Melbourne Football

Rd: 16 City vs Wellington 25th @ 19:30

MHFC-FAN

1 minute ago, CityHeart said:

happy overall, but we starting to get VERY cute at about the hour mark and got a bit ahead of ourselves.

Buckled down ok after the goal conceded, but still would have preferred a 90 minute performance, Perhaps the short week has something to do with it.

Haha the last 30 minutes Novillo was playing for shits and giggles. There were very few negatives last night, hard to argue that starting 11 is the strongest side we have ever fielded in our short history.

11 minutes ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

I think he's right about Zullo and you're right about Franjic

To be fair to Franjic. With the 3-5-2 the wing backs have the hardest job as the weakness in the formation is out on the wings and on top of that Wellington was also overloading that side. So IMO Franjic did as well as he could given the circumstances.

Just watched the replay. Stand by my comments on Paartalu. Great job, good positioning, breaking down attacks.

1 bad pass all night. lead to a goal mind, but then again the only reason we had the ball at the time was because he'd won it from Wellington not long before. 

For me Wellington's best was Moss, which sums up the game.

• Like 2

Zullo was making great runs down the wing, especially in the first half. 

Took me back to days when Behich was flying high, shame he had nobody to cross the ball to those days. 

As for defensive work by zullo or any winger for that matter people can't always have it both ways. 

You love when he makes quick forward runs taking on opposition defenders to deliver that perfect cross or take the shot. Yet when opposition makes a quick counterattack and ball gets behind zullo he automatically has failed in his defensive role. 

He needs support from the defenders to cover his place. 

He put in hard shift and I think he is that missing link we have been waiting for 

• Like 2

What a fantastic day for Melbourne City Football Club. First, the record-breaking women get over the line in front of a great crowd in the most tense of circumstances, and then the men put on one of the best attacking displays in the a-league I've ever seen in front of a great crowd of nearly 11k (at least for 60 minutes). No amount of unfair negativity on this forum will take away from my pure and unabated enjoyment of the spectacle and the teams yesterday. Surely plenty of those fans will be coming back after that display.

Before I continue about how good yesterday and how good this club is becoming, I'd first like to acknowledge: Yes, we are still a work in progress and there are weaknesses. Paartalu still can't pass or keep up with the speed of the game, we failed yet again to keep a clean sheet and who knows how we'll back up on Friday (though our record of 1 defeat since that 0-3 reversal against WSW makes me more confident than I would have been in seasons past). But show me an a-league team that doesn't have weaknesses that are equally significant (the fact we are two points off the top proves they ARE equally significant). WSW can never get the goals their dominance justifies and have a muppet for a striker/marquee, Sydney are dead-boring and their reactive style feels unsustainable, Victory still haven't convinced me they're out of their huge form slump/championship hangover, and Brisbane are starting to tail off and feel too rigid and predictable for the style of football they want to play. And we're consistently involved in the most exciting games in the league, which makes us by far the most watchable team for neutrals (and hopefully, soon they'll be neutrals converted to fans!)

When I say work in progress, PROGRESS is the operative word. Let's be honest, we've been on an upward trajectory ever since the takeover. No, miracles haven't happened, and CFG have made some mistakes (Koren and Villa for starters). But it's hard to argue that the takeover has been anything but fantastic for the club. Gone are the days where we wouldn't score for 6 games or win in 17 - now we seem to score 15 goals in 6 games. The CFG recruited trio of Mooy, Novillo and Fornaroli are simply the most menacing and skilful attacking trio I've ever seen in the league (I mean this, I don't think I'm just getting overexcited - though out of these players, Novillo has probably the greatest risk of a form slump). CFG group retained Mooy after an offer that any other a-league club would gratefully accept in a heartbeat, they made a sound decision (IMO) to payout Koren which no other a-league club would have even thought of doing, and their scouting has been quite exemplary (yes, I know it hasn't been perfect but who can argue that it hasn't been successful overall?). We have genuine depth now, and I felt genuine joy to see someone of the ilk of Malik come off the bench (surely he's here to plug the weak link of Paartalu! What they've done for women's football is simply unprecedented in Australia, and they should receive nothing but praise for how they've raised the bar, regardless of how commercial their motives might be.

The match itself showed improvement in our 3-5-2 structure. We still need to work on covering for the wing-backs but, when fully fit, Franjic and Zullo have the potential to be the best full/wing-back combination in the league. We have so many players who are comfortable on the ball now and that has been to our eternal benefit. One thing we need to work on is controlling the pace of the game - while lightening attacks are great, we need to work on slowing the game down and not always be too eager to get into the attacking third. Once our opposition has a spell, they seem to have a spell for at least half an hour. Calmness and slowing down of the play is an effective solution to this problem, and will also prevent us from running out of steam as we are undoubtedly tending to do.

I was really impressed with Caceres' solid contribution. It wasn't spectacular, but the kid only arrived a week ago and will get much better with a few games under his belt. Despite releasing Mauk, there's no doubt we've been strengthened by this window and if we can start to get consistency and continuity in defence, we will have a genuine tilt at the championship this season.

Edited by AzureKingfisher
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

It is his job but he's the one person in the team we want complaining that he has nothing to do.

Surely you are suggesting that Mooy and Bruno are just doing their job as well?

What I'm saying bela is when you say Sorenson saved us yet again it sounds like your saying we would have lost if he hadn't been there. And I don't tihnk this game compares to games like the derby and the WSW game where he actually did 'save us.' 

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 3

Analysis: Who'll stop City's new formation?

The headlines continue to be written by Bruno Fornaroli, Aaron Mooy and Harry Novillo but Melbourne City's title hopes may be defined by wing-backs Ivan Franjic and Michael Zullo.

City's risk-reward balance out wide paid off against Wellington Phoenix on Monday as they triumphed 3-1 at AAMI Park, but it remains uncertain whether John van 't Schip's current penchant for 3-5-2 can lead to silverware.

Van 't Schip turned to three at the back during the first half of City's match against Sydney FC on January 2 where the Sky Blues dominated the opening 30 minutes.

That match ended 2-2 and they have yet to lose playing 3-5-2 after wins over Phoenix and Western Sydney Wanderers, plus last week's draw at Perth Glory.

Playing three central defenders with two wing-backs generally provides more defensive cover as a team essentially defends with five players.

It also allows the wing-backs to attack with little fear, as attacking full-backs in a back four can sometimes leave a team undermanned in transition.

But one of the major weaknesses is the amount of running the wing-backs must do, as the 3-5-2 normally has no other natural wide players, while the formation can leave space on the flanks for the opposition.

The Phoenix had some joy on their left wing in the first half for that exact reason, as Tom Doyle and Michael McGlinchey overloaded Franjic.

McGlinchey would stay high on the flank, generally behind Franjic but outside City's right central defender Patrick Kisnorbo, and if Wellington had had a better finisher on the pitch, the former Celtic youth player's crosses may well have led to a goal.

But City's left side had no such issues as Roly Bonevacia - nominally Phoenix's right winger - played much more centrally than McGlinchey, while right-back Matthew Ridenton was less adventurous.

This allowed Zullo to focus on his attacking responsibilities, with the 27-year-old feeding Fornaroli for a stunning opening goal in the 12th minute, while the one-time Socceroos left-back produced a fizzing cross for Novillo to double the hosts' lead just after the half-hour mark.

Playing 3-5-2 benefits City two-fold; it gives Fornaroli, Novillo and Mooy freedom in the forward third, and it suits Zullo and Franjic - hardly the most defensive of full-backs - perfectly.

Franjic attacked more regularly in the second half, often receiving the ball high on the right, including in a move that saw Novillo hit the bar.

With new signing Anthony Caceres showing some good early signs as Erik Paartalu's defensive midfield partner, there was plenty to like about City's performance against the Phoenix.

But this was against a severely undermanned Wellington side.

It would be easy to imagine Melbourne Victory's resurgent wingers Kosta Barbarouses and Fahid Ben Khalfallah thriving in the space McGlinchey initially found in the next derby on February 13.

But if City can improve at the back, Monday's performance underlined the firepower at Van 't Schip's disposal.

Surely enough to lift a trophy this season.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/analysis-wholl-stop-citys-new-formation#:eCfMixKCvLP4jA

Edited by haz

4 hours ago, bergkampesque said:

Great game last night! Loved the semi final too.

some thoughts... Caceras was excellent, very calm on the ball, will be a great signing.

fitzgerald looks like an excellent bench option and will also be able to start to rest others. Provided good run.

Liked the look of Malik too. If Paartalu continues to give the ball away cheaply then he will lose his spot to Malik quick smart.

Brunos goal was wonderful. Novillo a joy to watch tonight. The fact that Mooy can play average and still impact the match like he did says a lot about him. Zullo excellent too.

defence still looked shaky at times.

Yep. Malik's 61 percent pass accuracy is very impressive!

1 hour ago, AzureKingfisher said:

CFG group retained Mooy after an offer that any other a-league club would gratefully accept in a heartbeat, they made a sound decision (IMO) to payout Koren which no other a-league club would have even thought of doing, and their scouting has been quite exemplary

We are the only true giant club of the league.

The others are only just starting the realise this. The fact that this is slowly dawning on the ones I know is priceless!

Their little Victard club was a bully in a small pond - but in this global sport arent worth the gum stuck to the bottom of CFG's old boots!

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

reading all the posts I can convincingly say that:

1. Paartalau was not up to it

2. That Partalau was close to BOG

3. That Zullo was not up to it

4. That Zullo was close to BOG

5. That Mooy was off his best

6. That Mooy was critical to the results

7. That Caceres was invisible

8. That Caceres made a solid contribution

9. That Melling had a shocker

10. That Melling was critical to our defense

11. That Franjic was not up to it

12. That Franjic was close to BOG

Have I forgotten anyone?

Great match summary. Can you do this every week? :D

Edited by playmaker

4 hours ago, NewConvert said:

reading all the posts I can convincingly say that:

1. Paartalau was not up to it

2. That Partalau was close to BOG

3. That Zullo was not up to it

4. That Zullo was close to BOG

5. That Mooy was off his best

6. That Mooy was critical to the results

7. That Caceres was invisible

8. That Caceres made a solid contribution

9. That Melling had a shocker

10. That Melling was critical to our defense

11. That Franjic was not up to it

12. That Franjic was close to BOG

Have I forgotten anyone?

We'll be a better team when Koren is back?

8 hours ago, belaguttman said:

A mostly enjoyable game and a good crowd. A bit disappointing that most people only turned up after the scheduled finish of the womens game but it did mean that most were there for the penalty shootout. The citizenship ceremony was a great initiative but if we were a stud footballing country we would have marched Bruno out of the pre-game talk for his compulsory citizenship, personally bestowed by Ange.

Positives:

Never looked like losing

Bowie

Saint Bruno as always - his workmate, persistence, positioning and technique are a joy to watch

I was concerned to see Caceras walk into a starting spot, its a poor message as starting spots should be earned. After seeing how well he fits into the team and his contribution I've been convinced. Imagining the look of bitterness and envy on Graeme Arnold's face at not getting Caceras to SFC makes it even better.

Malik looked comfortable on and off the ball and looks like being a worthy contributor. Paartalu needs to lift his game.

Sorensen saved us yet again

Zullo - great attacking contributions but his defensive positioning needs to improve and leaves us vulnerable 

Franjic - we suffered both offensively and defensively when he came off.

Negatives:

This is a game where we should have kept a clean sheet. Bonevacia was given far too much time and space to get off his (good) shot

Still poor pass completion with that crucial first pass in attacking transition. The ball is often lost in midfield.

Our current formation leaves us defending far too narrow and this will be exploited by competent wingers.

Sorry but Sorenson made two routine saves in the game. In no way did he save us.

Our ball retention could be better, but you can say that about every team in the A League.

The positives far outweighed the negatives and it was nothing to do with playing a shit team. We simply were the better team for an hour and had it sewn up when they scored.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

Sorry but Sorenson made two routine saves in the game. In no way did he save us.

Our ball retention could be better, but you can say that about every team in the A League.

The positives far outweighed the negatives and it was nothing to do with playing a shit team. We simply were the better team for an hour and had it sewn up when they scored.

So true about Sorrenson 

7 hours ago, NewConvert said:

7 minutes ago, Luke said:

So true about Sorrenson 

Come on Luke you can do better than that.

No one has mentioned him dropping the ball into Powell's chest and having the luck of it going out for a goal kick. (His "stuff up of the night"TM.)

Aside from that though I thought he was good.

Thought we played exceptionally well against an average side in the nuxs. My observation was the pressing our boys did whilst the opposition were in possession something we seldom see. Again we allowed the opposition solid midfield possession for large parts which is why I was hoping we would sign a big name midfielder as marquee. Against the more creative sides that lack of midfield possession will result in more chances created for the opposition, and perhaps that is why we are conceding so many goals.

2 minutes ago, drewmelbcity said:

Nah your right mate love ya passion stick to your guns.

Don't try to be nice mate because it unsettles me. I am too used to being ridiculed to be comfortable with people actually being discrete.

BTW watch the tards tonight, Zullo would have had his arse handed to him if he pressed like he did last night, Barbarouses would have torn him to bits.

Gee Kosta is a great player.

6 minutes ago, playmaker said:

Don't try to be nice mate because it unsettles me. I am too used to being ridiculed to be comfortable with people actually being discrete.

BTW watch the tards tonight, Zullo would have had his arse handed to him if he pressed like he did last night, Barbarouses would have torn him to bits.

Gee Kosta is a great player.

Watched the game also, thought the game lacked any innovation. Barbarouses is a good player, being a bit kind in saying great. To be honest Victory are still as flat as they were three weeks ago just fortunate that they played and even more ordinary side in Brisbane last week. If we played them  this week I would be confident of a positive result. 

And mate learn to chill. It's a forum, more challenges in life than getting worked up over a little forum banter.