Melbourne Football

City vs. Adelaide United, 15th January 2022

jw1739

Real mixed feelings about this game. It's hard to come to any conclusion as almost the whole list has had Covid, recovery for elite sport is not the same as recovery for day-to-day life. Given the small size of A League senior lists I think that the Covid recovery lottery is going to have a big influence on who wins this season.

In the end, probably a good result in the circumstances

Positives:

City teams in the past would have lost this game, we didn't.

Two quality goals from us

Concerns in defence, also cheap turnovers in midfield that leads to pressure on our defence.

Good game from Leckie, well motivated to play well against Adelaide but all our front three involved in our goals

Good penalty save from Glover as well as some good saves during the game

subs from PK, good to see

FTA broadcast game when the Smurfs were playing at home, it never would have happened with Fox

Negatives:

Took the lead twice, lost it twice

Glover good and bad

Reis and Jamieson both out for the next game, it's actually an opportunity to rethink our backline but it probably means Griffith stays at CB

Chris Beath, he's taken out more of our players than Covid

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I was going to post at half time that was best we've played for the season. Obviously the result changes that.

But for me going into the game i was very concerned with both the play and the form of most players, but now I'm more relaxed. 

We are still miles away from our best but i really think we are getting back to somewhere we were last season. 

Covid and suspensions are really going to test us, but it also gives opportunities for fringe players. If it wasn't for Socceroo duty last season who knows where Tilio, Colakovski would be now, and before that Atkinson and Metcalfe.

Although we drew, and again dropped points from winning positions, the signs for me are more positive than negative. 

• Like 4

It tough ATM for all players and coaches. i think we are in for an even rougher time during the international window when the mid week 'magic rounds' will also be an issue. returning players from Internationals will also be out of form. IMO draws are keeping our head above water and other results are helping. The Covid fatigue is evident in a couple of players for sure and now likely that subs are affected. what else can we do? i know we need a win desperately and i think it will come soon. 

Good result, all things considered.  Adelaide really are a turd team.  Mauk is a total prick.  Is there a crowd that boos more?

Who is our GK coach at the moment? Glover has clearly regressed in terms of some of the GK fundamentals ... 

If we can ride the wave, and stay thereabouts, we do have the potential to go on a good run which could put us back in contention ...

Coaching staff needs some strengthening ... 

14 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Good result, all things considered.  Adelaide really are a turd team.  Mauk is a total prick.  Is there a crowd that boos more?

Who is our GK coach at the moment? Glover has clearly regressed in terms of some of the GK fundamentals ... 

If we can ride the wave, and stay thereabouts, we do have the potential to go on a good run which could put us back in contention ...

Jeff Olver is the GK coach 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Torn Asunder said:

I think there's one bloke in the Adelaide crowd that just boos loudly all match near the effects mic...

And they were rotationally fouling our midfield, varying both the victim and the aggressor to hide what they were doing. Beath didn't deal with it properly.

Edited by fensaddler

2 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Jeff Olver is the GK coach 

Described officially as "interim." Not sure he's a good choice. Modern goalkeeping involves a lot more than in his days.

Basically our coaching team is pretty raw in terms of experience at this level.

• Like 1