Melbourne Football

A must win: City v Wanderers 9th January

n i k o

1 hour ago, Thrillhouse said:

forgot to mention this, looks like there is less and less in the active bays each week
hardly anyone in the side ones and a fair chunk out of the middle

Crowds somewhat increasing yet active looking less and less. I made may way down to active with my missus and dad just to make it look fuller.

23 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

Crowds somewhat increasing yet active looking less and less. I made may way down to active with my missus and dad just to make it look fuller.

Was a blokes wedding yesterday so a fair few people were at that and the no scaffolding made it look a little more sparse. I think the people who were there were great last night probably one of the funnest nights I've had in the terrace since the takeover 

• Like 3

That's great to hear. I'll be honest though it seemed like the terrace was without a capo a lot of the time and no one knew what chant to start next. Do capos arrange chants to be sung at certain times of the game?

And maybe I'm wrong but I felt the 'if you love city stand up' chant in the first half was too early and didn't get much of a response. Almost like it was done more because there wasn't anything else to sing. 

14 minutes ago, n i k o said:

That's great to hear. I'll be honest though it seemed like the terrace was without a capo a lot of the time and no one knew what chant to start next. Do capos arrange chants to be sung at certain times of the game?

And maybe I'm wrong but I felt the 'if you love city stand up' chant in the first half was too early and didn't get much of a response. Almost like it was done more because there wasn't anything else to sing. 

I basically found out last minute I was doing it so most of it was pretty ad hoc.That one in the first half started organically 

Just now, thisphantomfortress said:

I basically found out last minute I was doing it so most of it was pretty ad hoc.That one in the first half started organically 

Yeah I figured it was. Great stuff stepping up last minute though!

If it's not already done I think it would be good if we could have some more chants organised at particular times during the game. Adding a bit more structure may even make it easier in situations like this where someone does have to step in as you have. 

Good work though particularly in that last 10 minutes, definitely helped the team get over the line 👍

Hahaha POPOVIC U SAD KUNT

Complaining about the game like they gave away the points. We're just too good
Get rekt via the splendid girth combination of South America and France you dirty fuck looking, trash-digging, commision housing grub

(to the tune of RBB OLE OLE OLE)

NOVILLO, OLE OLE OLE

NOVILLO OLE

NOVILLO OLE OLE

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

forgot to mention this, looks like there is less and less in the active bays each week
hardly anyone in the side ones and a fair chunk out of the middle

the three bays in the middle are always reserved yet no one attends

and yeah, it looked like a large portion of active didnt attend for whatever reason

Edited by jeffplz

5 hours ago, playmaker said:

Just a reminder for those who want reminding.

IMG_20160110_172739.jpg

I prefer the early miss-kick. The early banter towards him from the terrace frustrated him and it clearly showed early on! He couldn't wait for the half-time whistle any longer.  

3 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

Is it just me or since the big blow up between the FFA and active supporters have the active boys been a bit off, what happened to the maestro with the beard? Not having a dig at the boys still going but it's like they've lost someone to lead them. 

The current capo is no good.

There i said it. (inb4 i'm gunned down)

1 hour ago, possiblygeorge said:

I prefer the early miss-kick. The early banter towards him from the terrace frustrated him and it clearly showed early on! He couldn't wait for the half-time whistle any longer.  

The current capo is no good.

There i said it. (inb4 i'm gunned down)

The atmosphere on Saturday night was amazing, one of the loudest nights I've been apart of in years. I thought the capo was very good

16 minutes ago, possiblygeorge said:

This. I don't mean any malice in it, constructive criticism. Not sure what the deal is with the capo at this stage as i remember the other lad with the beard doing it

It's a transition period, new capo has been found I've just filled in the last couple weeks. Was actually the new capo who was doing it for the last 10 min so clearly he has a huge amount of potential 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ecguymer said:

...I have to ask, what where all our yellow cards for? I couldn't make head or tails of half of them (though I may not have been paying enough attention)

Also, winning the opportunity to photograph the match pitchside was amazing =D

What happens to your pictures? Do you have copyright?

1 hour ago, thisphantomfortress said:

It's a transition period, new capo has been found I've just filled in the last couple weeks. Was actually the new capo who was doing it for the last 10 min so clearly he has a huge amount of potential 

Maybe you can land a communications gig with the club, thanks for the info :D

What's the reason for the transition anyways?

Edited by HeartOfCity

6 hours ago, AaronAV11 said:

The atmosphere on Saturday night was amazing, one of the loudest nights I've been apart of in years. I thought the capo was very good

Being banished along with the rest of GA to the other end, all I could hear was the WSW supporters until about the 80th'. Our active end looked pretty empty. I must say that its killed the atmosphere for GA ticket holders

1 hour ago, ecguymer said:

I've got copyright over the photos, and as far as I'm aware I can do what I want with the 1508 photos I took, but the club does want me to submit the 3 best to them for their facebook

Unless you signed something or there was something in the fine print in the terms and conditions, you have 100% copyright

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Why not move Active to the Northern/GA end? It is, after all, the "City End" of the ground. Southern or Yarraside End becomes all Category C reserved seating.

Have you forgotten a certain terrace that has been associated with the north end of the ground for how long?

• Like 1

On 09/01/2016 at 1:06 AM, Simo said:

Why has the cricket played two weeks in a row in Melb its killed our crowd would have had more at the game

Lol, if it was AFL there would be some AFL vs Soccer comment, but really if soccer is competing with anyone it's cricket. The growth of soccer was actually one of the primary reasons for the creation of the BBL.

What I'm saying is, it wouldn't surprise me if it's intentional by CA to reduce the soccer crowds.

9 minutes ago, Tesla said:

What I'm saying is, it wouldn't surprise me if it's intentional by CA to reduce the soccer crowds.

Well of course it is. We are their direct competitor.

They openly admit then are targeting women and families and small children into a safe (non-flare lighting - my emphasis) environment full of excitement. This forgotten group is why they can entice so many people to the grounds as frankly we cannot get our marketing appeal right to watch in some cases a boring spectacle.

Edited by Ray
Typo

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Why not move Active to the Northern/GA end? It is, after all, the "City End" of the ground. Southern or Yarraside End becomes all Category C reserved seating.

And then in the derbies they all have to move to the other end? Logistical nightmare.

From the Yarraside end, I couldn't hear the WSW supporters - distance certainly plays a role.

Edited by Kinnibari

23 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Lol, if it was AFL there would be some AFL vs Soccer comment, but really if soccer is competing with anyone it's cricket. The growth of soccer was actually one of the primary reasons for the creation of the BBL.

What was the cricket crowd like on Saturday?

41 minutes ago, Tesla said:

Cause it is intentional fair enough one week but to play each other two weeks in a row that's rubbish that's never happened in bbl

Edited by Simo

49 minutes ago, Tesla said:

What the BBL lacks is though is the competition. It is just entertainment. Not sport. There is no skill in the game, hitting a ball as far and as hard as possible isn't skill, bowlers trying to contain rather than get wickets is the game. The crowd has no emotional investment in their team as they would with a soccer or afl team. People watch, see some big hits and go home happy whatever the result. The game 2 weeks ago will only be remembered for the crowd, nothing else, not what happened on the pitch. You ask what a supporter who went to our games over the past two weekends what they remember about the game and you will get an answer about the fantastic game they saw on the pitch. 

It is interesting that CA have made the Sydney Derby next weekend same timeslot as the WSW vs Sydney game. That's as clear as it gets that they want to hurt soccer. If both games were on free to air I'd have no hesitation in saying that the soccer Derby TV ratings would be comparable to that of the BBL if not greater. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Kinnibari said:

And then in the derbies they all have to move to the other end? Logistical nightmare.

From the Yarraside end, I couldn't hear the WSW supporters - distance certainly plays a role.

Not at all. No City fan has to move anywhere. Give them (Geelong) the Level 3 on the Eastern side. Same number of seats as the northern end. we give them far too much anyway - it's not like the arrangements at Etihad suit us at all.

And who cares about their terrace and/or what they do at their home matches, it's our home matches that should concern us.

Just now, agoalie said:

What the BBL lacks is though is the competition. It is just entertainment. Not sport. There is no skill in the game, hitting a ball as far and as hard as possible isn't skill, bowlers trying to contain rather than get wickets is the game. The crowd has no emotional investment in their team as they would with a soccer or afl team. People watch, see some big hits and go home happy whatever the result. The game 2 weeks ago will only be remembered for the crowd, nothing else, not what happened on the pitch. You ask what a supporter who went to our games over the past two weekends what they remember about the game and you will get an answer about the fantastic game they saw on the pitch. 

It is interesting that CA have made the Sydney Derby next weekend same timeslot as the WSW vs Sydney game. That's as clear as it gets that they want to hurt soccer. If both games were on free to air I'd have no hesitation in saying that the soccer Derby TV ratings would be comparable to that of the BBL if not greater. 

TBH I think t20 cricket is fine, as in it's a legitimate sport and entertaining.

But the way domestic t20 cricket is structured in Australia, and even worldwide, with most the team changing between seasons and all the other plastic shit is what makes it a bit crap and I don't understand how people can be particularly attached to a team.

Anyway, soccer was destroying cricket in this country until the BBL started. Now it's really come back strong with the BBL and they're playing pretty smart trying to hit the A-League crowds, clubs are struggling financially already in the A-League while Cricket Australia have deep pockets to be fine even if the BBL crowds could be higher at a different time (hard to imagine that they could be though given how huge they are already).

This game showed one thing that annoys the hell about local players.  Finishing.

Look at Fornaroli's finishing technique, Novillo's strikes.

Then look at Mark Bridge hit a free header several meters wide, Bridge scuff clear shot wide, Mooy not hit cleanly and wide clear openings, Vidosic skying it in to the nose-bleed seats.

Have the goals got smaller in the last 10-15 years in Australia?

18 minutes ago, Tesla said:

TBH I think t20 cricket is fine, as in it's a legitimate sport and entertaining.

But the way domestic t20 cricket is structured in Australia, and even worldwide, with most the team changing between seasons and all the other plastic shit is what makes it a bit crap and I don't understand how people can be particularly attached to a team.

Anyway, soccer was destroying cricket in this country until the BBL started. Now it's really come back strong with the BBL and they're playing pretty smart trying to hit the A-League crowds, clubs are struggling financially already in the A-League while Cricket Australia have deep pockets to be fine even if the BBL crowds could be higher at a different time (hard to imagine that they could be though given how huge they are already).

Legitimacy...when I saw 200 plus runs off 20 overs, balls being repeatedly slugged, 3 wickets falling I think one of two things.  All these years of 50 overs and Tests were all one big con and the batsmen did not want to bat this well OR the T20 bowlers (and pitches) are not really trying to take wickets which is the other half of what the skill in the game is.

So which one is it?

• Like 1