Melbourne Football

Adelaide United vs Melbourne City: Saturday, 27th Nov - 7:45pm @ Hindmarsh Stadium

IssySG

1 minute ago, TJV said:

A serious question though, why can we not seem to produce or entice a solid young keeper to this club? 

All of our good GKs were old as dirt when they got here, but our youngsters always seem like error prone nervy second choice keepers filling in

Considering we had Birighitti and played Bouzanis ahead of him for an entire season, it's a pretty fair question. Clearly it's our weakest position (both starting, and as depth) and the history is there to show it's not a position we've particularly valued in the past.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Jovan said:

And Glover is still by a mile better.

Obviously he fucked up tonight, but overall he still deserves to be our starting keeper. 

I disagree to the extent that we’ve not given the other keepers the patience and game time we’ve given Tom - we gambled, and they left.

Glover has made errors in 90% of the games he has played. Either by hand, foot or judgement. Lacks confidence in the box, can’t direct his defense and can only annoyingly yell “away” for every single ball in the box.

He’s not going to make it in bigger leagues as he’s average on all goalkeeper aspects in my opinion.

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 1

Do we all remember the ball slipping through his hand on a Toivonen freekick? One of his first derbies some years back, give him game time we said as he will improve. We are actually fortunate that we haven’t lost more points really, credit to defence perhaps.

It’s a team sport but fuck I hate dropping points like this.

Edited by Mr MO

9 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Do we all remember the ball slipping through his hand on a Toivonen freekick? One of his first derbies some years back, give him game time we said as he will improve. We are actually fortunate that we haven’t lost more points really, credit to defence perhaps.

It’s a team sport but fuck I hate dropping points like this.

I reckon Glover has gone backwards since then.

He used to be reasonably solid, but would have a bad fuck up every now and then.

Now he seems to be somewhat shaky all the time and the bad fuck ups seem to be increasing in frequency.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The main issue is that I have zero faith in Sutton, he was a 3rd keeper at victory behind Thomas and Acton (I'll conceded Thomas is a reasonable keeper, but Acton sucks) I'm not dropping Tommy yet, but he is looking shaky, but until we find a better 2nd option we have to keep playing him

9 hours ago, TJV said:

A serious question though, why can we not seem to produce or entice a solid young keeper to this club? 

All of our good GKs were old as dirt when they got here, but our youngsters always seem like error prone nervy second choice keepers filling in

9 hours ago, Mr MO said:

We let 3  keepers go over the last 3. years, all bets on Glover. 

Delianov, Sozer and Gauci

IMO this is a very worthy topic on here. I agree that it's an area where we haven't shown the best judgement, either with coaches or players. Our last coach Neil Young seemed to be settling in for a reasonable term in office, but his departure has never been acknowledged by the club (to my knowledge) and it looks as though he just walked out after a disagreement or was fired. Jeff Olver is an interim replacement, and for me not an outstanding coach  - the role of a GK these days is a lot different from when he was playing.

Overall I think we need to look deeper than just blaming Glover for last night. 

Too angry to respond last night.

primary fault - PK and the coaching staff. No Atkinson and they bring in Bos. Well, I saw enough of Bos last night to say I don't want to see him play another senior game again. The goal was not his only screw up.

Glover - he is regressing and losing confidence. Enough has already been written on his performance over the last season and the two games this season. Time for the club to scout another GK - maybe Vukovic can be enticed back to Oz. For the game against Hume let's try Sutton.

Fade out - two weeks running the team seems to run out of energy and will. The subs are coming in late and are not having an impact. Back to PK and the coaching team.

• Like 2

It's not an excuse, but I think we have had a tough first 2 teams to play against as they have been relatively open and been able to play multiple pre season games. The 3 Melbourne teams and Perth were always going to be a step behind to start. Next week against WU should be the real gauge on where we are fitness wise and the ability to run out a strong 90

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Too angry to respond last night.

primary fault - PK and the coaching staff. No Atkinson and they bring in Bos. Well, I saw enough of Bos last night to say I don't want to see him play another senior game again. The goal was not his only screw up.

Glover - he is regressing and losing confidence. Enough has already been written on his performance over the last season and the two games this season. Time for the club to scout another GK - maybe Vukovic can be enticed back to Oz. For the game against Hume let's try Sutton.

Fade out - two weeks running the team seems to run out of energy and will. The subs are coming in late and are not having an impact. Back to PK and the coaching team.

Bos seems to be highly regarded, but what I've seen hasn't reassured me. His first action when he came on at South Melbourne was to miskick the ball into touch with no opposing players anywhere near him. I'm beginning to think, having seen two of our youth central defenders look very shaky last season, that we have a real problem developing young defenders. Akka is the success story, but I suspect his non appearance last night indicates some underlying issues there. As it is with Galloway now injured he is back in at left back. 

And I don't rate Glover, or our ability to identify and retain goalkeeping talent. There are at least three first pick keepers now playing in the A League that we have ditched. All I suspect better than Glover. He nearly got caught out in the first half last night, and certainly did for the second goal. Good saves elsewhere don't, for a keeper, compensate for regular brain farts. 

I want to focus on how brilliant Nabbout was last night, but too much else went wrong (and in the second half fade out against Brisbane) for me to feel at all comfortable.

22 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

And I don't rate Glover, or our ability to identify and retain goalkeeping talent. There are at least three first pick keepers now playing in the A League that we have ditched. All I suspect better than Glover. He nearly got caught out in the first half last night, and certainly did for the second goal. Good saves elsewhere don't, for a keeper, compensate for regular brain farts. 

Since 2019  we have had Delianov, Gauci, Birighitti, and none of those got any game time. Also to have Sutton as Glover deputy who is even more inexperienced raises questions as there’s no real genuine completion for Glover. When Glover got in the team under Mombaerts he got in on merit and had a decent and serviceable keeper in Bouzanis pushing him. He doesn’t have that now and mistakes are coming. Yes young GK make mistakes but not having a genuine number 2 pushing Glover is asking for trouble. 

Even former GK coach Neil Young said Sutton was his signing but not as a number 2 as he was so inexperienced.  

I would say it’s due to cap management with spending more cap on outfield players than number 2 GK. Just a guess though 

Edited by CityBoyz

Pretty poor game management. We had a chance to go 3-0 up and crumbled badly. I thought those days were behind us. Between Glover and Bos there was far too much inexperience. Stupid, stupid pass followed by a risky blind turn. Didn’t even look like Glover said ‘man on’ or anything either. I wonder if there was any talk.

When we signed Glover I thought it curious that we were essentially going with two young keepers. It’s not the done thing in football. Glover isn’t a bad keeper but he’s got a lot to learn even at 24. 

my two cents; i thought we played better against Adelaide than we did against Brisbane and largely dominated the game from start to finish. our forward line still has some room for growth, but are starting to gel.  so so so exciting where this leads.

yes Adelaide had their moments, but i honestly feel that we had more than enough chances to put them away.

and credit where credits due, Delianov pulled off a number of good saves.

absolute cracker from Nabbout.  we may have just seen the goal of the season and proves why he is so valuable.  

honestly thought we were somewhat unlucky in terms of their first. to have the ball come back off the post, strike Glover's back and basically stop dead for an easy tap in is rather ridiculous.  it's different to Good's goal last week because you just can't predict where the ball goes after hitting the post.  pure luck of the draw.  Good's goal reflected solid positioning for the cross in from wide and that Maclaren put pressure on the keeper to make a diving save

Glover needs to accept responsibility for the second, as does Bos and the rest of the backline.  What the fuck are you doing trying to play out from the back in the 90th minute and up by the single goal? 

FFS just send it down the fucking field.  absolute bullshit from both Glover and Bos for not paying attention (and to not notice the Adelaide's press).  as for the other three at the back, show some fucking leadership there.  slow down the play - Adelaide was playing the press too so again why try to play it out !!!!!!

all that being said and done, we did have a very poor to start to last season - one where i remember many were questioning the appointment of PK.  given that we have been largely been quite decent against Brisbane and Adelaide, i'm confident this is more of a hiccup than anything else.  lots to look forward too.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Glover needs to accept responsibility for the second, as does Bos and the rest of the backline.  What the fuck are you doing trying to play out from the back in the 90th minute and up by the single goal? 

FFS just send it down the fucking field.  absolute bullshit from both Glover and Bos for not paying attention (and to not notice the Adelaide's press).  as for the other three at the back, show some fucking leadership there.  slow down the play - Adelaide was playing the press too so again why try to play it out !!!!!!

Well said.

16 hours ago, Mr MO said:

What was disrupted? Only disruption for City?

If oud of your million dollar forward line only one plays at level, Leckie looks like he doesn’t train and has no explosiveness in him, JMAC tap in but invincible if there is no proper direct service - you make it very difficult!

Plus Metcalf and Glover are poor tonight, you just don’t win.

There's nothing like match practice, all the Melbourne based teams had a very disrupted pre-season with limited practice matches, I think that we played WU twice, were there other games? Yes, it's affected all teams, but not equally: WU will only benefit from a lack of "lucky John" match coaching, the vist0rs are in a major rebuild this season, our play relies on player movement and positioning, understanding runs etc, this takes time.

Remember last season our first few games were poor, then the team chemistry clicked.

46 minutes ago, neio said:

Victory 2nd half wasn't anywhere near as good as their 1st.

Its not an excuse, but it can't help not having the usual amount of pre season friendly games we have had in previous seasons 

IMO it is an excuse and a cop-out. These guys are full-time professional footballers. Other people are expected to work at full tilt for the whole year except for their annual leave. We are far too tolerant of these guys taking months to get match-fit and "gel." FFS it's not as if it's a brand-new squad taking time to get to know each other.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

IMO it is an excuse and a cop-out. These guys are full-time professional footballers. Other people are expected to work at full tilt for the whole year except for their annual leave. We are far too tolerant of these guys taking months to get match-fit and "gel." FFS it's not as if it's a brand-new squad taking time to get to know each other.

My only caveat is that Leckie should be coming off the bench rather than starting. The rest of teh team is pretty much settled.

• Like 1

I think a little perspective is needed.

Okay we should not have dropped points after being 2 up with 20 to go, and then bing 1 up with a few left, but seriously when have we won away in Adelaide. 

I'm not suggesting Adelaide would consistently beat us but at home they always lift.

After round 2 I'm completely at ease at where we are at, and by round round 10 I'm pretty confident we will continue to be in the drivers seat. We are going to have issues 100%, but to start discussions about players not up to it, or coaching team being poor is imo over reacting.

A couple wins and the focus will be on how good we are.

Perspective no one has ever won a championship in November. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Okay we should not have dropped points after being 2 up with 20 to go, and then bing 1 up with a few left, but seriously when have we won away in Adelaide. 

I'm not suggesting Adelaide would consistently beat us but at home they always lift.

After round 2 I'm completely at ease at where we are at, and by round round 10 I'm pretty confident we will continue to be in the drivers seat. We are going to have issues 100%, but to start discussions about players not up to it, or coaching team being poor is imo over reacting.

100% agree that it's by no means panic time on a long-term basis, as awful as the two-goal concession was. Our start last season was horrendous and we all know how that panned out. 

We're second on the table after a tough fixture away, and we have a good chunk of winnable games ahead of us. My main worry really is the management of Atkinson, but I have faith that'll be resolved sooner rather than later.

Even regarding Atkinson I'm not worried. He'll get games and by seasons end again be an important contributor. 

Having 15 bonfide 1st team players is a blessing and has taken 2 to 3 years to achieve and we should be embracing it, rather than looking at blokes that miss out.

Very odd choice not to take Atkinson, as noted above, given the ability he has to cover a whole bunch of positions. But unfortunately there were two dumb bits of play on our behalf, firstly, the O'Neill yellow in the first half, which if he hadn't been on he definitely would have just sat Yengi down when he started moving with the ball for the first goal, and the mentioned ad naseum move by Bos, which was a brainfart for all involved. 

8 hours ago, Jovan said:

I'm also in the belief that supporters have every right to demand more from the team. Big clubs have that in-built expectation and we should develop it. I can handle a draw/loss to a team on the day where everyone contributed but on this occasion we have identified that the GK situation is not as good as we like, that Atkinson has built expectations (and by and large delivered on them) and that Bos is at best not ready. And that the draw was built by the coaching team.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, NewConvert said:

I'm also in the belief that supporters have every right to demand more from the team. Big clubs have that in-built expectation and we should develop it. I can handle a draw/loss to a team on the day where everyone contributed but on this occasion we have identified that the GK situation is not as good as we like, that Atkinson has built expectations (and by and large delivered on them) and that Bos is at best not ready. And that the draw was built by the coaching team.

I agree. "We never do well against Adelaide" or "we had an interrupted preseason" is just rationalising back to the old Heart mentality of accepting mediocrity. It's not the end of the world to drop two points, but that's what it was and we won't get those two points back.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I agree. "We never do well against Adelaide" or "we had an interrupted preseason" is just rationalising back to the old Heart mentality of accepting mediocrity. It's not the end of the world to drop two points, but that's what it was and we won't get those two points back.

If I recall, we lost there last season too