'd love to know the percentage of goals we've copped in the last 30 minutes of games this year ... clearly other teams are able to swing the game towards the end of the 90 due to our lads running out of gas.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Do you also get the feeling that every turn over or counter attack we can concede? Yes we were the better team last night but I still lack that sense of security 

Yes, but I think that is because we have a very aggressive attacking transition and we often lose the ball at the second phase

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Yep. I feel like somewhere in our defence there's always hole to be exposed or a lack of cohesion or concentration which leaves us vulnerable. It only happens a few times a game but it's enough to either cost us a goal or threaten our goals. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Yes. And the longer the match goes on the more that feeling grows. It stands to reason that as the players tire then they will make more mistakes, more errors of judgment, lose a little pace, etc. We are well known for turning three points into one, and one into nothing at all.

3 hours ago, Tommykins said:

On the issues of subs - we've played one less game then Sydney FC and they've made ~double the amount of subs this year (we've made 24, they've made 47)

I guess there's no correlation to results then in that case seeing as we're in a better position. But we all agree our use of subs could have allowed us to pick up more points than we have currently. 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 1