Melbourne Football

The Sky Blue Derby: Melbourne vs Sydney 2 Jan

strider

4 minutes ago, HEARTinator said:

Trouble was that the Sorenson was in no-mans land. He half came off his line thinking he'd punch the ball but then changed his mind and got caught. If he stayed on the line he would've palmed it over. But he had a great game anyway.

I'd never say keeper had a great game if they make an obvious mistake. Their jobs is to not make mistakes 

SØRENSON: Played like a brick wall yet again tonight. Should have done better with the second goal, but saved us countless times yet again.

MILLAR: Got absolutely slaughtered tonight. Is not even close to A League standard yet. 19 year old youth player thrown into the team before he was ready, classic JVS management.

KISNORBO: Pretty solid as always tonight. Still easily our best option at centre-half.

HUGHES: Looked very shaky at times, but for most of the game showed his class. Still has a long way to go to prove his worth as a visa player, but was quite good tonight. His goal was good too.

CLISBY: Genuinely really beginning to love this guy. Was solid as a rock at the back tonight, particularly in the first half. Improving every week and starting to turn into a pretty handy defender.

MELLING: Looked moments away from a red card all night. His tackle on Hoole(?) inside the penalty area was lucky not to be a penalty. Hope his injury isn't too bad but it looked pretty nasty.

EYUGIN: JVS fucked this kid over tonight. Throws him into his A League debut before he was ready and then dragged him before half time. There goes any confidence he had. Actually didn't think he was going to badly before he got subbed tbh, much better than Millar anyway.

KOREN: I'm done. I've had it. I keep trying to give him some benefit of the doubt in my mind every week. He'll get better, he'll get better. But nope. Tonight was his chance to prove his worth and he was abysmal. Could have iced the game with a clear cut chance and bottled it. Absolutely stealing a living.

NOVILLO: Was fantastic tonight, especially when we put him up front with Bruno. Great vision to set up Tuna's goal and was unlucky not to beat Janjetovic with one of his own.

MAUK: Was alright tonight. Had some good moments and quite a few bad ones too. He is not a winger.

FORNAROLI: G.O.A.T. Seriously this guy is amazing. Absolutely love him. The effort, the passion, the skill, the vision. Unbelievable.

ZULLO: Was phenomenal tonight. They couldn't deal with him at all and he looked raring to go. Can't wait to see him back fully fit.

TRIFIRO: Wasn't on long enough to make any real impact.

We stole a point tonight make no mistake about that. We were lucky not to be 4 down at half time. That being said to cough up the lead twice was very ordinary. Tonight JVS was completely outcoached (yet again) by Arnold. Although to be fair I'd say half of the people on here could outcoach him. Highlight was Mooy on the screen. He looked so genuinely happy when we all cheered him and hopefully he realises how badly we want him to stay!

• Like 5

I must say that I'm totally responsible for having no #Belief in our team culture. I was expecting a cricket score loss with such significant losses from the team, and I think that the tam was also expecting this in the first 30 minutes. In the circumstances a draw is a reasonable result but at least we had an excuse, the smurfs were pretty poor.

Positives:

1 point when in any other season this would have been a certain loss

Fornaroli, a pleasure to watch, what a clever player and what a lot of work he does in defence

Sorensen is solely responsible for the score not being 0-4 by the 20' mark

Good game from Clisby

A positive tactical change from JVS going from a chaotic nominal but shapeless 4-2-3-1 to a 3-4-3 from the look of it. Zullo had a positive impact on the game although had a critical slip that resulted in a goal to the smurfs.

Amazed and pleased that we got 10,000+ against the Big Bore League but an opportunity lost as well, this was a game that we had to win to regain momentum

Best bratwurst sausage I've had at the football since Allianz Arena (Munich)

Negatives:

3 certain points if we'd had our missing players, no wonder Arnold wants to recruit heavily in January

Hughes doing a credible audition for the Benny Hill Show until he scored his goal and we had our tactical switch then settled into the game

Shambolic shapeless first 30 minutes

Novello not in great form although his assist was perfect

Melling injured again. How on earth did Ninkovic avoid a red card for his 2 footed sliding studs up tackle on Melling?

Our pass completion out of defence is still terrible

The team only started to play with any belief once Hughes scored our first goal against the run of play but at least they did start to #believe

Edited by belaguttman

4 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

Melling injured again. How on earth did Ninkovic avoid a red card for his 2 footed sliding studs up tackle on Melling?

Its the A-League Bella.  There were two others last night that could have snapped and ankle as well.  Refs seem to be under instruction not to ruin the "spectacle"

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

MILLAR: Got absolutely slaughtered tonight. Is not even close to A League standard yet. 19 year old youth player thrown into the team before he was ready, classic JVS management.

To be fair to Millar, the wind at that corner was ferocious in the first half making the ball unpredictable along with him getting no support whatsoever meant that he was repeatedly overloaded with both Gersbach and Hoole to deal with. He played much better when moved to midfield

Really noticed tonight the lack of anybody on our righy hand side attacking 

We had at one stage Novillo, maul, fornaroli, zullo and Koren all on our left and no one on the right at all, that didn't help Millar at all. Also shows how good franjic is at getting up and down the pitch as I've never seen it as a problem before tonight

33 minutes ago, GreenSeater said:

SØRENSON: Played like a brick wall yet again tonight. Should have done better with the second goal, but saved us countless times yet again.

KISNORBO: Pretty solid as always tonight. Still easily our best option at centre-half.

HUGHES: Looked very shaky at times, but for most of the game showed his class. Still has a long way to go to prove his worth as a visa player, but was quite good tonight. His goal was good too.

CLISBY: Genuinely really beginning to love this guy. Was solid as a rock at the back tonight, particularly in the first half. Improving every week and starting to turn into a pretty handy defender.

MELLING: Looked moments away from a red card all night. His tackle on Hoole(?) inside the penalty area was lucky not to be a penalty. Hope his injury isn't too bad but it looked pretty nasty.

EYUGIN: JVS fucked this kid over tonight. Throws him into his A League debut before he was ready and then dragged him before half time. There goes any confidence he had. Actually didn't think he was going to badly before he got subbed tbh, much better than Millar anyway.

KOREN: I'm done. I've had it. I keep trying to give him some benefit of the doubt in my mind every week. He'll get better, he'll get better. But nope. Tonight was his chance to prove his worth and he was abysmal. Could have iced the game with a clear cut chance and bottled it. Absolutely stealing a living.

NOVILLO: Was fantastic tonight, especially when we put him up front with Bruno. Great vision to set up Tuna's goal and was unlucky not to beat Janjetovic with one of his own.

MAUK: Was alright tonight. Had some good moments and quite a few bad ones too. He is not a winger.

FORNAROLI: G.O.A.T. Seriously this guy is amazing. Absolutely love him. The effort, the passion, the skill, the vision. Unbelievable.

ZULLO: Was phenomenal tonight. They couldn't deal with him at all and he looked raring to go. Can't wait to see him back fully fit.

TRIFIRO: Wasn't on long enough to make any real impact.

We stole a point tonight make no mistake about that. We were lucky not to be 4 down at half time. That being said to cough up the lead twice was very ordinary. Tonight JVS was completely outcoached (yet again) by Arnold. Although to be fair I'd say half of the people on here could outcoach him. Highlight was Mooy on the screen. He looked so genuinely happy when we all cheered him and hopefully he realises how badly we want him to stay!

You mustn't have been watching the same game I was.

You are hating on 3 players that have had 60 minutes of playing time in the last 6 matches combined.

On top of that we were missing questionably 3 of our best 6 in-form players.

And your comments about Zullo are very far from the truth, turnovers, slipping over, missing link ups. No better than any other player on the park, and he did directly cost us a goal.

Sure Koren, and Hughes didn't set the house on fire but they made some very valuable contributions direct and indirect. This is to be expected for players that haven't played much.

Zullo and Koren should have slotted those goals in and Harry had his chances.

Miller is a young kid, he had awful moments but he had some good ones, he is still learning.

We should have won the game, and our defenders really need to start linking up with our mids, when this happened in the last 15 minutes of the 1st half we really got some glimpses of our attacking potency through the centre with Bruno and Harry in CF ish positions. It was awesome to watch rather than the long balls down the lines that we usually play that opposition teams are now defending well against

We should have won with a makeshift side that have never played together, and some old hands getting some game time which creates the flexibility that is needed to win this competition.

• Like 1

Cannot believe they did not put 4 past us in the first half hour, we were a disorganised shambles. For the life of me can't understand people having a go at Sorensen, he saved us that many times it's not funny - I know there are a lot of Tandofans on here but f*ck me people need to be realistic, I doubt he would have done better (actually, I'm sure of it) and in reality I think the bigger concern is our defence continually lets our opponents take shots on goal. 19 we let them have tonight, and I don't care if you've got Neuer in goal, if you keep letting the opposition shoot - particularly in close - they'll put some of them in if they're given that many opportunities.

Feel for the young guys getting a run tonight - Millar had a shocker, poor kid, he's just not at this level yet. Same goes for Eyigun, I don't know anything much about him but I reckon getting pulled before the half will knock him about a bit. Good work JvS...

Bruno is a genuine marquee, will score 20 this season. As a former striker myself it is a joy to watch him play, love when the opposition chuck three players at him and he still comes out with the ball at his feet. Great to see Harry trying to get the crowd going at the end there as well, these two guys are the kind of players that bring people through the gates.

Which brings me to my disappointment for the night, one Robert Koren. Absolutely pathetic from a so-called marquee player, tonight he had every opportunity to step up and fill the role he was apparently good at once upon a time, but instead served up that steaming pile. His first touch is about a million miles away from Mooy, wasn't creative moving forward, and to be honest I didn't think he looked all that interested. Missing that shot which should have wrapped the match up was just the icing on the turd pie, am now actually looking forward to seeing his contract come to an end. CFG can (and have to) do much better.

• Like 1

Nope we should have lost. I've got no idea why it wasn't 0:4 after 20 mins. How Smeltz missed that one  in last minute is baffling. 

Zullo changed the game for us and played imo a very positive 60mins.

How we got 10k is even more baffling. 

Very strange night.

But will take the point. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GreenSeater said:

4 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Nope we should have lost. I've got no idea why it wasn't 0:4 after 20 mins. How Smeltz missed that one  in last minute is baffling. 

Very strange night.

But will take the point. 

Zullo just became our 11th player because poor Eyugin was non existent.

He was no better than any other on the pitch.

19 minutes ago, playmaker said:

You mustn't have been watching the same game I was.

You are hating on 3 players that have had 60 minutes of playing time in the last 6 matches combined.

On top of that we were missing questionably 3 of our best 6 in-form players.

And your comments about Zullo are very far from the truth, turnovers, slipping over, missing link ups. No better than any other player on the park, and he did directly cost us a goal.

Sure Koren, and Hughes didn't set the house on fire but they made some very valuable contributions direct and indirect. This is to be expected for players that haven't played much.

Zullo and Koren should have slotted those goals in and Harry had his chances.

Miller is a young kid, he had awful moments but he had some good ones, he is still learning.

We should have won the game, and our defenders really need to start linking up with our mids, when this happened in the last 15 minutes of the 1st half we really got some glimpses of our attacking potency through the centre with Bruno and Harry in CF ish positions. It was awesome to watch rather than the long balls down the lines that we usually play that opposition teams are now defending well against

We should have won with a makeshift side that have never played together, and some old hands getting some game time which creates the flexibility that is needed to win this competition.

You mustn't have been reading the same post as I wrote?

I'm not sure which 3 players you think I'm hating on but the only one I'm remotely close to hating on is Koren which is more than deserved. I'm certainly not having a go at Millar or Eyugin or Hughes if those are the three you mean. I said that Hughes played well despite a shaky start and I said that the other two were simply not ready for A League football and blamed JVS for throwing them in (especially Eyugin who was cruelly dragged) when they weren't ready. Definitely not attributing the blame to them. As for Zullo he was actually much better than just anyone else on the pitch, especially considering how little he's been able to play recently due to injury. He was a creative spark out wide that moved us from sitting back hoping not to concede to attacking and trying to score. Zullo coming on changed the game big time, which was the best move JVS made all night. When did I ever say we weren't missing key players? I never said we had a full strength side in fact all of my posts tonight have said the exact opposite.

Compared to some of the posts on here after the match I'd say I was being fairly positive but once again stating the obvious that JVS mads several poor decisions which nearly cost us all 3 points.

Should have been at least 2-0 down, managed to hold them off and score. We had some amazing highs and some lows, particularly after we scored th second goal. But overall the vibe around the team is great. 

Overall that was a thoroughly entertaining game. I never felt in the Heart days could we lose or even draw and still enjoy the game. It was usually painful and uninspiring to watch.

Edited by n i k o
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Tony999 said:

Come off his line and get the ball yet people are saying he got looped which means he should've stayed on the line. He made enough saves tonight to warrant a pat on the back. Next.

If he collects the ball or punches it clear there wouldn't have been an incoming shot. next 

29 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Very strange night.

But will take the point. 

I told you we will get 10k. And l did not bring 1850 to the game. Couple extras as mentioned.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tony999 said:

I told you we will get 10k. And l did not bring 1850 to the game. Couple extras as mentioned.

I must forever now never question anything you post. I bow to you sir.

Also all around us were newbies. Some 4 guys behind us and it was their 3rd game. They were at the derby for their 2nd and decided to come again. Forgot to ask them if they are on the 3 game membership deal.

Good to see a few extra and we actually put on an entertaining game. For a neutral would have been fun.

What a game. Almost too crazy a game to make sense of.

My takeaway from the match is that we had 4 forced changes to outfield players--Mooy, Franjic and Paartau all ruled out due to injuries hours before kickoff and Retre suspended--and sure enough for the first half hour the team looked like a bunch of players that have never played together (which they hadn't). Completely new midfield and a half new back 4.

Sydney should have got more shots on target and should have scored first, but a team can't console itself with "should haves". We were much better in front of goal and took our chances (it's so enjoyable having clinical finishers at this club after having profligate finishers for so long). The team played with more structure after Zullo replaced the young Eyigun on the 34th minute and the team's formation changed, from the usual 4-3-3 to 3-5-2.

Our passing and team play became better midway through the game, but never reached any great heights with this new look team. 46.6% possession, 73.9% passing accuracy and 58.7% passing accuracy in the opposition's half simply isn't good enough.

Thankfully there were some solid individual performances. Novillo was a livewire assisting both goals, creating the first goal by first having an excellent run and shot, and then whipping in a quality corner, and with a classic tricky run from him for the second goal. Fornaroli held up the ball superbly and took a chance with a great header (his first headed goal for the club, I believe?). Sorensen, Kisnorbo and Clisby were overall reliable. And apart from the significant exception of the slip up for the first goal, I thought Zullo added width to our attack and produced a solid performance (not bad for his first game after an 11 week lay-off).

Hopefully alongside Retre's return we can at least get 1 or 2 of Mooy, Franjic and Paartalu back next week, and if Zullo is fit enough to start then the pieces are coming together. If the team can finally get stability with players in defence, midfield and attack, then we should have enough quality individual performers to produce quality team performances and be a top A-League team.

I couldn't believe that JVS would put two inexperienced players in the team and leave Gooch and Trifiro on the bench.

Once Franjic was ruled out, he should have decided to play Hughes at right back. Now I don't think Hughes had a great game and looked shaky at times, but he should have been tried ahead of Millar. Then he decides to dip into his lucky bag and pull the name of an unknown 18yo youth player. Talk about managing on a wing and a prayer. Also with the injuries, why didn't he just tell Williams you are on the bench despite the upcoming move. 

Quite simply the reason why we struggled so much wasn't because of the injuries, but the inept management of JVS. This was compounded when everyone could see Melling was out on his feet 10 to 15 minutes before he got injured. All except the idiot in the dug out.

Just as well we had Harry and Bruno to give us some hope. Has for Koren, I thought he was a disgrace tonight. He showed no leadership whatsoever and his contract should be terminated.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, silva10 said:

I couldn't believe that JVS would put two inexperienced players in the team and leave Gooch and Trifiro on the bench.

Once Franjic was ruled out, he should have decided to play Hughes at right back. Now I don't think Hughes had a great game and looked shaky at times, but he should have been tried ahead of Millar. Then he decides to dip into his lucky bag and pull the name of an unknown 18yo youth player. Talk about managing on a wing and a prayer. Also with the injuries, why didn't he just tell Williams you are on the bench despite the upcoming move. 

Quite simply the reason why we struggled so much wasn't because of the injuries, but the inept management of JVS. This was compounded when everyone could see Melling was out on his feet 10 to 15 minutes before he got injured. All except the idiot in the dug out.

Just as well we had Harry and Bruno to give us some hope. Has for Koren, I thought he was a disgrace tonight. He showed no leadership whatsoever and his contract should be terminated.

Have to say you're pretty close. I'd also add that I still don't understand how we keep selecting Millar rather than Richardson.

That all said, we thoroughly enjoyed the match even though City were outplayed for large parts of it. How Sydney didn't put the game to bed in the first 10 minutes is beyond me, and then in the second half we could have so easily gone to 3-1 and then hung on to win it. Quite apart from injuries we seemed to play for most of the match without any attacking threat down the right, but our worst failing for me is our inability to play effectively through the middle with decent 10-15m passes. There are often 3-4 City players close together playing little dinky passes and flicks to one another but going nowhere, and then we pass the ball directly to an opposition player and bang, we're under the pump once again. It just makes for a shapeless mess in midfield.

Best for us IMO were Sorensen, Fornaroli and Clisby in no particular order. I like Harry N. in many ways, but he does tend to get selfish on the ball and did so last night.

Overall, a point where we deserved absolutely nothing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kiro Kompiro said:

How would you do it with Mooy and Tuna playing centrally?  Where would the width come from? 442?

We would get bit stuck especially on right as we have no natural right side attackers available

Mauk been doing serviceable job but he goes away now

Options could be a 4-1-4-1, with Retre slotting into rb and franjic being more advanced and zullo on the left 

10 hours ago, Thrillhouse said:

Bigger disappointment than the loss to newcastle
Wasted chances then concede soft goals
Millar wouldn't get a game in the womens team
Visa gk

Far from our biggest disappointment. It was a thoroughly entertaining game especially for neutrals. I'll take the draw considering the squad that was out there.

As my brother pointed out, that was a good game by City and a crap game by Sydney FC. With 5 starting eleven players missing, a thrown together midfield and backline and Sydney at no stage took the lead. They completely dominated the midfield yet could not take their chances. Two very young players and they still could not finish. Yet when City did get a look in they scored. It is also interesting to read these comments and compare them to years gone by if a similar situation had occurred - the forum would have been all about the excuses and how we need better players. Yes I think that JVS could have done better but Arnold who was missing only one player didn't do better. The expectations have been raised.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Have to say you're pretty close. I'd also add that I still don't understand how we keep selecting Millar rather than Richardson.

That all said, we thoroughly enjoyed the match even though City were outplayed for large parts of it. How Sydney didn't put the game to bed in the first 10 minutes is beyond me, and then in the second half we could have so easily gone to 3-1 and then hung on to win it. Quite apart from injuries we seemed to play for most of the match without any attacking threat down the right, but our worst failing for me is our inability to play effectively through the middle with decent 10-15m passes. There are often 3-4 City players close together playing little dinky passes and flicks to one another but going nowhere, and then we pass the ball directly to an opposition player and bang, we're under the pump once again. It just makes for a shapeless mess in midfield.

Best for us IMO were Sorensen, Fornaroli and Clisby in no particular order. I like Harry N. in many ways, but he does tend to get selfish on the ball and did so last night.

Overall, a point where we deserved absolutely nothing.

One of the great mysteries of the world JW is the signing of Richardson. If JVS is saying he is not as good as Millar, then I am afraid I have to ask the question is why did you sign him?

I agree with your assessment of our passing in midfield. It is just too sloppy at times. As for Harry, I thought overall he had a decent game, especially when he came more central. I am hoping by signing this Malik kid we are able to play him and Mooy in midfield and maybe try 4-4-3, because I really believe if Harry plays up alongside Bruno we will score more than enough goals to win games. Also Harry's corners where dare I say an upgrade on Mooy's. He put it in with great pace and Sydney were very nervous at those corners.

• Like 1