Melbourne Football

Asian Football Confederation Competitions

Tommykins

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

IMO we're somewhat lucky to be participating at all.

Depends on what you are referring. 

If by previous results of A League teams and obviously pulling out not competing then yes, maybe A League clubs should qualify. 

But being champions and premiers absolutely we deserve to be there, and maybe we could have been cup winners if it was on last year.

Im pretty confident we have the squad to put up a reasonable show.

4 hours ago, Jovan said:

Depends on what you are referring. 

If by previous results of A League teams and obviously pulling out not competing then yes, maybe A League clubs should qualify. 

But being champions and premiers absolutely we deserve to be there, and maybe we could have been cup winners if it was on last year.

Im pretty confident we have the squad to put up a reasonable show.

Referring to pulling out.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 30/12/2021 at 10:34 AM, Imtellingyou said:

With all this situation,  we could easily miss it again. 

I reckon this covid strain will probably have calmed down by the time the ACL happens, I do think the APL or FA should look into hosting a group though.

• 2 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

Is it true that all the games are going to be played in one area? Hopefully Australia goes for it and we get to see all the games in person!

You're forgetting what a threat one Serbian tennis player was to our border integrity and the health of all Australians (despite Omicron being already here and raging through the community)....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

You're forgetting what a threat one Serbian tennis player was to our border integrity and the health of all Australians (despite Omicron being already here and raging through the community)....

Getting rid of him has cured covid though don't you see! Everything is much, much better now

• 5 weeks later...

Currently, our last scheduled A-League game is April 9. So it looks like we’re gonna have to squeeze about 13 league games into 7 weeks before heading off to Thailand. Then come back to play A-League finals (and only get a 3-4 day break if we don’t finish in the top two).

4 hours ago, hakz7 said:

Currently, our last scheduled A-League game is April 9. So it looks like we’re gonna have to squeeze about 13 league games into 7 weeks before heading off to Thailand. Then come back to play A-League finals (and only get a 3-4 day break if we don’t finish in the top two).

This season is rapidly descending into farce.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, haz said:

I have no expectations for our ACL campaign. If we can win 2/6 games and put up a fight in the others I'll be happy.

From what I've gathered. We're a very good chance of going top in the group. Worst case second. City United from the Philippines we should be beating comfortably. BG Pathum may be our biggest competitor as they are currently 2nd in the Thai league and they won the league last season. Jeonnam hard to tell as they are in the Korean 2nd division so not sure what we'll be dealing with there. I would be shocked if they were to be the top side. 

48 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

From what I've gathered. We're a very good chance of going top in the group. Worst case second. City United from the Philippines we should be beating comfortably. BG Pathum may be our biggest competitor as they are currently 2nd in the Thai league and they won the league last season. Jeonnam hard to tell as they are in the Korean 2nd division so not sure what we'll be dealing with there. I would be shocked if they were to be the top side. 

Playing in Bangkok is probably the biggest hurdle we face. If no-one gets sick it'll be a miracle. Given that Australian clubs have by-and-large underperformed in the ACL I'm more in the @haz camp - hold our heads up and win a couple and show that we're a good footballing side will be a good start to what we hope will be regular Asian football competition. Of all the clubs in the A-League I think we're the best equipped to do that.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Playing in Bangkok is probably the biggest hurdle we face. If no-one gets sick it'll be a miracle. Given that Australian clubs have by-and-large underperformed in the ACL I'm more in the @haz camp - hold our heads up and win a couple and show that we're a good footballing side will be a good start to what we hope will be regular Asian football competition. Of all the clubs in the A-League I think we're the best equipped to do that.

Are you referring to the players getting food poisoning? The conditions will be tough and the Thai and Philippino sides will have much better conditioning than us. 

35 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Are you referring to the players getting food poisoning? The conditions will be tough and the Thai and Philippino sides will have much better conditioning than us. 

The weather - principally the humidity. It's bloody hard going backwards and forwards from air-conditioning to the levels of humidity there without getting sick. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

The weather - principally the humidity. It's bloody hard going backwards and forwards from air-conditioning to the levels of humidity there without getting sick. 

Yeah it is certainly going to be a challenge for the players with the conditions. At least the games will be in the evening there when it's not as oppressive heat compared to midday. 

• jw1739 changed the title to Asian Football Confederation Competitions