Melbourne Football

City vs the 'Nix FFA Cup QF - Kingston Heath - 7.30 p.m. 5th January

mattyh001

Wonder if we will play it at AAMI or take it to a suburban ground? Could be cool to play it somewhere like at Bentleigh Greens’ ground (where we are hosting some women’s games this year) just to trial the whole playing in the SE thing, and also because I don’t imagine a very big crowd is to be expected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Wonder if we will play it at AAMI or take it to a suburban ground? Could be cool to play it somewhere like at Bentleigh Greens’ ground (where we are hosting some women’s games this year) just to trial the whole playing in the SE thing, and also because I don’t imagine a very big crowd is to be expected. 

We've always played these games at AAMI, though they've usually been pre-season. We'll maximise our crowd if we play at AAMI, and the fixture is likely to be on a night when we would have been playing there anyway. Three days before Christmas what could be better?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

We've always played these games at AAMI, though they've usually been pre-season. We'll maximise our crowd if we play at AAMI, and the fixture is likely to be on a night when we would have been playing there anyway. Three days before Christmas what could be better?

It's definitely been an unfavourable situation for the NPL teams given that it's well into their post-season, but the cup is going to garner a lot more support and merit if it's played during the A-League season. I know I'm more pumped for this than I would have been if it were a pre-season game that's inevitably going to be treated as a friendly.

27 minutes ago, Nate said:

It's definitely been an unfavourable situation for the NPL teams given that it's well into their post-season, but the cup is going to garner a lot more support and merit if it's played during the A-League season. I know I'm more pumped for this than I would have been if it were a pre-season game that's inevitably going to be treated as a friendly.

There’s also a deadline for the cup this year as the winner qualifies for the preliminary rounds of the Champions League. So they need to have it wrapped up by the time that starts 

21 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Casey fields it is 22 December 7:30pm

location works out great for me but is very disappointing in general.  wondering if they have done this thinking that people won't come out being a midweek game during the week of Christmas and that our attendance against Perth was shite.

Edited by mattyh001

2 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

location works out great for me but is very disappointing in general.  wondering if they have done this thinking that people won't come out being the week of Christmas and that our attendance against Perth was shite.

Probably just saving the cost of hiring AAMI Park. Three days before Christmas, FFA Cup, middle of a pandemic...does anyone really care?

But in the longer term I'm not sure it's sending the right message about Melbourne "City."

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, citypool said:

With all respect to everyone they have to try something different because people are not turning up at Aami park 

People don't turn up to AAMI Park for a whole variety of reasons. One of the main ones is that we are steadily losing our identity, and moving matches to Cranbourne isn't going to help that. Unfortunately, City Football Group has so much money that it can manipulate football into taking the direction it wants rather than one that the fans of the game would like to see.

4 hours ago, citypool said:

With all respect to everyone they have to try something different because people are not turning up at Aami park 

We are coming out of lockdowns where numerous people are still working from home and plenty of people are attending christmas functions etc.

Moving it out to Casey Fields will just exacerbate the problem.

Honestly, the club can go fuck themselves over this.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

I’m fine with moving some games around for the cup. I remember in its first season we played Sydney in Ballarat. But obviously would be against this if it were a league game. 

I disagree. You either have a home ground or you don't. Further, if you actually want the FFA Cup to be a significant competition in its own right and not just a pre-season run-around, then you treat it as such.

IMO the club ought to issue a statement on why the match is being played where it is - surely members are entitled to that? 

It's fine to set up your training and administrative base where it suits you, but if you're interested in growing support for the club IMO with Melbourne's radial train system, any move of matches out of the CBD is a poor move.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I disagree. You either have a home ground or you don't. Further, if you actually want the FFA Cup to be a significant competition in its own right and not just a pre-season run-around, then you treat it as such.

IMO the club ought to issue a statement on why the match is being played where it is - surely members are entitled to that? 

It's fine to set up your training and administrative base where it suits you, but if you're interested in growing support for the club IMO with Melbourne's radial train system, any move of matches out of the CBD is a poor move.

So what if with the overhanging Omnicrom situation the club was asked to consider not to use AAMI? 

6 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

So what if with the overhanging Omnicrom situation the club was asked to consider not to use AAMI? 

Of course that would be perfectly reasonable. That is why IMO the club should issue a statement. At this stage we don't know anything except that it's at Casey Fields. Is it behind closed doors?

4 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

What’s the point in hiring out AAMI Park for what most likely to be around 4-5k crowd at best. 

it’s the FFA Cup time to take it out to the regions, not going to hurt anyone and good to see club trying something else. If it was an Aleague game that would be different 

Not going to hurt anyone? Now look, I'm not going to sook like Victory fans over their TIFO, but plenty of us are more than mildly pissed off that the club has chosen to stage a match at a location that most of us will really struggle to get to. That feels a lot like 'fuck off you don't matter' when you live in Geelong. 

4 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

What’s the point in hiring out AAMI Park for what most likely to be around 4-5k crowd at best. 

it’s the FFA Cup time to take it out to the regions, not going to hurt anyone and good to see club trying something else. If it was an Aleague game that would be different 

And on the hiring out of AAMI.

1. Those 4 or 5000 are our loyal fans.

2. We've done it before. 

3. We don't need to open all the stands.

14 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Not going to hurt anyone? Now look, I'm not going to sook like Victory fans over their TIFO, but plenty of us are more than mildly pissed off that the club has chosen to stage a match at a location that most of us will really struggle to get to. That feels a lot like 'fuck off you don't matter' when you live in Geelong. 

And on the hiring out of AAMI.

1. Those 4 or 5000 are our loyal fans.

2. We've done it before. 

3. We don't need to open all the stands.

It’s not ideal I get that. I’m not going either as it’s 1.5 hours for me if traffic is good but not like we haven’t done this before. Didn’t we play a FFA Cup game against Sydney in Ballarat ?

37 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

It’s not ideal I get that. I’m not going either as it’s 1.5 hours for me if traffic is good but not like we haven’t done this before. Didn’t we play a FFA Cup game against Sydney in Ballarat 

I've seen quite a few preseason matches up at Ballarat, but I think they were all friendlies. I don't think we've played FFA ties there, and certainly not last eight ties against anyone. Last eight home ties, even preseason, have always been at AAMI. Casey Fields is worse for me to get to than Ballarat. Ballarat is closer and I've been there plenty of times before...

• jw1739 changed the title to City vs the 'Nix FFA Cup QF - Casey Fields - 7.30 p.m. 22nd December 2021

Free entry apparently. Tempted to go check it out but it’s a long drive in Wednesday night traffic for me. Also just heard it’s on the oval used for AFLW and not the rectangular ground we play NPL at 😕

Just had a quick search to see what it would be like and apparently it’s okay but still football on an oval is never ideal

18 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Awful communication from the club for a game which is 3 days away though. 

Diabolical. Go to the club's own webpage for the match https://melbournecityfc.com.au/fixtures/melbourne-city-fc-v-wellington-phoenix-fc-ffa-cup-22-12-2021/5gud7p30tucxxts1fyedhd6ac and have a look. It says nothing other than "Casey Fields." Then look at the "Latest News" below - and tell me what relevance those items have to the match on 22nd?

This is how to piss people off big time.

• Like 3

Costs 50k to hire AAMI, regardless of what the event is. 

Would be losing huge money on regular season home games, let alone FFA cup games to play there. 

Wouldn't surprise me if this is being used as a test case for a new stadium also. Gauging fans attendances from the area, as well as wining and dining local powerbrokers.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

TBH I find the lack of information on the details of this venue and facilities that patrons can expect if they go to be breathtaking. 

I'll give you the info, I live about 5 minutes from casey fields. 

There is absolutely fuck all there, not the easiest place to get there by public transport, not great car parking especially if something else is on at the other fields (and there is the main covid testing centre for the area there) and while it's a nice oval for footy it's not ideal for round ball football. 

I assume there will be some food of food/drink truck but who knows what. 

I imagine it will be pretty basic, wouldn't expect much to be honest 

• Like 1

• jw1739 changed the title to City vs the 'Nix FFA Cup QF - Kingston Heath - 7.30 p.m. 5th January