Melbourne Football

City vs. Western Sydney, Sunday 9th January, AAMI, 6.45 p.m.

jw1739

FMD, we are pretty shit.

Going to take alot to get even close to last seasons level. 

We were lucky to get a point.

Just now, rayv36 said:

Our wingers are lacking in confidence. Would’ve liked to have seen Tillio for Nabbout and the Italian playing as the 10 / second striker. 

The team looks to be struggling in generally with lack of games and training after covid swept through the club. 

Wanderers haven't played for 3 weeks. 

We are just rubbish.

That was a clear handball against Rosty  lol, we're lucky to snatch a point in the end. 

Entertaining game though! Idk, it's too hard to judge where we're at after such a zany game like that, no less given the disruptions that have happened. Obviously we missed Good and evidently, our fitness levels were well and truly trashed by the 80th.

On to the next game

Positives:

'Anytime' means that the team was willing to play an opponent at late notice, and after a long midweek game

All but 5 players in the mens team had tested +ve to Covid, I imagine almost no training or preperation.

We scored 3 goals, and, in the end, a confidence boosting performance for Glover and an improved second half from Leckie.

Tilio looks good, he needs to start

Negatives:

Poor first 20 minutes where the inadequate preperation really showed

We miss Atkinson's midfield and attacking presence

We looked like we might concede from almost every single WSW attack.

Our conversion rate from Shots on target was our strength last season, it's very poor this season.

4 minutes ago, haz said:

The Italian is a waste of a visa spot 

He probably is still suffering from Covid

• Like 1

You miss that second creative sub like Atkinson now. Cola and Pucci on the bench, both are mysteries.

PK can’t make an excuse of covid and busy schedule if you only make 1 sub when the team played 120min on Wednesday.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

We look like one big disjointed mess our there.

We will see how it plays out the rest of the season. There is a lack of understanding going forward, resulting in confusion.

Before people say “last season we started poorly too” many have forgotten that last season all teams were a little weaker than now. We haven’t improved at all with the recruits and now lost Atkinson as well.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We will see how it plays out the rest of the season. There is a lack of confusion going forward.

Before people say “last season we started poorly too” but many have forgotten that last season all teams were a little weaker than now. We haven’t improved at all with the recruits.

A lack of confusion???? Lack of cohesion maybe?

This isn't so much a criticism of his performance as I thought he was okay in some patches today, but does anybody else get the impression that Leckie 100% hates playing for us?

He seems so disinterested and lethargic, and his matchday body language has been awful every game he's played for us since day one. I hope he's alright and I acknowledge it could be something external that's affecting him, but this definitely isn't the Mat Leckie we're accustomed to seeing nor is he the Mat Leckie we presumed we were going to get. 

I understand it to an extent - going from playing in the Bundesliga to now playing in the A-League during times like these must be depressing. But you just have to look at some of the older guys like Jamo, Maclaren, Reis, Good etc who embrace the level they're at and give their absolute all, every single game. I don't see that from Leckie, not even glimpses - and his performances only serve to reflect it.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Nate said:

This isn't so much a criticism of his performance as I thought he was okay in some patches today, but does anybody else get the impression that Leckie 100% hates playing for us?

He seems so disinterested and lethargic, and his matchday body language has been awful every game he's played for us since day one. I hope he's alright and I acknowledge it could be something external that's affecting him, but this definitely isn't the Mat Leckie we're accustomed to seeing nor is he the Mat Leckie we presumed we were going to get. 

I understand it to an extent - going from playing in the Bundesliga to now playing in the A-League during times like these must be depressing. But you just have to look at some of the older guys like Jamo, Maclaren, Reis, Good etc who embrace the level they're at and give their absolute all, every single game. I don't see that from Leckie, not even glimpses - and his performances only serve to reflect it.

IMO we have to be very mindful here that no one person is quite the same as another. We don't know Mat Leckie's personal circumstances and with the pandemic sitting over and above that, life can be incredibly stressful. I know that personally from what's happened to me. Tasks and challenges that once were trivial can now look like a mountain to climb, and you make mistakes that you would never have made before. Maybe something like that is haunting Mat Leckie.

Just some random thoughts about the game.

Looks like PK has gone back to his old ploy of not making any subs. I want to know why Cola isn't getting game time. If our club was in China I'd be getting worried for his safety. 

Whilst Leckie had one of his better games of the season, I now agree that he hasn't shown what I expected of him either. I'm pretty certain our game style isn't right up his alley of strengths as a player. I'm sure if we had a more counter attacking style he would be more dangerous by now. But his resume, ability and pay packet means he doesn't get the luxury of this as an excuse. In saying that I'm still hoping whatever the reason is that he's not performing at his best he can overcome it.  

Once again sloppy errors in focus cost us some goals. I find it incredible how disjointed we look at times. Especially when defending. At least a handful of times we had two of our players both in doubt over who should contest the ball, we allowed WSW on many occasions too much time in and around the penalty box (eg. Troisi goal). That second half we were fortunate that many of their attacking plays, especially on their right hand wing weren't converted into goals. 

Positive is once we get going we look every bit the champion winning side of last season. And each game we see that in large patches. I hope we can find consistency sooner rather than later as I'm not sure this season if we can have the luxury of allowing teams to have a too much of a gap at the top of the table.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I think we are on the brink of writing this season off.

Over reaction, possibly, its Monday morning. 

But lets not forget we have played basically all home games this season, yes weve only lost 1 but we can't expect to start winning multiple games if we cant stop making dumb mistakes. 

26 minutes ago, Jovan said:

But lets not forget we have played basically all home games this season, yes weve only lost 1 but we can't expect to start winning multiple games if we cant stop making dumb mistakes. 

I didn't realise that regarding our home games. The thought stops the optimism in its tracks, momentarily anyway. 

21 minutes ago, n i k o said:

I didn't realise that regarding our home games. The thought stops the optimism in its tracks, momentarily anyway. 

The mess that the country is in I don't think it's worth thinking about anything except the next match - if there is one.

50 minutes ago, Jovan said:

As pointed out in the podcast with WSW being a shitshow etc they are only 3 points behind city with the same amount of games played and after yesterday probably should be on level points 

2 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Didn't watch the game. How did O'Neill and Metcalfe do?

O’Neill can be really industrious at times but got swamped. When WSW went forward, keeping Rodwell and Troisi at bay was too much as he was outnumbered 2v1. This was the reason we looked so open at the back. Needed a tactical adjustment but that never came.

Metcalf relatively anonymous, it’s always hit or miss with Connor lately. Couple of shots missed the target and a good cross.

Why you ask about them two?

Again with the no subs thing. 

WSW have looked vulnerable all game, we've had a lot of attacking play after two weeks of presumably minimal training, and understandably have been sloppy and were only continuing this late game. We have also been vulnerable in the closing minutes of virtually every game this season.

How are we still not making subs?

Colakovski would be perfect to run at tired legs in the last 10, Pucciarelli looks to be a good runner and would allow Tilio to push out wide again (would also mean we get Pucciarelli some gametime to find his feet). Our only move seems to be taking Berenguer off, I get that was one of Leckies better halves but he was looking tired and still did not have the potency we needed. 

Positively at least Glover had a good game again (although conceded 3 so I dunno). 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Didn't watch the game. How did O'Neill and Metcalfe do?

Fairly well, I think not consistently playing has made them loose a bit of sharpness.

I thought O''Neill was pretty good defensively, seemed to win most headers and put in some good tackles, a few wayward passes, but overall he did alright.

Metcalf was defensively alright, sometimes he just stops and wanders around, a few times he was on the wing filling in for Jameson who was out of position and did really well in his place. He made some really good penetrating passes and runs. He got into some scoring positions but seemed to hesitate a bit, was better in the second half in that reguard but I would like to see him have a go more often.

That's my 2 cents on those guys.

1 hour ago, The Aardvark said:

Again with the no subs thing. 

WSW have looked vulnerable all game, we've had a lot of attacking play after two weeks of presumably minimal training, and understandably have been sloppy and were only continuing this late game. We have also been vulnerable in the closing minutes of virtually every game this season.

How are we still not making subs?

Colakovski would be perfect to run at tired legs in the last 10, Pucciarelli looks to be a good runner and would allow Tilio to push out wide again (would also mean we get Pucciarelli some gametime to find his feet). Our only move seems to be taking Berenguer off, I get that was one of Leckies better halves but he was looking tired and still did not have the potency we needed. 

Positively at least Glover had a good game again (although conceded 3 so I dunno). 

As much as I love PK and I really do….without trying to sound too harsh but to remain realistic, I’m afraid the stars aren’t aligned for becoming an individual top coach. Unfortunately too many flaws IMO. Tactics and subs was already an issue last season but hey the players kept scoring and essentially covering the cracks. People management and then the already brought up media appearance are other areas which need work.

Then again the individual performances of certain players don’t help at all. Can a Leckie and Jmac be coached back into form?

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Mr MO said:

O’Neill can be really industrious at times but got swamped. When WSW went forward, keeping Rodwell and Troisi at bay was too much as he was outnumbered 2v1. This was the reason we looked so open at the back. Needed a tactical adjustment but that never came.

Metcalf relatively anonymous, it’s always hit or miss with Connor lately. Couple of shots missed the target and a good cross.

Why you ask about them two?

Well I have great expectations for Connor Metcalfe and I am not entirely convinced by O'Neill to have such a pivotal role in the game plan. It seems that Metcalfe has stalled this season and that O'Neill has not improved.

1 minute ago, NewConvert said:

Well I have great expectations for Connor Metcalfe and I am not entirely convinced by O'Neill to have such a pivotal role in the game plan. It seems that Metcalfe has stalled this season and that O'Neill has not improved.

I suspect the difference is Luna. He did a lot more than we gave credit for, and created space and time for those around him.

• Like 4