Melbourne Football

MCY VS Geelong United 4th Dec 7:45 KO

kingofhearts

2 minutes ago, neio said:

Not that I usually talk about the opposition, but fuck me Lacroix is a beast

Says more about JMAC than the big fella, if every ball jumps 0.5m of your feet it’s easy defending.

Frustration aside, so this was obvious from 20minutes that this guy was catching everything but we kept doing the same thing over and over again.

1 minute ago, kiko said:

Couldn't find a way through but not from lack of trying, some of our forwards are out of form making a new approach absolutely necessary, oh well

That's what the head coach is there for. He's got creative players in the squad, but chooses not to play them. Leckie, Maclaren and Nabbout in the same forward line was never going to work.  Repeating the same thing every week isn't going to work either. 

I think PK is allowed to see what he's got and give it a fair trial, 3 weeks is not a lot of time but the time is now for him to try something a little different moving forward, even just subtle variations it's up to the players to support him

17 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

We certainly did and lacked the energy to actually bombarded them in the last 10minutes.

Just because we weren't all over them like the start of the second half doesn't mean we were completely knackered, we still largely dictated, and didn't lose control of the match in the same manner we did against Brisbane and Adelaide in the last 10-15 mins. You could say that this was partly due to WU's defensive tactics, but I think there is atleast some improvement in that area. Still the same problems up top though.

My first match attendance for the season, possibly my last, not because I don't want to come, I just don't know if I'll be in melbourne on match days so a preety disappointing performance.to witness.

Positives:

We didn't fade in the second half

We had many shots on target that on any other night would have resulted in goals.

It's early in the season.

Negatives:

There were two things missing in our game: goals, and intensity. Maclaren was well marked by Lacroix who was my MOTM

It infuriated me to see how many of our players in the front third received the ball with their back to the goal and then played a back pass or were dispossessed.

Too many first passes in attacking transition were backward.

Too few forward runs and movement off the ball was poor and we were static. Nobody attacking the far post

Too many diagonal balls into the congested half of the field

Glover looked tentative and caught off his line again, luckily we didn't pay with a second goal

I know that we played WU twice in pre-season but we looked predicable and they were well set up by lucky John to break down our play. Our combination play was poor, or predictable.

We won't win a seciond Premiership with tonight's level of desire

That didn't feel at all like a derby, more like we were playing Mariners, but good on WU for marshalling every single one of their supporters to the game.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nate said:

what an absolutely dogshit game - outcoached by Aloisi, that sums it up.

Out-coached? You're 1-0 down and you bring on just two substitutes, the second one at the 75-minute mark? And you don't replace either Leckie or Maclaren? That's more than being out-coached, that's plain dumb.

• Like 2

I don't think things are as bad as they seem. They literally had one chance for the night and they took it. The best 2 players on the pitch was their CB and GK. 

Things are a little disjointed but we're not miles off like some are saying. Like last season it will take one game of it clicking and we will be on our way. 

• Like 2

I think that Leckie has thrown last season's team game into disarray. He is out of form and just not connecting with the rest of the team. Unless the club was stupid enough to sign a contract that dictates that Leckie must start every game then he needs to be benched at least. Maybe it is time for him to have a few games at NPL level.

And I prefer Atkinson to Galloway. Atkinson and Nabbout have a better understanding of each other.

• Like 2

Hmm. Not looking forward to the proper derby with any confidence right now. We're not clicking all over the field, and whilst we had the majority of the play and the chances last night, we were out thought. They had worked out how to defend against our structure, and whilst they didn't have as many chances, they pulled our defence out of shape enough to trouble us.

Berenguer had one of his poor games, O'Neill struggled and Metcalf didn't have an outstanding game either. Leckie, as many have said (including me concerning previous games) isn't playing like an international or a marquee. What he should be doing was illustrated by Nabbout on the other wing, who is playing at his best and was a beast. Most of our best moves came from his work.

We're off all over the pitch and we need to shuffle the pack. The obvious options are to bench Leckie and bring on Akka behind Nabbout (tough on Galloway but needs must). We need to hope Pucciarelli is ready soon, because Berenguer is inconsistent (last night got into lots of good positions then did nothing with the ball). Last season the key change appeared to be Nabbout's return to the squad, so hopefully this year Pucciarelli might have the same effect.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, malloy said:

Although it is no excuse for our poor performance, the refereeing last night was attrocious. Worthy of noting are the two yellow cards from Diamanti dives, where there was zero contact.

I was just about to add the same comment. To that I'd add Lacroix going down in a one on one challenge with Macca in the first half as a tactical move, which the ref fell for, the 'serious injury' when barely touched in the box just before half time, which broke the momentum of our attacking at the time, and a couple of really dangerous tackles in the second half which went largely unpunished when a yellow at least was warranted. This to add to Diamanti's "antics" and numerous other poor decisions. We still didn't play well, but this didn't help.

Edited by fensaddler

10 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Out-coached? You're 1-0 down and you bring on just two substitutes, the second one at the 75-minute mark? And you don't replace either Leckie or Maclaren? That's more than being out-coached, that's plain dumb.

Just unlucky

2 hours ago, neio said:

I don't think things are as bad as they seem. They literally had one chance for the night and they took it. The best 2 players on the pitch was their CB and GK. 

Things are a little disjointed but we're not miles off like some are saying. Like last season it will take one game of it clicking and we will be on our way. 

They had 2 chances, luckily, one involved a handball. Its telling though that both their chances ended up in the net

55 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

As it turns out, two key players departed last season - Adrian Luna and Craig Noone. I also think we're seeing the loss of the influence Des Buckingham had.

I'm still highly critical of JMAC and I will remain so if you vanish for multiple games in a row whilst being the highest paid player in the squad and possible the whole league.

Last night we needed experience up front, players to can stay calm and carry the team. He was the opposite, he didn't even bother controlling balls anymore and turned to rushed shooting from random angles.

Due to the underpar field/technical play combined with a consitent poor touch we almost play with 10 men when we are dominating possesion. There is a reason our system also works without a genuine number 9 - Manchester City is the perfect example in the last 2 seasons. When you have the ball as much as we do, every forward player including the 2 fronting midfielders need to be able to participate in a high level field and rotational play.

I know people will say 'oh he played against a big defender'' or ''he didn't get the right service'' - but really those are excuses for a player of his pay grade and stature as he does goes get his chances every week. The reality at the moment is that our only JMAC weapon is hoping that he will walk against a cross or tap in??? He can be real danger on the counter but that is not our style and teams are going to sit deep and let us come, we don't seem to have an alternative strategy either.

Now this is my own opinion and might sound harsh, give it to me and please debate! I know fans like him being from Melbourne and scoring goals when things go our way or when the opposition is not switched on in strategy. We have had plenty of games like last season but never 3 on the trot, I don't recall him being so poor in recent seasons.

Edited by Mr MO

19 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I'm still highly critical of JMAC and I will remain so if you vanish for multiple games in a row whilst being the highest paid player in the squad and possible the whole league.

Last night we needed experience up front, players to can stay calm and carry the team. He was the opposite, he didn't even bother controlling balls anymore and turned to rushed shooting from random angles.

Due to the underpar field/technical play combined with a consitent poor touch we almost play with 10 men when we are dominating possesion. There is a reason our system also works without a genuine number 9 - Manchester City is the perfect example in the last 2 seasons. When you have the ball as much as we do, every forward player including the 2 fronting midfielders need to be able to participate in a high level field and rotational play.

I know people will say 'oh he played against a big defender'' or ''he didn't get the right service'' - but really those are excuses for a player of his pay grade and stature as he does goes get his chances every week. The reality at the moment is that our only JMAC weapon is hoping that he will walk against a cross or tap in??? He can be real danger on the counter but that is not our style and teams are going to sit deep and let us come, we don't seem to have an alternative strategy either.

Now this is my own opinion and might sound harsh, give it to me and please debate! I know fans like him being from Melbourne and scoring goals when things go our way or when the opposition is not switched on in strategy. We have had plenty of games like last season but never 3 on the trot, I don't recall him being so poor in recent seasons.

Agree, but we were missing our number 10. Remember, last season Nabbout was the key player that balanced the team, our performances when he was absent early in the season were pretty ordinary. Let's see how we go when he's playing 90 minutes.

I do think PK needs an experienced deputy and Buckingham is missed. Re,member, he won the W-League when Jess Fishlock was his assistant

After the weekend I'm moving towards a more concerned opinion. 

There is something off. Can't exactly pin point it but there is definitely something that just doesn't feel right.

Having said that I it isn't panick stations either. I'm fairly satisfied with personal although Glover looked a little insure, but overall I feel all players are below the desired level.

Structurally we seem fine although so far Leckie doesn't fit exactly how I envisaged. Across the middle I thinking thats maybe was root cause. Not that the 3 of Berenguer O'neill and Metcalfe have been poor but none have excelled and collectively they haven't dominated. 

I'm really keen to see our response on Wednesday both on the pitch and from the bench, its now we need to start seeing exactly what kind of team we will be this season. 

Not worried but a little concerned. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

After the weekend I'm moving towards a more concerned opinion. 

There is something off. Can't exactly pin point it but there is definitely something that just doesn't feel right.

Having said that I it isn't panick stations either. I'm fairly satisfied with personal although Glover looked a little insure, but overall I feel all players are below the desired level.

Structurally we seem fine although so far Leckie doesn't fit exactly how I envisaged. Across the middle I thinking thats maybe was root cause. Not that the 3 of Berenguer O'neill and Metcalfe have been poor but none have excelled and collectively they haven't dominated. 

I'm really keen to see our response on Wednesday both on the pitch and from the bench, its now we need to start seeing exactly what kind of team we will be this season. 

Not worried but a little concerned. 

We have become predictable with not much tactical variation? That in combinatie with a lack of form of some players and just not scoring early.

Regarding the subs, did you think PK responded to the game in front of home or just executed the planned subs?

On 04/12/2021 at 8:51 PM, jw1739 said:

Not only that. It's all too hard, and with 1,400 infections and 10 deaths per day no-one is going to be rushing out to see what is, let's face it, a mediocre team so far this season.

We were mediocre last season with 2 wins then 4 losses in a row. Then things turned around. In terms of the crowd, just way too many things happening atm to get a decent crowd. But that is across the board not just us