Melbourne Football

Nathaniel Atkinson

Murfy1

Tasmanian young gun signs for Melbourne City

One of Tasmania ’s most prodigious young talents has made his first step towards an A-League dream, with Riverside boy Nathaniel Atkinson signing for the Melbourne City Youth team for 2016. 

Atkinson, 16, of Riverside, had a fantastic 2015 as part of Tasmania’s National Training Centre (NTC) squad. His year included a match against Melbourne City on tour in Melbourne, where Atkinson caught their eye with a blistering hat trick. He also starred at the NTC Challenge for the nation’s finest young soccer stars, scoring six of Tasmania's 12 goals in the tournament. Tasmania’s NTC Coach Kenny Weston said the midfielder’s Youth League contract was just rewards for an impressive year.

"Nathaniel had a memorable 2015, formerly a flying winger I converted him to a box to box midfielder and he flourished,” Weston said.

"Nat scored a hat trick in a practice game against Melbourne City in July, scoring within 15 seconds of the start of the game which instantly put him on City’s radar.  He followed this up with a successful trial period and has signed for the club. 

"Nat can play both in midfield and as a winger and is a real match winner, he weighs in heavily with both goals and assists.  He has exceptional ability to go past opponents effortlessly with pace, skill and speed.  He should target playing NYL in 2016,” Weston explained.

Joining City is a dream come true for the determined Atkinson, who is a mad fan of Melbourne City’s parent club Manchester City.

“It is going to be a great experience but an even bigger challenge. I've still got a long way to go, I can’t wait to get over and show them what I am made of,” Atkinson said. 

“I've been a Manchester City fan since day one so that just adds to the excitement of the move,” he added.

Atkinson will join Melbourne City this week, joining the club from the 15th of January, 2016. He will play in the NPL Victoria 1 competition in 2016 and will aim for a starting berth in the next Youth League season.

http://www.footballfedtas.com.au/index.php?id=15&tx_ttnews[year]=2016&tx_ttnews[month]=01&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=1399&cHash=f625a78b44428cff53ddfdf9c8df6e1b

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

In before he makes a 15 minute cameo off the bench in the seniors, doesn't score a goal and all the school boy experts on here want him released.

Or makes one or two mistakes but plays his arse off and saves us in numerous matches but still gets pilloried on here like Sorenson

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
13 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Walkerists cant claim this one; they werent calling for Atkinson they were calling for Pieiras. Most didnt even know who he was.

Agreed. Furthermore, Walker's first game was brilliant too.

One game doesn't make the player, and that's the major reason the Walkerists cop so much shit. All it takes is one game (sometimes less than that) and a player is named as the second coming and there's riots if he doesn't start every week afterwards.

Edited by Embee

3 minutes ago, Embee said:

Regardless, Walker's first game was brilliant too.

One game doesn't make the player, and that's the major reason the Walkerists cop so much shit. All it takes is one game (sometimes less than that) and a player is named as the second coming and there's riots if he doesn't start every week afterwards.

@Embee With respect, I think you have the wrong Walker. It was the free-scoring goal-poacher Zac Walker that "Walkerists" were calling for, not Jeremy. And most of them had never seen Zac play.

But doesn't matter - your point is well made.

Edited by jw1739

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@Embee With respect, I think you have the wrong Walker. It was the free-scoring goal-poacher Zac Walker that "Walkerists" were calling for, not Jeremy. And most of them had never seen Zac play.

But doesn't matter - your point is well made.

I always thought it was to do with Jeremy as the term only started appearing after Zac had been released (iirc).

Maybe @cadete can clarify as I believe he coined the term.

5 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

Not like the hastily deleted insta follow request today didn't piss me off enough 

That wasn't even me, @Infernograbbed my phone 

23 minutes ago, Embee said:

Boosting my ego like that is only gonna get you in more trouble with @thisphantomfortress

I prefer you any day haha

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rass said:

Positionally though from the week before, the replacement for Muscat was Malik and Atkinson replaced Budzinski. 

Interesting to see what will happen for Sydney but i think experience will get the nod away.

I think Muscat will make the bench for Tongyik but we'll go in with an unchanged XI at this stage. Still early in the week though.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/palatsides-it-was-a-really-good-performance

I don't know whether previous Head Coaches have attended youth matches on a regular basis, but it's mentioned here that Joyce was in attendance at City's NYL win over Perth last Saturday. So he is seeing the boys first hand and not just relying on reports from Palatsides.

21 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/palatsides-it-was-a-really-good-performance

I don't know whether previous Head Coaches have attended youth matches on a regular basis, but it's mentioned here that Joyce was in attendance at City's NYL win over Perth last Saturday. So he is seeing the boys first hand and not just relying on reports from Palatsides.

what i think is more interesting is that Joyce likes entirely different qualities in a youth player than JVS. for example Arzani, Genreau and Pieras were the JVS young players of choice. Under the new coach joyce, none of those players have seen a proper A league game. And in my opinion won't see one either. Joyce likes tough and pacey players with good defensive qualities first and foremost. But also they need to be humble. He obviously doesn't see what he wants in the former  three i mentioned.  Tongyik is another. he was a first 11 under JVS, but now is a youth player again. Joyce watches youth games so he can make up his own mind. palatsides loves Arzani, but Joyce will decide if he goes anywhere with this club. I reckon some of these young players will leave in Jan. Arzani contract expires at the end of this season so why would he stay. 

46 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

According to some reports on this forum, JVS was also a regular at youth games.

21 minutes ago, citymad said:

what i think is more interesting is that Joyce likes entirely different qualities in a youth player than JVS. for example Arzani, Genreau and Pieras were the JVS young players of choice. Under the new coach joyce, none of those players have seen a proper A league game. And in my opinion won't see one either. Joyce likes tough and pacey players with good defensive qualities first and foremost. But also they need to be humble. He obviously doesn't see what he wants in the former  three i mentioned.  Tongyik is another. he was a first 11 under JVS, but now is a youth player again. Joyce watches youth games so he can make up his own mind. palatsides loves Arzani, but Joyce will decide if he goes anywhere with this club. I reckon some of these young players will leave in Jan. Arzani contract expires at the end of this season so why would he stay. 

This. Also applies to seniors. Which also brings the question of whether a coach is good for a player and when they change clubs things improve.

1 hour ago, citymad said:

Joyce specifically mentioned Arzani in his press conference before the last game and then put him on the bench. Not so sure he's out of Wazza's plans.