Melbourne Football

Nathaniel Atkinson

Murfy1

19 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Many don’t see it that way as both do not have the same attacking quality and impulses as Atkinson. He really gave the team another dimension.

Both are worthy fullbacks for this league but we might have lost our edge a little. Personally I like Galloway more for the RB position. Gooch isn’t a natural right side player.

That’s how I see it. We will be a worse team without him, simply because of his ability to carry the ball and his creativity. He tormented many wingers and RBs with Nabbout and their combination will be hard to replicate. Time will tell how we go with Garuccio and Galloway. They’re not bad players, both are solid, but neither are as talented or dynamic as Atkinson going forward. 

• Like 1

We still got Jamo, so between Gooch Galloway and Jamo we still have seasoned pros that can fill both fullback positions. 

Of course Atkinson under his current form was miles ahead especially going forward but I wouldn't be surprised in a couple games Galloway could reach similar. Jamo probably not and 100% agree Garuccio is completely left sided and him playing on the right just didn't work for me.

Overall Atkinson gone sucks but isn't a season deciding injury.

And those that questioned the squad early doors should revisit that because as I stated the squad was good my fears was the coach, and currently he is above my expectations. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Jovan said:

We still got Jamo, so between Gooch Galloway and Jamo we still have seasoned pros that can fill both fullback positions. 

Of course Atkinson under his current form was miles ahead especially going forward but I wouldn't be surprised in a couple games Galloway could reach similar. Jamo probably not and 100% agree Garuccio is completely left sided and him playing on the right just didn't work for me.

Overall Atkinson gone sucks but isn't a season deciding injury. 

Agreed, my only concern is PK seems to favour Benny a lot - always first sub and first replacement. I can see him being put on RB again to replace Atko.

Both Galloway and Garuccio have pretty good CVs, and they're both only 26. Not much to choose between them. Jamo has been much better these past few matches. Sure we're going to miss Atkinson, but I think we can do it. A bigger need for me is for guys like Nabbout and Berenguer, and to some extent even Jmac, to put away a couple more chances every match. Then we would really be cruising.

• Like 2

I dont think anyone would argue Natty is now our best full back and we definitely lose a little bit in terms of attacking power when he's out, but the same is also true that Garrucio, Jamieson and Galloway are all slightly above average A League full backs. Perhaps Galloway is right on the average mark, but def still capable.
If we had to cop a bad injury, its probably a good position to cop it in.

Edited by bt50
  • Like 2

I think Atkinson learnt so much from Shekeveld, obviously he has his own style, but Bart was really good for him and improved him greatly.

I see some things he does is related and obvious, but I even think he made him more aggressive and determined than he was.

Edited by moops

• 2 months later...

The way that you know he has become a serious player. All the Fox crew admit he is the definite starting RB for the olyroos. They have stopped their ridiculous circle jerk of Tate Russell and actually opened their eyes to someone outside of Sydney. 

The way he is going, one more good season from him and he will find himself overseas 

• Like 2

Talk about sliding doors. What would've happened if Atkinson and Nabbout had signed for Perth and fulfilled their contracts?

We were so fortunate not to lose them. Atkinson started off the season strongly and ended it even stronger. His injury took him out of action for a couple of months but he was instrumental in the GF and Finals Series. Nabbout was the catalyst for our Premiership. He flicked the switch on our season and we became a juggernaut with him one of the driving forces.

It's worked out great for Atkinson and Nabbout, and of course City. The only losers here are Perth.

Luck plays its part in all successes but it looks to have played a big part in ours with these two blokes remaining City players.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, haz said:

Hate to see him go, but we'll be getting some money and he'll be going to (in my opinion) a great team for his ability + growth. 

likewise, i feel conflicted to see him go. glad we get some money from the deal, and Atkinson gets his move overseas.

one issue i see when a lot of young Australians go overseas is they get lured by a big club in a big league, only to get limited game time.  the beauty of Hearts is that there should be plenty of opportunity to get game time.  my concern is if the SPL is big enough to get properly notice / thorough competition. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Aardvark said:

Good move hopefully. A league and team where he should be pushing for a starting place and regular gametime and gives him a good starting point for Europe. Much better than Arzanis pathway. 

tbf regarding Arzani (and the same could be said for Curtis Good's move to Newcastle Utd), doing your ACL (being injury prone at the start) during your first few games never helps.  and for every Arzani there is a Aaron Mooy. 

of course, it also helps when they have a good few seasons in the a league under their belts first before they go overseas.

Edited by mattyh001

27 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

tbf regarding Arzani (and the same could be said for Curtis Good's move to Newcastle Utd), doing your ACL (being injury prone at the start) during your first few games never helps.  and for every Arzani there is a Aaron Mooy. 

of course, it also helps when they have a good few seasons in the a league under their belts first before they go overseas.

My biggest worry is the injury risk from the transition from an Australian summer to a Scottish winter.

5 minutes ago, Scotsman in peace said:

Hearts Fan here folks.

He will get game time here.  We bought Cammy Devlin earlier this year and he has been a revelation in the team, total pitbull of a player and loves to wind up the opposition.  There is a podcast, which I have linked below, where one of the presenters asks Cammy about other Aussie players and he mentioned Nathaniel Atkinson.  We are pretty excited about seeing this young man play!!!!

https://scarvesaroundthefunnel.co.uk/2021/10/06/episode-154-from-a-land-down-under/

As for recognition beyond our league, don't worry, if he smashes it up here then bigger teams come calling!

You've got a good one lads. He's a genuine gun, has pace to burn and can turn a whole game on its head. Take care of him for us :')

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

You've got a good one lads. He's a genuine gun, has pace to burn and can turn a whole game on its head. Take care of him for us :')

Oh we will mate.  If he put's in 100% then he will be loved by every fan.  Pitch in a few goals, assists and a few crunching tackles, we will literally offer our daughters to him.

25 minutes ago, Scotsman in peace said:

Oh we will mate.  If he put's in 100% then he will be loved by every fan.  Pitch in a few goals, assists and a few crunching tackles, we will literally offer our daughters to him.

he is one of like 3 aussie young kids that have the potential to be world class. he dominated vs spain and argentina

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

He is also a very passionate player with a bit of mongrel in him who gives his all.

Sad to see him leave, but we all knew it was inevitable.

• Like 2