Jump to content
Melbourne Football

Asian Champions League - 2021-22


Tommykins
 Share

Recommended Posts

Just realised how intense the turnaround will be for ACL, we could come back to Melbourne a completely different team fatigued, injured and at risk of COVID which makes a derby win all the more important. 

I think we've been able to rest some key players over the past month which should hopefully mean we go in and out of Asia pretty fresh - I trust CFG will look after us.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/02/2022 at 12:13 PM, Deluka said:

It’s going to be very odd having played 4-5 more than every other team and hoping that they can’t catch us for the plate or too 2.

will be a very weird way to win the plate if we were to win it.

Last season was nail-biting too. What did we have - a 12-point lead and in the end it was VAR overturning the CCM penalty that meant it didn't go down to the last match of the season.

That's the good old Melbourne Heart way. Change our name, change our colours, but you can't change our DNA.

Anyway, don't know about the rest of you but I'm getting a hell of a buzz out of just being in the ACL at last.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, neio said:

They changed the rules, we can take all our visa players but only 3+1 can be on the team sheet. So I'd assume we would take Pucciarelli (if anyone knows where he is)

Therapy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, haz said:

Well that's our ACL campaign over. O'Neil is our most important player. 

There's absolutely nothing about Berenguer or O'Neill's injuries on the club website. Just a picture of some of the players in the pool in what I take to be Bangkok. Other than an image of the kits we will use, nothing else about the trip at all - who's gone, who hasn't or any other details.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, haz said:

Well that's our ACL campaign over. O'Neil is our most important player. 

Agreed, severely underrated IMO. Forward play is up for improvement but there is no denying that his breakup game and grunt is massive for us.

I'm also of the belief that Griffiths isn't the answer for our DM position anymore, age seems to have really caught up. Metcalfe is servicable if we dominate posession and don't need to defend too often. It thought Gomulka was our stand in for Aiden but he very largely gets used there.   

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

There's absolutely nothing about Berenguer or O'Neill's injuries on the club website. 

The silence is not new for us, and makes me think that they are properly injured.

Edited by Mr MO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

The silence is not new for us, and makes me think that they are properly injured.

I know that we're used to the sounds of silence, but I think the club's members and fans would have appreciated some pictures and commentary on the departure from Melbourne for our first overseas competition. Would've been nice.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/afc-champions-league-city-confirm-squad-provide-injury-update

O'Neill for the season, Florin for at least a month, and Metcalfe has covid. 

What a fucking week.

Far out. Midfield will be practically fully depleted until early finals series. Will be a weak midfield for the ACL now for at least the first 2-3 games by the time Metcalfe returns... 

Surely you would play Endoh for Berenguer. Tilio for Metcalfe and either Griffiths or Gomulka for O'Neil 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

https://melbournecityfc.com.au/news/afc-champions-league-city-confirm-squad-provide-injury-update

O'Neill for the season, Florin for at least a month, and Metcalfe has covid. 

What a fucking week.

Well, that may be the season right there. Fuck we're not going to have a midfield at all for the afc

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, kingofhearts said:

Well, that may be the season right there

That's why IMO it's foolish to make predictions. But let's not lose heart. Everyone has to stand tall now. especially the young lads. There's still some quality in that squad and I don't think they will let us down. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Far out. Midfield will be practically fully depleted until early finals series. Will be a weak midfield for the ACL now for at least the first 2-3 games by the time Metcalfe returns... 

Surely you would play Endoh for Berenguer. Tilio for Metcalfe and either Griffiths or Gomulka for O'Neil 

Endoh, Tilio and Gomulka seem the obvious ones, but there's not really an 8 in there. It's more a 6 and two 10s. Perhaps Griff as the 6, Gomulka as the 8 and Tilio or Endoh as the 10? Trying to recall who else we have of the youngsters who can cover midfield?

Also depends how quickly Metcalf shakes off Covid. 

Edited by fensaddler
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tough luck, but it's an enormous chance for Gomulka especially, and I'm pretty keen to see Endoh finally get a decent opportunity as I reckon he'll have a bit to offer if backed.

I really believe we'll top the group given our recent form (the derby was an aberration imo).

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Nate said:

Tough luck, but it's an enormous chance for Gomulka especially, and I'm pretty keen to see Endoh finally get a decent opportunity as I reckon he'll have a bit to offer if backed.

I really believe we'll top the group given our recent form (the derby was an aberration imo).

We're certainly a good chance to top the group or at the least finish second. Reckon Pathum BG will likely give us a bit of a run for our money. Hard to know what a Korean second division team will be like. City United we should be flogging as the Philippino league is shite... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Endoh, Tilio and Gomulka seem the obvious ones, but there's not really an 8 in there. It's more a 6 and two 10s. Perhaps Griff as the 6, Gomulka as the 8 and Tilio or Endoh as the 10? Trying to recall who else we have of the youngsters who can cover midfield?

Also depends how quickly Metcalf shakes off Covid. 

Let’s hope somebody lifts in midfield, I don’t recall a game where a whole line of starting players wasn’t available.

Will the curse of the designated player allocation come back to bite us!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Let’s hope somebody lifts in midfield, I don’t recall a game where a whole line of starting players wasn’t available.

Will the curse of the designated player allocation come back to bite us!!

Of course, if Pucci could actually get on the field he could turn out to be the matchwinner...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So perhaps our line up is:

                       Glover

Jenkinson   Reis    Good   Bos/Jamo  

               Griffiths/Gomulka

              Tilio             Endoh

Nabbout         Macca         Leckie

 

It's not the worst line-up but certainly that midfield is the weak spot. Hopefully Endoh can rise to the occasion. 

And I'm not sure who on the bench would be able to make an impact if the game isn't going our way. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, K-aram92 said:

So perhaps our line up is:

                       Glover

Jenkinson   Reis    Good   Bos/Jamo  

               Griffiths/Gomulka

              Tilio             Endoh

Nabbout         Macca         Leckie

 

It's not the worst line-up but certainly that midfield is the weak spot. Hopefully Endoh can rise to the occasion. 

And I'm not sure who on the bench would be able to make an impact if the game isn't going our way. 

Yep that midfield is certainly understrength... Not sure how strong the midfields we'll face will be though. Bench will be a bit weak too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Yep that midfield is certainly understrength... Not sure how strong the midfields we'll face will be though. Bench will be a bit weak too. 

What happened to Metcalfe is he injured as well as Oneil and Berenguer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...