Jump to content
Melbourne Football

Asian Champions League - 2021-22


Tommykins
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Amongst all the doom and gloom...will it be Pucciarelli who turns out to be the star of our ACL campaign?

Im thinking if not the Italian maybe some one else steps up.

I think what gets missed in our success and improvement over the last 2 and 3/4 season's has been as a collective we have been amazing. Last year we didn't have Maclaren and Nabbout for finals and Atkinson Tilio and Colakovski all stepped up.

Im pretty confident we will have a couple blokes step up.

Obviously Gomulka  Pucciarelli and Endoh would be first options, but still , Lesiotis, Caputo or Raphael could pop up. Maybe we might see Bos move into midfield. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Im thinking if not the Italian maybe some one else steps up.

I think what gets missed in our success and improvement over the last 2 and 3/4 season's has been as a collective we have been amazing. Last year we didn't have Maclaren and Nabbout for finals and Atkinson Tilio and Colakovski all stepped up.

Im pretty confident we will have a couple blokes step up.

Obviously Gomulka  Pucciarelli and Endoh would be first options, but still , Lesiotis, Caputo or Raphael could pop up. Maybe we might see Bos move into midfield. 

 

Lesiotis isn't in the squad. In fact I haven't seen his name for quite a while and suspect that he may have left the club?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Lesiotis isn't in the squad. In fact I haven't seen his name for quite a while and suspect that he may have left the club?

Okay, he obviously wont be one we can count on.😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just clarifying...

16 clubs go through to the next stage after the Group matches. Groups are A-J and the winners of each Group automatically go though - that's 10 clubs. The remaining 6 clubs to go through are the "six best of the rest."

So it's important that we do our very best in every match. The better our points, GD and goals scored then the more chance we have of going through even if we are second in Group G.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/04/2022 at 3:21 PM, jw1739 said:

Just clarifying...

16 clubs go through to the next stage after the Group matches. Groups are A-J and the winners of each Group automatically go though - that's 10 clubs. The remaining 6 clubs to go through are the "six best of the rest."

So it's important that we do our very best in every match. The better our points, GD and goals scored then the more chance we have of going through even if we are second in Group G.

What's strange we play BG Pathum again and United City.

It's reffered to as a "double round robin".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Jovan said:

What's strange we play BG Pathum again and United City.

It's reffered to as a "double round robin".

I took it as the Group playing at a single hub - Pathum Thani, Bangkok - and as a replacement for home and away matches i.e. six matches in all.

I'm not sure whether this is a new and permanent format, or a compromise for this year because  of COVID. My guess is the latter, but it must also reduce administration and travel costs quite significantly.

I haven't checked them all but I assume each Group is at a different hub, but not necessarily all at the same stadium. It's still divided into Asia East and Asia West.

Sydney are in Group H in Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh city.

The next stage - the round of 16 - I assume is a home and away knock-out on aggregate?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I took it as the Group playing at a single hub - Pathum Thani, Bangkok - and as a replacement for home and away matches i.e. six matches in all.

I'm not sure whether this is a new and permanent format, or a compromise for this year because  of COVID. My guess is the latter, but it must also reduce administration and travel costs quite significantly.

I haven't checked them all but I assume each Group is at a different hub, but not necessarily all at the same stadium. It's still divided into Asia East and Asia West.

Sydney are in Group H in Vietnam in Ho Chi Minh city.

The next stage - the round of 16 - I assume is a home and away knock-out on aggregate?

Despite centralised hub format it is still a double round robin format for grouo stage.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We actually play Jeonnam twice in three days 22 and 24 April our calendar.

image.png.f89330949a6c7e3e6114fad8465868e3.png

So we need to actually look at each game as 2 legged. So the 1:1 draw may turn out to be big result, (if we win next game).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Without having watched BG Pathum vs Jeonnam, it does seem like it'll be between us and BG pathum as to who finishes top. 

So it's important not only that we keep winning but to keep our GD above theirs so that if it comes down to our match against them to separate the teams (assuming we both win our other games), then at least a draw will be a favourable result for us.

 

One game at a time though. On to Jeonnam in 3 days!! So great to see our youth step up in Asia 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, K-aram92 said:

Without having watched BG Pathum vs Jeonnam, it does seem like it'll be between us and BG pathum as to who finishes top. 

So it's important not only that we keep winning but to keep our GD above theirs so that if it comes down to our match against them to separate the teams (assuming we both win our other games), then at least a draw will be a favourable result for us.

 

One game at a time though. On to Jeonnam in 3 days!! So great to see our youth step up in Asia 

Yes, you have to keep winning to try and top your Group, and you have to keep scoring goals so that if you come second you are in the "six best of the rest."

It's much like all small leagues - you don't get many second chances and in this compressed format you have very little time for decisions.

That's why it was great to see PK making some bold moves.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Sydney are in Group H BTW. Looks a strong Group - Yokohama and Jeonbuk in there.

I didn't realise the infamous K. Muscat is the current manager at Yokohama.

Yep, now part of the family.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Second draw to Sydney in Group H last night against the Vietnamese team. Third in Group H with two points. Next up they face Yokohama, who lost to Jeonbuk.

Sydney will be lucky to get through. Unless they beat Yokohama I don't see them making it... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Missing_Moy said:

If we finish 2nd in the group do we go through to knockout stage ?

Believe it's best of the rest. There's 10 groups and therefore 20 top 2 teams and only 16 will make it. We need to have a better record than at least 5 other teams in second place... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Believe it's best of the rest. There's 10 groups and therefore 20 top 2 teams and only 16 will make it. We need to have a better record than at least 5 other teams in second place... 

Correct. See @bt50's post in the Game 4 thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Current standings:

image.png.50bd07a1e5ff41b31e8d039ddd344914.png

Going off what BT50 said previously, we'll need minimum 10 points to have a shot at going through to the next round. 

A win and draw should be the target imo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, haz said:

Going off what BT50 said previously, we'll need minimum 10 points to have a shot at going through to the next round. 

A win and draw should be the target imo. 

Hopefully jeonnam can draw with pathum and we beat pathum. Then we can go through top... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Hopefully jeonnam can draw with pathum and we beat pathum. Then we can go through top... 

We go top if we beat Pathum irrespective, assuming everyone continues to beat United City. Tiebreaker is head to head not GD for level points.

Open photo

Should we not beat Pathum, this is the current state of affairs with respect to the 2nd place teams. Everyone plays 4 games in this calculation and we are well positioned, although if Daegu or Johor notch a win against Ulsan or Lion City on the final day we'll be in trouble as Kitchee still have the bottom team to play again in the small group. A point v Pathum likely goes a long way as it will mean that Kitchee will prob need to jag a result against Vissel Kobe.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So, I've crunched some numbers. Group I, arguably the strongest group in the East, has been fucked over by the dropping of the results against 4th and now whoever it is that finishes 2nd CANNOT get out of that group. All three of the teams still in can finish top, but due to the even results of that group the 2nd place team is out. This mean the winner of Johor v Ulsan is through, with the draw opening the door for Kawasaki to come through and take the qualification. Worth noting that if we go through 2nd we'll likely play the winner here.

In Group F, as it stands, Urawa are already through. They have 7 points against the 1-3 ranked teams and play Shandong last. They'll top the group if Daegu don't take all three, or otherwise go through as the best qualified 2nd team.
Should Daegu fail to beat Lion City, things get a little spicier. They'd be left with 5 points in the event of a draw, going behind us and being at the mercy of the Kitchee results. Lion City if they win will go second and will carry 6 points, being the two wins against Daegu. Barring a big win of 7 goals, we'll also trump them for GD but they'll be at the mercy of the other results too.

Group H and J play tonight and will clarify where the rest sits, but effectively the equation here is we dont want Kitchee to take more than three points.

TLDR : We are guaranteed to be the 4th ranked 2nd team at worst, and would be fairly stiff to miss. All eyes on Kitchee. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to allocate a score of 0-3 to the forfeit matches (Shanghai Port) in Group J instead of stuffing around all the other Groups?

Or bring in a team to replace Shanghai Port?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Wouldn't it have been a lot easier to allocate a score of 0-3 to the forfeit matches (Shanghai Port) in Group J instead of stuffing around all the other Groups?

Or bring in a team to replace Shanghai Port?

Easier? Yeh probably but arguably even less fair than the current method. Replacement team is probably the best method but given all the uncertainties and paperwork around COVID, and the effect it has on the coefficient i guess it could quite easily have gone amiss.

So results overnight saw Kitchee move past us on the 2nd place table on Goals scored, however should they lose to Vissel Kobe in the final game they will go back below us on GD. Vissel Kobe still need at least a point to secure top spot.

Group H is through
Group I confirmed to finish below us.

Our eyes turn to Daegu v Lion City, where we want a draw or a Lion City win, and
Vissel Kobe v Kitchee, where we want a Vissel win

If any of those three results occur we are through in 2nd.
 

Obviously the changes in our own group are still on the table if Jeonnam can snag a result at Pathum.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...