Melbourne Football

City vs. Western Sydney, Sunday 9th January, AAMI, 6.45 p.m.

jw1739

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

And an offer to all members of up to four guest passes. Suspect there's considerable concern that COVID will keep a lot of us at home.

I think that you are right on target. We're not getting any information flow, we're playing poorly and COVID is rampant - why bother and why take the risk?

1 minute ago, HughJass said:

Looks like it assumed he served his 1 week during Phoenix match 

Thanks I just saw they send a email out as well:

In a huge boost for City, Jamie Maclaren is available for selection again after serving his one-game suspension following his late sending-off in the Christmas Derby. The striker has scored more goals against Western Sydney than any other team he’s faced and has netted seven goals in his five meetings with the Wanderers as a City player.

It's incredible to think our last A-League match was the scintillating 2-2 derby draw which captivated the league's fans as a whole and yet now, we're going into this match with about as much momentum as a half-baked Corolla.

Idk if I can be arsed either, personally. Crazy, crazy shit times.

I'm not surprised. In those three weeks the COVID situation has changed dramatically, and irrespective of the reasons, our result against Wellington was very disappointing. The drop-off number of contributions to this Forum has also been very noticeable.

It's a bloody weird time. I'd made all the home matches up to the derby, and went to the South Melbourne cup tie. Missed the derby due to COVID caution and an aversion to the close company of ferals, and ever since the world has gone to hell in a handcart. Went into the CBD for an art exhibition yesterday, and the city felt apocalyptically weird. Got the hell out once we'd been to the show and felt thoroughly spooked by the atmosphere. Had the expected message from work yesterday to work from home next week. We all know people who've had, or got, COVID.  I still don't know whether I will go tomorrow. Would normally be a no brainer but these are scary times.

1 hour ago, Zanty said:

Damn, I feel like I am the only person who is going to be there at this point.

There's a story somewhere where just one man votes in the USA(?) elections because the computers can work out the national voting pattern from his answers. Maybe you're the "crowd" for this match...

Edit: The story is "Franchise" by Isaac Asimov. I was a big fan of his at one stage.

Edited by jw1739

Last few days was fully committed to go this arvo for the double header, but woke up today with a gut feeling of staying in. No paticular reason but just a nagging feeling of best to stay home.

Probably over cautious but I've learnt to trust my gut.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

From our normal group of dorks we only have two going today, which I think might be the lowest number we've had ever. 

I don't think any of our gang are going. I think there's only two who are under 60 so for the rest it just isn't worth it. It's not only the match, it's using PT as well.

I have no fear of going cause of covid, I'm going to catch it eventually. I'm not going cause it's 6.45 on a Sunday night. Fuck me there is no other games on today and it's 24 degrees, surely they could have moved the women forward to 2pm and the men to 4.30

It is indeed a stupid KO time. It's why I've said elsewhere that IMO the League needs to focus on getting spectators back in stadiums. It is all very well to crap on about digital platforms, but most of the attraction of the game lies in the participation of the live crowd actually there. I'm not suggesting that the push into the digital market should be abandoned, but matches played in empty stadiums will not sustain the league.

In terms of COVID a little bit of thought regarding car-parking, entry and seating could make our normal attendance in a 30,000-seat stadium as COVID-safe as a visit to the local shopping centre. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MCMLIII said:

I thought after finally winning the league that this club would begin to attract more spectators. So far I don't see any change.

As I wrote in a PM to another Forum member, as a club you have to commit to success on the field. It has to be the number one objective and seen to be so in everything you do.

Just now, Jovan said:

Leckie better this half. Obviously from a very low point, but maybe just maybe this is the half he actually plays to the level we expect. 

I see us smashing them in the second. 

5:2 in coming. 

I find it fascinating that he doesn’t get pass his man, not once all games he’s played. It’s so critical for a winger to make that move.

• Like 1

Just now, Mr MO said:

I find it fascinating that he doesn’t get pass his man, not once all games he’s played. It’s so critical for a winger to make that move.

Agree, confidence. 

Hes at rhe point where he'd prefer to play the safe ball back than taking o his man.

He's a beast, more than Nabbout IMO. 

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Agree, confidence. 

Hes at rhe point where he'd prefer to play the safe ball back than taking o his man.

He's a beast, more than Nabbout IMO. 

Yeah not the guy I’ve seen play for the Socceroos. Watch the awareness as well, constantly gets caught out by players around him, as he had no idea opponents were remotely near him.