Melbourne Football

The church of Carl Jenkinson thread

kingofhearts

21 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Come on. Take the time to read up what this guy is on with Forest. He should be the stand-out player in the League right from the first touch of the ball each and every match.

we have a very complicated role for our full backs so it will take a few games for anyone to get used to when to invert and when not to and also when to press and so on

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Imtellingyou said:

He's not slouch, but not as agile and mobile as a full back should be.  He's not playing his position. 

Isn’t he a traditional right full back? It’s not like we ask him to play striker.

Defensively he’s okay but our fullbacks require to be creative, hence Atkinson was such a good asset for our system.  

He was brought in as a replacement for Atkinson but is nowhere near like for like. Makes you wonder why we got him? Perhaps also to give CB coverage.

Anyway it all contributes to the lack of forward creativity and our one dimensional play at times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rass said:

I actually think Jenkinson is quite solid and has been ok.

Pretty hard to compare him to Atkinson, doubt it was ever the intention to replace that lad like for like.

That fullback role is quite unique, basically become a midfielder and allows the winger to rip wide and the overload occurs in the middle third. From memory Jamo was pretty shit for a while, but now he is probably one of the keys players in the build up. 

I think in time Jenkinson could get it, the only thing for me watching him, every pass he makes just seems very precise and not exactly natural. He looks like he's really concentrating on even the simpliest 5 yarder. It's not a criticism but more an observation, and I'm not really sure if it annoys me yet. 

7 minutes ago, Jovan said:

That fullback role is quite unique, basically become a midfielder and allows the winger to rip wide and the overload occurs in the middle third. From memory Jamo was pretty shit for a while, but now he is probably one of the keys players in the build up. 

I think in time Jenkinson could get it, the only thing for me watching him, every pass he makes just seems very precise and not exactly natural. He looks like he's really concentrating on even the simpliest 5 yarder. It's not a criticism but more an observation, and I'm not really sure if it annoys me yet. 

@JovanInteresting comment. I haven't watched much of him, but my first impression was that he could be carrying a back condition that restricts the way his body can move, not necessarily in what he can ultimately do but how fluidly he can react and move. I have one myself and that's why I noticed it. Just as an example I should be square on to a drawer before I pull it open.

47 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@JovanInteresting comment. I haven't watched much of him, but my first impression was that he could be carrying a back condition that restricts the way his body can move, not necessarily in what he can ultimately do but how fluidly he can react and move. I have one myself and that's why I noticed it. Just as an example I should be square on to a drawer before I pull it open.

Interesting. 

Maybe he's got something.

10 hours ago, Jovan said:

Interesting. 

Maybe he's got something.

I have noticed this “extreme focus and careful precise passing” but always contributed his to his height, general posture and perhaps some insecurity due to the Adelaide backpass fiasco. I can’t recall any reports on back issues but maybe JW is right.

In forward play there is a big contrast between Jenko, Atkinson and Galloway and I start to wonder how this effects a Nabbout and our midfield. 

Edited by Mr MO

25 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I have noticed this “extreme focus and careful precise passing” but always contributed his to his height, general posture and perhaps some insecurity due to the Adelaide backpass fiasco. I can’t recall any reports on back issues but maybe JW is right.

In forward play there is a big contrast between Jenko, Atkinson and Galloway and I start to wonder how this effects a Nabbout and our midfield. 

Suffered a stress fracture in his lower back in 2011 that sidelined him for three months. Later injuries include an ACL and dislocated shoulder. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Jenkinson

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Agree, it actually is noticeable the difference,  but in his last few games less so, but definitely alters the dynamic when he moves into midfield and has Nabbout waiting for the out ball.

FWIW I think he has been a good addition and come finals might be really important, you dont play for Arsenal if you are a donkey.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Agree, it actually is noticeable the difference,  but in his last few games less so, but definitely alters the dynamic when he moves into midfield and has Nabbout waiting for the out ball.

FWIW I think he has been a good addition and come finals might be really important, you dont play for Arsenal if you are a donkey.

I reckon we got him more so for CB coverage as well but will PK pick him over a fully fit Galloway you think as RB?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I reckon we got him more so for CB coverage as well but will PK pick him over a fully fit Galloway you think as RB?

Its hard to see PK dropping him. He rarely drops anyone, but at RB for me Galloway fully fit gives us more.

As CB cover, thats probably our strongest area, Good, Nuno and Griffiths are superb, then on the fringe Stokes and that bloke from NPL seem like they can do a job. You add Jenkinson, credit needs to be given to our list management for this position. 

Goalkeeper and #10 is another story.