Melbourne Football

Sunday vs CCM, January 23rd, 4:05pm KO

kingofhearts

Excellent win, particularly given our issues in defence. Actually looked like a proper, professional City performance. Starting perhaps to hit our straps. Bos by far the best I've seen him, living up to his press. Frenchie had a great game. With the incoming signing and a new loanee looking very good, maybe the tide is turning for us. Time for us to go on a run...

2 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Excellent win, particularly given our issues in defence. Actually looked like a proper, professional City performance. Starting perhaps to hit our straps. Bos by far the best I've seen him, living up to his press. Frenchie had a great game. With the incoming signing and a new loanee looking very good, maybe the tide is turning for us. Time for us to go on a run...

And we made subs!!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

With all the doom and gloom on here you would think that we were closer to the bottom of the ladder, not the top. With this win however, we go into third and I believe only a point or two off first. Scary to think that we're this high up the ladder and we haven't even hit our stride yet.

Being realistic the ladder can be flattering of course. Having a good look at games played. We are 5th if the rest wins their games, this is if they win their games.

9 minutes ago, neio said:

Very solid performance, it wasn't spectacular but it was what we needed with the team we had. They hardly had a chance and we controlled the game. 

Hopefully we get some defenders back next week, as we lose most of our attack 

We've still got Nabbout, and Cola can do more than a good job. And we've then got a couple of youngsters waiting behind them. Options in midfield too, especially with defenders coming back to free up O'Neill. We'll miss Tilio. And Metcalf...

Edited by fensaddler

3 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

We've still got Nabbout, and Cola can do more than a good job. And we've then got a couple of youngsters waiting behind them. Options in midfield too, especially with defenders coming back to free up O'Neill. We'll miss Tilio. And Metcalf...

Just a 2 man midfield with Florin and O'Neill then PK will think.

27 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Being realistic the ladder can be flattering of course. Having a good look at games played. We are 5th if the rest wins their games, this is if they win their games.

Always prefer to have the points in the bag. Several quick starters may well start to drop off the pace. WU already looking like one of those. Lots of lucky 1-0 wins, couldn't continue.

2 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Tilio was not great at all this game, Metcalfe will be missed though. Preferred line up would be :

Glover

Jenkinson, Nuno Reis, Griffiths, Jamo

O'Neill, Berenguer, Pucciarelli?

Nabbout, Cola, Bos

If Good was fit then I would say play Griffiths in defensive midfield, O'Neill in the 8 role Berenguer in the advanced 8 role and then Pucciarelli as a false 9

Just now, Mr MO said:

Just a 2 man midfield with Florin and O'Neill then PK will think.

Maybe one of the youngsters comes in, Gomulka or Lesiotis. They both look good enough. Griff sounds pretty confident he hasn't had a bad dose of the Rona so maybe even he can see some minutes somewhere, though that may be optimistic. 

25 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Maybe one of the youngsters comes in, Gomulka or Lesiotis. They both look good enough. Griff sounds pretty confident he hasn't had a bad dose of the Rona so maybe even he can see some minutes somewhere, though that may be optimistic. 

Anybody really, even if it means not like for like. Pucci for Metcalf or Tilio, next to Berenguer and O’Neil is how we recruited. Crazy that this isn’t even an option. PK is even half Italian.

If the Italian doesn’t get game time next game, we are wasting our salary cap.

Edited by Mr MO

I was pleased with our performance tonight, and just not for the result. 

Positives:

A win, and a win away from home. We lost the lead but didn't fade out of the game

Apart from a brief patch in the first half that resulted in CCM's goal, we controlled the match tempo and style

The team looked well balanced despite all the changes to the backline

Couldn't ask for a better start from our midweek signing

I'm excited at the news of our mystery Japanese number 10 - much needed, but I'm not sure where that leaves our invisible Italian

Negatives:

Our midfield - they dominated the game, were responsible for us controlling the tempo of the game and took enormous pressure off our backline by avoiding so many cheap possession turnovers in second phase transition. Why is this a negative then? CCM really helped us by losing shape for much of the match and leaving a large space between their back 2 lines, giving us space to exploit. This revealed our real problem this season, our underperforming midfield, their turnovers, poor movement, this creates extra pressure on our backs and has blunted the effectiveness of our forward 3. Tonight, we could see how much more effective we are with a fluid midfield, but we can't rely on the better teams to provide us with as much space as we had tonight. Midfield is our real issue this season

Edited by belaguttman

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

I was pleased with our performance tonight, and just not for the result. 

Positives:

A win, and a win away from home. We lost the lead but didn't fade out of the game

Apart from a brief patch in the first half that resulted in CCM's goal, we controlled the match tempo and style

The team looked well balanced despite all the changes to the backline

Couldn't ask for a better start from our midweek signing

I'm excited at the news of our mystery Japanese number 10 - much needed, but I'm not sure where that leaves our invisible Italian

Negatives:

Our midfield - they dominated the game, were responsible for us controlling the tempo of the game and took enormous pressure off our backline by voiding so many cheap possession turnovers in second phase transition. Why is this a negative then? CCM really helped us by losing shape for much of the match and leaving a large space between their back 2 lines, giving us space to exploit. This revealed our real problem this season, our underperforming midfield, their turnovers, poor movement, this creates extra pressure on our backs and has blunted the effectiveness of our forward 3. Tonight, we could see how much more effective we are with a fluid midfield, but we can't rely on the better teams to provide us with as much space as we had tonight. Midfield is our real issue this season

Further evidence of how good a player Luna was for us...

• Like 6