Melbourne Football

Nathaniel Atkinson

Murfy1

This is a good move for Nat. Itā€™s to a higher standard but one heā€™ll surely start in. If he continues to improve (like we all expect) heā€™ll move to a bigger league again. It sits us on our arse though. To be honest when he didnā€™t leave in the off season I thought weā€™d have him for another year.

Anyway enjoy @Scotsman in peaceĀ you have a gunĀ on the rise here.

PS shout out to my nemesis wazza who gave the kid a start. Clearly the bloke knew talent at least.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/match-made-in-heaven-for-nathaniel

Ā 

MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN FOR NATHANIEL

10th January 2022

Nathaniel Atkinson reckons he and Hearts are a "match made in heaven" after completing his transfer to Tynecastle.

The 22-year-old right-back arrived in Edinburgh today after agreeing a three-and-a-half year deal with the Jambos last month. After a trophy-laden spell with Melbourne City, the man from Tasmania says it was a straightforward choice to make the switch to Gorgie.

"it took some time to get it all sorted with Visas and such, but It's good to finally be here," he told Hearts TV.

"I first heard about Hearts' interest about a month or two ago. I had gotten to a stage in my career where I was ready to play in Europe, and fortunately Hearts were interested. It was a match made in heaven and things moved pretty quickly after that."

A familiar face awaits Nathaniel in former Australia Olympics teammate Cammy Devlin at Tynecastle. Our midfield maestro cheekily took to social media to try and speed up Nat's move, with the right-back looking forward to teaming up once again with his old friend.

"I've known Cammy for about three years; first met in the junior Australian camps. We hit it off straight away; he's a bit of a rascal! It'll be good to see him again."

"A lot of Australians have come here, done well and had a great career out of it. I think that's pleasing and reassuring that this was the right move for me."

With the contract signed and the players due to return to training tomorrow: all attention turns to the second half of the season, with Nathaniel crystal clear on his long-term aims at Hearts.

"Win as many trophies as possible and to play for the fans and enjoy myself. I think when you're happy and enjoying yourself, that's when your best football is played.

"I'm so excited to play at Tynecastle. The fan culture is slightly different in Europe than Australia. I know that Hearts fans bleed for the club and fight for the players. I can't wait to be part of that."

Nathaniel's Hearts TV interview is available to watch in fullĀ by clicking here.

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, kingofhearts said:

Will be in the epl by the end of the year. Book it.

Reading the Hearts forum, it seems the general consensus is that he is an exciting talent, but still has shortcomings in the defensive side of hisĀ game.

I like Atkinson, but I am very sceptical that he will be playing in EPL next season (at best he gets picked up by an EPL team n loaned out).

4 hours ago, malloy said:

Reading the Hearts forum, it seems the general consensus is that he is an exciting talent, but still has shortcomings in the defensive side of hisĀ game.

I like Atkinson, but I am very sceptical that he will be playing in EPL next season (at best he gets picked up by an EPL team n loaned out).

Occasionally do as well but my take on it is that he is playing the City way in a team that does not play the City way. He ventures forward expecting others to provide cover which is the way Melbourne City play but Hearts game style is more static. Which is why they got belted by both Celtic and Rangers.

I haven't seen any Hearts matches so not sure.

Just now, NewConvert said:

Occasionally do as well but my take on it is that he is playing the City way in a team that does not play the City way. He ventures forward expecting others to provide cover which is the way Melbourne City play but Hearts game style is more static. Which is why they got belted by both Celtic and Rangers.

I haven't seen any Hearts matches so not sure.

That may very well be the case, but most EPL teams will expect the same kind of defensive work.

I hope he does go on to bigger and better things, and I honestly think he will, I just don't think it will be the EPLĀ by the end of the year.

6 minutes ago, malloy said:

That may very well be the case, but most EPL teams will expect the same kind of defensive work.

I hope he does go on to bigger and better things, and I honestly think he will, I just don't think it will be the EPLĀ by the end of the year.

I agree. I am just wondering whether Hearts is the right club for him.

As a full back hes exceptional in an attacking sense imo, but theres is zero doibt in my mind that hes got defensive shortcomings. Tbf i think he got better in that aspect at City over the last 12 months, but its also worth keeping in mind he was largely playing in the best side in the league.

Big difference being weaker defensively in a team that needs to defend more often.

10 minutes ago, bt50 said:

As a full back hes exceptional in an attacking sense imo, but theres is zero doibt in my mind that hes got defensive shortcomings. Tbf i think he got better in that aspect at City over the last 12 months, but its also worth keeping in mind he was largely playing in the best side in the league.

Big difference being weaker defensively in a team that needs to defend more often.

Given Hearts play a 3-4-3, with Atkinson as one of the wing backs, it can be difficult trying to balance the defensive duties with the expectations that you will attack.

The CBs tend to treat wing backs as if they are fullbacks (and demand they defend as if they were - which causes issues with them marking players that aren't their primary responsibility and having to leave others unmarked or force others out of position), but whenever the team goes forward they are expected to be right up there providing width. Imo playing as a wingback is different (and more difficult) than playing as an attacking full back or a winger.

Whilst not attributing his defensive weaknesses in Scotland to the above, it may be an additional factor as to his poor defensive showing over there (reading the Hearts forum it sounds like this aspect if his game might have gone backwards).

• Like 2