Melbourne Football

Saturday vs Western, 29 Jan, 7.45KO

The Aardvark

So what are our expectations going into this. Particularly what lineup are we expecting, considering:

Metcalfe, Leckie, Maclaren, Tilio away with the Socceroos. 

Griffiths and Good both possibly still out due Covid. 

Jamieson and Reis returning from suspensions. 

Subs last time included Caputo, Colakovski, Gomulka, Jenkinson, Hall and Pucciarelli, with neither Rodrigues or Lesiotis featuring meaning they may also be unavailable. 

I think we will run with something like the following.

Glover

Galloway                Reis               Jenkinson            Jamieson

Gomulka

Berengeur                O'Neill

Nabbout                                                               Bos

Colakovski

I'm assuming we have no interest in playing Pucciarelli. 

Griff might be available, according to his Twitter, he only had mild cold symptoms. That might see Gomulka on the bench in the above and Jenkinson or Griffiths in the DM role.

Might also see Nabbout up front rather than Cola with him on the wing.

Assume bench would be Caputo, Pucciarelli, Stokes, Hall, and Oresti if Rodrigues and Lesiotis are still ill.

Surely Pucciarelli will get a run this game. I just don't get this signing at all. Surely it's not too much to ask for some transparency from Kisnorbo on this

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Le Hack said:

Griff might be available, according to his Twitter, he only had mild cold symptoms. That might see Gomulka on the bench in the above and Jenkinson or Griffiths in the DM role.

Might also see Nabbout up front rather than Cola with him on the wing.

Assume bench would be Caputo, Pucciarelli, Stokes, Hall, and Oresti if Rodrigues and Lesiotis are still ill.

Surely Pucciarelli will get a run this game. I just don't get this signing at all. Surely it's not too much to ask for some transparency from Kisnorbo on this

I don't think that "transparency" is in CFG's lexicon.

Thoughts on this “rivalry” guys?! Third team in Melbourne should have meant that we had another occasion to be hyped about just as much as the games against Victory. Instead we’ve got Western and - from both sides - it just feels so “blah”. Opportunity missed…

2 minutes ago, AshR88 said:

Thoughts on this “rivalry” guys?! Third team in Melbourne should have meant that we had another occasion to be hyped about just as much as the games against Victory. Instead we’ve got Western and - from both sides - it just feels so “blah”. Opportunity missed…

i think that we have more rivalry with South Melbourne that we do with "what's their names".

7 hours ago, AshR88 said:

Theirs no rivalry.

How can we have a rivalry with a club who doesn't even know where they're located lmao

20 hours ago, AshR88 said:

I don't think that you can just create a derby rivalry out of nothing. IMO the reasons that Heart/Victory matches took off right from the start is that it was the first real intra-city derby in the A-League, because Victory had done everything possible to belittle the formation of Heart, because of Heart's colours (we looked like a real football team then), and after that the derby grew in significance because we won the first one and there followed the "Christmas Derby" - an "event" in itself. Many other factors along the way too - including Muscat's tackle and more recently the 6-0 and 7-0 drubbings we gave Victory.

None of these apply in the case of Western United, and any potential derby atmosphere has been stalled by COVID as well. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AshR88 said:

Rivalry? There isn't a more irrelevant team in Australia than Western United, they have no home, no fans and no identity.

The fact were playing an away game at our home ground cause they don't have one is laughable. 

Won't be in the league in 3 years

39 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think that you can just create a derby rivalry out of nothing. IMO the reasons that Heart/Victory matches took off right from the start is that it was the first real intra-city derby in the A-League, because Victory had done everything possible to belittle the formation of Heart, because of Heart's colours (we looked like a real football team then), and after that the derby grew in significance because we won the first one and there followed the "Christmas Derby" - an "event" in itself. Many other factors along the way too - including Muscat's tackle and more recently the 6-0 and 7-0 drubbings we gave Victory.

None of these apply in the case of Western United, and any potential derby atmosphere has been stalled by COVID as well. 

I think the lack of a permanent home has been key. That first away trip to Geelong was a great match and I could imagine that without COVID, and with a regular venue at Kardinia, that could have been a regular event we'd have looked forward to. But it just seems bizarre to be playing them at AAMI. It seems the moving around has impacted their support numbers as well. First season in Geelong they seemed to be building a support base, but it seems that uncertainty about location and COVID have both made it difficult for them to build a supporter base, and hence the sort of atmosphere that would make a derby memorable.

I've said it before, but it is not in the interests of the league or us as a member club of that league, for new franchises to fail, because their failure could doom the league itself. However much we watch their missteps and wince, we should want WU to establish themselves. Even if we think they were the wrong pick for a franchise.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I've said it before, but it is not in the interests of the league or us as a member club of that league, for new franchises to fail, because their failure could doom the league itself. However much we watch their missteps and wince, we should want WU to establish themselves. Even if we think they were the wrong pick for a franchise.

Spot on. And speaking of missteps, I don't think it's proven yet that our move to Casey Fields is a good one. Every club has a responsibility to sustain the league.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Spot on. And speaking of missteps, I don't think it's proven yet that our move to Casey Fields is a good one. Every club has a responsibility to sustain the league.

I agree with the point re Western United failing being bad for the league. If we’re to persist with closed-shop, no pro-rel then the league will continue to be weighed down by clubs not pulling their weight.

Don’t agree with the Casey Fields argument though. I’m a case in point - wasn’t a fan before, am now because they’re local to me so I feel more of an attachment - and I know quite a few around here who feel the same way. That said, if there’s no real strategy in place to capitalize on that and take it further to achieve real sustainable growth then it will be a waste, I agree. May as well have a proper south-east team here instead. 

Edited by AshR88

1 hour ago, AshR88 said:

I agree with the point re Western United failing being bad for the league. If we’re to persist with closed-shop, no pro-rel then the league will continue to be weighed down by clubs not pulling their weight.

Don’t agree with the Casey Fields argument though. I’m a case in point - wasn’t a fan before, am now because they’re local to me so I feel more of an attachment - and I know quite a few around here who feel the same way. That said, if there’s no real strategy in place to capitalize on that and take it further to achieve real sustainable growth then it will be a waste, I agree. May as well have a proper south-east team here instead. 

They capitalised on that by taking the Team11 blue print and the south east spot, Melbourne’s biggest corridor with most grass roots club. So no other team can move there now either.

They’ve already started engaging with many grass root clubs on different levels. Once the full academy is completed I’m sure things will flourish.

I live in the west but still fully support this move, I see this as long term growth of the club as we were fishing in the same small pond as Victory, which we weren’t going to win. Fully aware it’s going to cost some fans in the short term, it’s all about the next generation kids, players and fans not just about us rusted old Heart fans.

23 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

They capitalised on that by taking the Team11 blue print and the south east spot, Melbourne’s biggest corridor with most grass roots club. So no other team can move there now either.

They’ve already started engaging with many grass root clubs on different levels. Once the full academy is completed I’m sure things will flourish.

I live in the west but still fully support this move, I see this as long term growth of the club as we were fishing in the same small pond as Victory, which we weren’t going to win. Fully aware it’s going to cost some fans in the short term, it’s all about the next generation kids, players and fans not just about us rusted old Heart fans.

+1 

Good points well made.