Melbourne Football

The Manuel Pucciarelli thread

kingofhearts

2 hours ago, Nate said:

I reckon it's almost guaranteed we'll release him before the season's out

Of course he could do a Winston Bogarde on us? Assuming he's on somewhere between $300,000 and $600,000 if I were him I wouldn't be packing my bags in a hurry. Nice little bonus at the end of his playing career. A contract is a contract.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Of course he could do a Winston Bogarde on us? Assuming he's on somewhere between $300,000 and $600,000 if I were him I wouldn't be packing my bags in a hurry. Nice little bonus at the end of his playing career. A contract is a contract.

Did we sign him on a 2 year deal?

So $300-$600 per season, how many free GA tickets per game is this?

Shall we ask the club to re-allocate this cap space from designated player to designated fans? Money isn’t a issue obviously nor the duty to explain to the fan base.

We might even some more fans to the ground as well, heck they might buy some chicken strips to justify opening AAMI park.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Has there been a sighting of him at the club? Does anyone know whether he's still with us?

I can’t help to wonder every game how we would fair having a $300 to $600k a season player available.

Edited by Mr MO

14 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I can’t help to wonder every game how we would fair having a $300 to $600k a season player available.

We do, but he is not good enough. 

Being paid 300 to 600K p/y doesn't mean he's going to produce that value. 

Sometimes things just don't go the way you expect but seriously it's time to let go.

We signed a player that didn't work out, it happens every season to nearly every single proffessional team worldwide, just get over it.

• Like 1

On 13/3/2022 at 9:07 AM, Jovan said:

We do, but he is not good enough. 

Being paid 300 to 600K p/y doesn't mean he's going to produce that value. 

Sometimes things just don't go the way you expect but seriously it's time to let go.

We signed a player that didn't work out, it happens every season to nearly every single proffessional team worldwide, just get over it.

Sorry you must be misunderstanding my comment, I’m not particularly talking about Pucci now. Imagine having a designated player available on top of our current squad, the damage and difference it could make in games like last night. PK didn’t make a sub as he believed the quality wasn’t there on the bench to make a difference.

(And yes I know you believe that $300k to $600k per season gets you nothing , which I disagree with).

But on Pucci since you asked, it’s inexcusable and I won’t let it go. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Sorry you must be misunderstanding my comment, I’m not particularly talking about Pucci now. Imagine having a designated player available on top our current squad, the damage and difference it could make in games like last night. PK didn’t make a sub as he believed the quality wasn’t there on the bench to make a difference.

(And yes I know you believe that $300k to $600k per season gets you nothing , which I disagree with).

But on Pucci since you asked, it’s inexcusable and I won’t let it go. 

And I won't let go that we now seem to be doing almost the same with Endoh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After last night its pretty clear things will need to change drastically if this bloke gets any minutes. 

Up until last night I was of the opinion that main reason he wasn't playing was because Berenguer was playing at an unbelievable level, but when Caputo came on that said everything.

2 hours ago, Jovan said:

After last night its pretty clear things will need to change drastically if this bloke gets any minutes. 

Up until last night I was of the opinion that main reason he wasn't playing was because Berenguer was playing at an unbelievable level, but when Caputo came on that said everything.

Let’s hope he doesn’t turn into a Winston Bogarde, I think he’s signed on a multi year deal. We can use the money for another goalkeeper next season!

8 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Let’s hope he doesn’t turn into a Winston Bogarde, I think he’s signed on a multi year deal. We can use the money for another goalkeeper next season!

I can't see that happening. 

We've had several visa players that all signed multi year deals and but then for whatever reason the club and the player has come to an arrangement. O'halloran, Cabrera, Hughes and Budzinski off the top of my head and all of them was sorted out.

If it's determined at the end of the season or close to the end its not going to work i would be completely surprised it got ugly. At the end of the day we not Chelsea and Pucciarelli isn’t a big name international. 

6 minutes ago, Jovan said:

I can't see that happening. 

We've had several visa players that all signed multi year deals and but then for whatever reason the club and the player has come to an arrangement. O'halloran, Cabrera, Hughes and Budzinski off the top of my head and all of them was sorted out.

If it's determined at the end of the season or close to the end its not going to work i would be completely surprised it got ugly. At the end of the day we not Chelsea and Pucciarelli isn’t a big name international. 

Some of these players you’ve mentioned got released mid season, why do you think we haven’t done this with Pucci? 

2 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Pucci is on a two-season deal, so he has another season with us. IMO he is already our Bogarde. He appears to be doing everything required of his contract, because he makes the bench occasionally. Provided he keeps to the conditions of the contract he's entitled to see the two seasons through - precisely the same as Bogarde was at Chelsea. It's an unfortunate situation.

3 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Pucci is on a two-season deal, so he has another season with us. IMO he is already our Bogarde. He appears to be doing everything required of his contract, because he makes the bench occasionally. Provided he keeps to the conditions of the contract he's entitled to see the two seasons through - precisely the same as Bogarde was at Chelsea. It's an unfortunate situation.

I hope we can mutually agree to terminate his contract. Its not good for anyone having him here. 

54 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Some of these players you’ve mentioned got released mid season, why do you think we haven’t done this with Pucci? 

Maybe this one is more like the Koren scenario. 

Only he and the coaching staff know why. But as i mentioned earlier I think he will see out the season and then move on.

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

It might be the case that if we terminate we have to pay out part of contract which may see us exceed the cap for a designated player. Where as if we pay out at start of next year we won't exceed the cap (although that may result in him still being a DP for next season).

However, with the addition of a second DP spot next season (IIRC) we may be comfortable with only actually using one DP spot next year.

I do note, this is all conjecture on my behalf.

• Like 2

We may not be able to terminate him if he is doing a Bogarde. Does anyone know precisely the terms that apply to a "designated player," and by that I mean what restrictions, if any, APL puts around such a player? I'm assuming in this comment that APL has in some way approved of the signing in the first place, and might well have adopted the stance "You signed him, he is fulfilling his contract, he doesn't want to go, so stiff shit Melbourne City you have to keep paying him."

It is a strange situation, but it hasn't got to the point of ostracising the guy as Melbourne Victory did with Jonathan Bru, or indeed what we did with Bruno.

I think if you look around you'll see that quite a few clubs have this kind of player on their books. Jenkinson with Forest is an example - being paid a fortune but told that he's not in the future plans for the club.

14 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Media should be asking PK the hard questions on this

I've heard it asked once or twice in the pressers I've seen, but they've never pushed further for a longer explanation.

Closest thing to an answer from PK was

Manuel Pucciarelli was also absent from the City squad that faced the Bulls with what Kisnorbo confirmed was a “coach’s decision” but could feature in a game carrying significant stakes for both sides. 

- https://jdlmedia.news/2022/03/11/western-united-and-melbourne-city-prepare-for-colossal-derby-clash/

Edited by bellydrum

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

That's a non-answer. Of course selection is a "coach's decision" and of course Pucci could feature in another match (but never does).

A journalist with any balls at all would have not have been satisfied with that answer.

“I take full responsibility for his signing, he was one the first players I recruited myself since taking over. It didn’t work out on training hence he never played. I apologise to the club, fans and APL who ultimately gave me the opportunity to sign a designated player” - said no coach ever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

IMO this guy has taken over from Marcel Meeuwis as our "strangest signing ever." Meeuwis (who had played in the Bundesliga) was only on a three-month contract, but Pucci is here for two seasons.

We've had a few of them, haven't we? Robi Koren, Maycon, O'Halloran...

23 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

IMO this guy has taken over from Marcel Meeuwis as our "strangest signing ever." Meeuwis (who had played in the Bundesliga) was only on a three-month contract, but Pucci is here for two seasons.

We've had a few of them, haven't we? Robi Koren, Maycon, O'Halloran...

Add Cabrera, Budzinkski Hughes, 

Locals, Grella, Georgievki

That Scottish lad from Celtic that got injured. 

If we looked hard enough we could get 11.

Edited by Jovan