Melbourne Football

Nick Fitzgerald

jw1739

2 hours ago, Deeming said:

Its a pity all the highlights being shown of that goal are missing this part of the build-up. This for me was the highlight of the game. Determination and spirit even when we were 2 goals up and many players would have just let it go out.

Agree, really quality work and it's gone somewhat under the radar.

• 2 months later...

Lost Mariner finds his way

By The Secret Agent

May. 29, 2016

Last season the Central Coast Mariners released Nick Fitzgerald, deeming him not good enough for the club.

A short-term loan deal, 13 appearances and three goals later, now the country’s richest A-League franchise, Melbourne City, have agreed to make the move permanent.

Fitzgerald who can play left or right wing is seen as a perfect squad player with his blinding speed and has penned a two-year deal.

http://www.sportingnews.com/football/list/the-secret-agent-perth-glory-hunting-melbourne-victory-attacker/lmae2l9d96yk1g7f0l2iq9dt8/slide/2

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kinnibari said:

I was going to say 'at last, some signing news' but you have to take the source with a grain of salt. Still it seems quite plausible and I think good news if true.

Hope it's confirmed by the club, because I rate Fitzy and think he can be a good player for us for a few seasons. Pacey and plays for the shirt. Depending on other signings of course but IMO he could be a regular starter at RW.

• Like 4

Is no way they saw Fitzgerald as not good enough. More likely we dangled the carrot of a fee for caceres in front of CCM on the condition they'd release Fitzgerald as well. Fitzgerald, Caceres and Austin are the only quality CCM had, wouldn't have released him otherwise.

Happy if we've signed him on long term. Good bench player but is seriously uncomfortable on the ball but makes up for with pace  (like most a-league wingers). However seems to shy away from taking players on probably due to his awkwardness on the ball. Hopefully can develop that as he seems to be a decent finisher and has a great work rate to help defensively.

Good a-league level winger.

18 hours ago, perthheart said:

Is no way they saw Fitzgerald as not good enough. More likely we dangled the carrot of a fee for caceres in front of CCM on the condition they'd release Fitzgerald as well. Fitzgerald, Caceres and Austin are the only quality CCM had, wouldn't have released him otherwise.

Happy if we've signed him on long term. Good bench player but is seriously uncomfortable on the ball but makes up for with pace  (like most a-league wingers). However seems to shy away from taking players on probably due to his awkwardness on the ball. Hopefully can develop that as he seems to be a decent finisher and has a great work rate to help defensively.

Good a-league level winger.

Better than Mooy. :fb:

• 2 weeks later...

Severely overrated on this forum. 6 months ago he was the third best winger at the worst club in the league.

On 31/05/2016 at 5:56 PM, perthheart said:

Good bench player but is seriously uncomfortable on the ball but makes up for with pace  (like most a-league wingers). However seems to shy away from taking players on probably due to his awkwardness on the ball.

I agree with this, but he doesn't have pace. There was not a fullback in the A league last season that Fitzy was quicker than, including the rapidly fading 36 year old Shane Stefanutto. He doesn't take on players because he can't.

107 A league games for 11 goals is a pretty ordinary return for a guy who plays up front. Williams and Dugandzic have far better goal scoring records but were crucified on this forum for not scoring enough. Fitzy somehow gets a free pass because of his perceived work rate.

Mitch Austin is a far better player.

• Like 2

Don't disagree. After we played CCM early last season I said I'd take Caceres, Fitzgerald and Austin from them. A year later we've got two of em. Austin is more dangerous going forward but Fitzgerald is a more rounded player. 

Williams had a horrendous first touch and shooting ability but had the pace and a better positional sense to open up defences regularly. If he had even a marginally better first touch and finishing he would be playing for the NT imo.

Mostly those with work rate and middling skills elsewhere are seen as good players by fans here, but those with that something extra but inconsistency are crucified due to the frustration they cause when they create something out of nothing but then butcher it (Williams, Austin).

Whereas a player seen to be running all day, tracking back etc but creating very little and finishing well when given they do find themselves in dangerous positions are then applauded. (Fitzgerald).

Is just part and parcel of following lower level clubs though. I honestly prefer the players in Williams mould as its more exciting to watch. I disagree however on the pace side of things, Fitz is fucking fast in a straight line without the ball, his lack of control while dribbling is what stunts his pace on the ball. Watch the best players or even better players like a Novillo, they go at full tilt with their head up taking deft touches, Fitzgerald largely has his head down focussing on controlling the ball and has to take more touches as a result this doesn't let him get to top speed while on the ball. Still as I said a reliable squaddy and happy to have him on board.

Edited by perthheart
  • Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 0:04 PM, Jacques Le Cube said:

Severely overrated on this forum. 6 months ago he was the third best winger at the worst club in the league.

I agree with this, but he doesn't have pace. There was not a fullback in the A league last season that Fitzy was quicker than, including the rapidly fading 36 year old Shane Stefanutto. He doesn't take on players because he can't.

107 A league games for 11 goals is a pretty ordinary return for a guy who plays up front. Williams and Dugandzic have far better goal scoring records but were crucified on this forum for not scoring enough. Fitzy somehow gets a free pass because of his perceived work rate.

Mitch Austin is a far better player.

What does his performance at a former club have to do with him playing for us?

No one is saying he's the best winger in the comp or even our squad, but he's a cog in a machine type player and someone who finally gives us width and a winger with great positioning and an even better work rate. If i'm not mistaken he's also been involved in 8 or so goals (complete guess) in the back half of this year, which isn't bad for the 3rd best winger at the worst club in the year...

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Surely by now this guy gets a starting gig ahead of Kamau. He is so direct and we always look like scoring when he's got the ball. 

Agree...Kamau with no hair still doesn't know how to take the first man.

Then again Fitzy does that with his limited football skills (showing passion and taking on players) but I have never seen him successfully cross a ball

• 5 weeks later...