Melbourne Football

Melbourne City vs Brisbane Roar: Friday, 19th Nov - 7:45pm @ AAMI Park

IssySG

Wouldn't say massive alarm bells got the 3 points.. we had an extremely slow start to last season and we won it all.. Will take the lads a few weeks to really fire together.. our front 3 obviously had an interuppted preparation 

Also that disallowed goal for brisbane, if they always give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker apparently you'd almost say it shoulda ended 2-2 looked very tight. As a city supporter I'm glad it was ruled out but as a football supporter you'd like them paid wouldn't you?

• Like 3

Very flat second half, just prior to their goal we were providing nothing and just going through the motions. Can understand starting that front three but they still look pretty rusty, and as good as Nabbout can be good he is a frustrating player. 

Like last season I expect we will take a few weeks to hit our groove, so pretty happy to bank the 3 points. 

46 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

Also that disallowed goal for brisbane, if they always give the benefit of the doubt to the attacker apparently you'd almost say it shoulda ended 2-2 looked very tight. As a city supporter I'm glad it was ruled out but as a football supporter you'd like them paid wouldn't you?

I thought watching the freeze frame he was off. Screenshot attached. 

They look level at best, and thats with the camera angle favouring the attacker. It's tight but there is certainly no evidence to say the linesman was wrong. If you look at their leading knees which appear to be the furthest forward part Galloways looks level with the line in the grass while Dewitts looks marginally over. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Very flat second half, just prior to their goal we were providing nothing and just going through the motions. Can understand starting that front three but they still look pretty rusty, and as good as Nabbout can be good he is a frustrating player. 

Like last season I expect we will take a few weeks to hit our groove, so pretty happy to bank the 3 points. 

I thought watching the freeze frame he was off. Screenshot attached. 

They look level at best, and thats with the camera angle favouring the attacker. It's tight but there is certainly no evidence to say the linesman was wrong. If you look at their leading knees which appear to be the furthest forward part Galloways looks level with the line in the grass while Dewitts looks marginally over. 

I'm not what happend to rules and VAR lately but it was said the linesman flagged instantly and couldn't be overuled anymore? 

Given that we counter-press and base our defensive system on work rate, it’s no real surprise that we dropped off badly. Better fitness will be important.

Attacking-wise that front three looked ordinary but in time it will be close to unstoppable. Leckie was gassed, Maclaren couldn’t get near it and Nabbout was too selfish and wasteful.

The offside call actually looks clear-cut to me. Brisbane player is closer to goal. Anyway. Three points and shake off the rust. 

I'm not usually a big fan of him but Berengeur had a good game last night. 

Also, while the crowd of 7213 last night wasn't too bad and is a pretty regular A-League sized crowd, I was hoping we'd be pushing 10k at most games this year given our success last year. I guess COVID related factors will still be impacting all crowds in the state for a few months yet so probably unfair to judge too harshly yet. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I'm not what happend to rules and VAR lately but it was said the linesman flagged instantly and couldn't be overuled anymore? 

Think he had flagged before it went in so VAR can't do anything, that's why linesman usually let the goal go in and then flag so var knows what the linesman is thinking. So possibly linesman POV saw it as 100% offside hence the early flag 

33 minutes ago, HughJass said:

Think he had flagged before it went in so VAR can't do anything, that's why linesman usually let the goal go in and then flag so var knows what the linesman is thinking. So possibly linesman POV saw it as 100% offside hence the early flag 

That explains it. I did think the VAR could still overturn if it’s deemed an error?

My view on this remains the same and always will do. The game is played in real time, and the officials are there to officiate, and that is what they should do. Just like the players they will make mistakes, but that has always been part of the game and should remain so. Further the game should be viewed as a whole, not as individual passages of play. If you are going to single out just single passages of play for review, then you should review the whole match, because all the passages contribute to the game as a whole. If video review is to be used to verify the decisions of the on-field officials, then the time period of review should be limited to 30 seconds. If the decision is not obviously wrong after 30 seconds then it is too close to call anyway and the decision of the on-field officials should stand. Some decisions are going to go your way, others are not, and that is also part of the game. Endless reviews are just another factor killing the game.

• Like 6

Very, very lucky to get away with the 3 points in the end - irrespective of the disallowed goal, Brisbane were easily worth a point, perhaps even 3 themselves. 

That said, I'm not too worried as the start of the season is often a bit clunky and we still won in the end. The crowd was the most disappointing aspect of the match for mine, again. Not really sure what else City can do to attract people - honestly, maybe this is as big as it gets for a club like ours. Idk, I'm stumped.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nate said:

The crowd was the most disappointing aspect of the match for mine, again. Not really sure what else City can do to attract people - honestly, maybe this is as big as it gets for a club like ours. Idk, I'm stumped.

I don't know quite what you expect attendances to be. If you look at attendances elsewhere in the world there are plenty worse than we manage to draw, and these are to matches where football is pretty much a way of life  and not a minor sport as it is here. Despite what we fans like to think there are plenty of people in Melbourne who have never heard of Melbourne City or AAMI Park, as there are who have never been to AFL, the Melbourne Cup or the Boxing Day Test and can't remember the last time they used a bus. Unless you know where to look it is actually not that easy to find out much about football, what's on and where, or results.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

I don't know quite what you expect attendances to be. If you look at attendances elsewhere in the world there are plenty worse than we manage to draw, and these are to matches where football is pretty much a way of life  and not a minor sport as it is here. Despite what we fans like to think there are plenty of people in Melbourne who have never heard of Melbourne City or AAMI Park, as there are who have never been to AFL, the Melbourne Cup or the Boxing Day Test and can't remember the last time they used a bus. Unless you know where to look it is actually not that easy to find out much about football, what's on and where, or results.

I'm convinced nobody would say anything about our crowds if the bloody seats weren't neon green. It just makes empty seats stand out so much. Wish they were a more neutral colour. There were plenty of games last year where WSW got 7k at Bankwest and nobody even noticed 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

I'm convinced nobody would say anything about our crowds if the bloody seats weren't neon green. It just makes empty seats stand out so much. Wish they were a more neutral colour. There were plenty of games last year where WSW got 7k at Bankwest and nobody even noticed 

It's also a remnant of the bullshit put out by Melbourne Victory right from the inception of Heart that somehow we continually need to justify our existence as a football club in Melbourne. "Club with no fans" has been a regular taunt ever since we started.

thought we were the better team for the first 60 minutes and could have easily been up by more than 2 at half time but for some rustiness.  Would have been disappointing if we did lose but that last 30 was a very Heart like performance.

by God we looked rusty up front, and that's why i'm so frustrated that PK started our 3 Socceroo forwards.  the fact we had 2 coming back from a flight to middle east during the week, limited playing time together and a strong "second" front 3 that beat South Melbourne last week really should have given thought to a different front 3.  granted, Leckie, Maclaren and Nabbout have to start together sometime.  I just find it frustrating that we made the game harder than it should have.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mattyh001 said:

...by God we looked rusty up front, and that's why i'm so frustrated that PK started our 3 Socceroo forwards.  the fact we had 2 coming back from a flight to middle east during the week, limited playing time together and a strong "second" front 3 that beat South Melbourne last week really should have given thought to a different front 3.  granted, Leckie, Maclaren and Nabbout have to start together sometime.  I just find it frustrating that we made the game harder than it should have.

TBH I think Kisnorbo's selection showed that he still is a novice coach. He should be selecting on the bases of fitness and form, not salary and reputation.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

I only watched the first half as we had our first overnight visitors since before the last lockdown - even more exciting than football! It looked like we moved the ball well, ball speed and movement off the ball was good, however, we seemed to break down in the front third, it wasn't quite clear what our attacking strategy was. Hopefully, this will improve with more match time. It wasn't clear how we plan to use Matt Leckie.

I'm a little concerned that our Italian dude isn't even fit enough yet for the bench.

On the attendance issue, I know there were several in my usual group not there for various reasons, and Friday night is never good for some of them. I suspect they are not unusual. Also suspect that COVID remains an issue, both direct fear of the disease, and also the buggeration of getting a ticket etc. We're never going to win a pissing contest with the Vuck on member numbers, but at least more than a tenth of our members rock up even when we're shit.

On the game, we looked rusty, short of ideas, and unwilling to use direct pace to get in the box. Leckie played like a superannuated NPL reject, though not surprising given a combination of two internationals in a week, jet lag and being new to the team. He'll surely get much better. We do seem to have a habit of letting Brisbane back into matches.

42 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

On the attendance issue, I know there were several in my usual group not there for various reasons, and Friday night is never good for some of them. I suspect they are not unusual. Also suspect that COVID remains an issue, both direct fear of the disease, and also the buggeration of getting a ticket etc. We're never going to win a pissing contest with the Vuck on member numbers, but at least more than a tenth of our members rock up even when we're shit.

On the game, we looked rusty, short of ideas, and unwilling to use direct pace to get in the box. Leckie played like a superannuated NPL reject, though not surprising given a combination of two internationals in a week, jet lag and being new to the team. He'll surely get much better. We do seem to have a habit of letting Brisbane back into matches.

COVID is definitely an issue for us and we will not attend until we can use our membership seats. And until our second membership pack arrives...

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

From what I can find on the internet (which may not be accurate), Mathew Leckie has barely played during the past two seasons.

I wanted to hold off commenting on our 1st game until I had seen a few other games. 

It really doesn't matter what you do in pre season you never really can tell at what level your at until you complete a full 90, and thats for any level.

What is important is firstly getting a win and secondly getting through without injury. 

Systems and patterns of play will evolve over the season, and the players thst started round 1 probably wont finish the granny (hopefully making it).

Based on the game, I reackon we have heaps of areas to improve but nothing that looked fundamentally flawed (as seasons past), we will improve exponentially over the season. 

Compared to the others in the League I didn't see anything that worries me, don't get me wrong we will have to be at our best every week to win, but there wasn't anything that made me think we wouldn't be in with a big shout in the finals.

Overall a little sketchy and lucky not to lose considering the bad offside call, but we copped more bad calls over the years, and good sides tend to win more often than not even when they necessarily deserve it.

Not impressed with Paramount, they need to improve quick smart. 

• Like 4

A proper "active review of the approach to VAR..." would throw away the idea completely. All a review will do will create further nuances to the interaction between the VAR and on-field officials and create further confusion.

Incidentally I wish that the media could grasp that the VAR is a Video Assisted Referee, i.e. a person and not a bloody piece of equipment.

In terms of the crowd, myself (foundation member) and 7 other regulars are not allowed in. Have a few mates in the same situation. I'm sure this has somewhat contributed to the poor attendance. Also, the poor people that lost their jobs and can't afford to go anymore. On the up side, glad we got 3 points.

Hope to see City and all of you pretty soon.

Edited by Tony999
  • Like 1

On 25/11/2021 at 3:53 PM, Tony999 said:

In terms of the crowd, myself (foundation member) and 7 other regulars are not allowed in. Have a few mates in the same situation. I'm sure this has somewhat contributed to the poor attendance. Also, the poor people that lost their jobs and can't afford to go anymore. On the up side, glad we got 3 points.

Hope to see City and all of you pretty soon.

The most important thing is that you support your team in spirit! I personally, when I was in this situation, tried to distract myself by betting on my favourite club. Yes, it wasn't always a win, but it gave me more interest in watching!

Edited by TravisDan