Melbourne Football

Nathaniel Atkinson

Murfy1

On 04/09/2020 at 4:42 PM, fensaddler said:

Take from this that it may not be over. Looked to me like Perth tried to bounce it, and I suspect the player sees the world differently to February. So much is in flux that this could all change again. Right now the move to Perth looks bonkers. They're in turmoil, haven't paid their players, barely turned up for the post lockdown season, and don't have a manager. Why would you leave one of the two clubs paying wages consistently, where you're a regular pick, performing well, a terrace hero, and who have just been edged in the GF? And your former youth team manager, who rates you, has just taken over. Not over until the fat lady warbles I reckon... 

Yeah, we may have a small chance of keeping him perhaps.

fingers crossed.

Right now he must feel a goose. 

• 3 weeks later...

We don't know the detail of what he may have signed - it may have been a conditional agreement that Perth were no longer able to meet. Also, even if City players have been asked to take a 10% pay cut, Atkinson may have had an increase coming anyway, and even with the cut he is on more than he was last season.

We don't know and don't need to. The important thing is that he's a fan favourite, a damned good player and he's staying. It's what we need as a club - something to believe in.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We don't know and don't need to. The important thing is that he's a fan favourite, a damned good player and he's staying. It's what we need as a club - something to believe in.

I don't buy that opinion. 

He walked, got there and realized he was worse off and then was lucky to come back.

Both decisions indicate he wasn't willing to suck it up and work to get what he wanted. Next time things get tough what is he going to do?

His last 10 games were exceptional and we are a better team with him starting, but to me personally now its time for him to prove himself and make sure his next move is for the right reasons not the easiest.  

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

I cant believe it but it took Archie Thompson on the telecast last night to point out how good Atkinson is and has been. Since he has come back and been fully fit his link up with Nabbout on the right is unstoppable, and he knows this inverted system so much better than when Garuccio or Galloway was playing RB. 

Many people (fox mainly) all jerk over Tate Russell should be the olyroos RB, but it's not even close. Atkinson is in top 3 or 4 RB in league, and should be the first fullback picked in the plane to Tokyo 

• Like 3

Massive difference when you have a player like Nabbout in front of you. He can join in the attack when needed and just do his role, which he has been doing brilliantly.

Last year, he was trying too hard at times because he had to do both his and Wales's role at the same time. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

I mean, last time I remember Atkinson in that much distress he'd torn his ankle ligaments and missed yonks, so I'm not quite sure of that.

Think that was 2-3 weeks from memory.

4 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I remember the injury as it happened right in front of me. He certainly returned quicker than anticipated but not sure if it was 2 to 3 weeks.

https://www.ftbl.com.au/news/city-confirm-extent-of-atkinson-injury-481583

He was back in action on 24th February 2018 after an injury that that article said could be 6-12 months...

2 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Yeah Galloway and Garrucio could nearly both be the best understudy at either fullback position. 

Many don’t see it that way as both do not have the same attacking quality and impulses as Atkinson. He really gave the team another dimension.

Both are worthy fullbacks for this league but we might have lost our edge a little. Personally I like Galloway more for the RB position. Gooch isn’t a natural right side player.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2