Melbourne Football

The Manuel Pucciarelli thread

kingofhearts

• 4 weeks later...

Some serious questions need to be asked of this guy such as:

Will this guy see any minutes during the regular season?

What does he have to do to see minutes?

And most importantly

Why did we sign him if we had no intention of playing him?

(Apologies if he played on the weekend, I missed the game due to commitments)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

Some serious questions need to be asked of this guy such as:

Will this guy see any minutes during the regular season?

What does he have to do to see minutes?

And most importantly

Why did we sign him if we had no intention of playing him?

(Apologies if he played on the weekend, I missed the game due to commitments)

He was out with suspected covid 

7 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Nevertheless, IMO there are questions to be answered. The paucity of information out of the club does not help. 

Club seem to have been very careful to name players who have had COVID so not really surprising. Given no news of an injury, and not being in the squad when further cases were advised amongst players made it pretty obvious. He would certainly have been in the squad if fit. He seems slowly to be working his way into contention.

10 minutes ago, Imtellingyou said:

He or anyone else doesn't play because the coach isn't convinced that he performs better then other players during the practice sessions. 

I reckon that's true.

I was watching PK closely that FFA night against Wellington a couple of weeks ago. He was particularly vocal towards Pucca, continually barking at him to drop deeper, go forward, run to the ball, run away from the ball....

I reckon he expects him to press and run his head off for the full 90. Now that's ok, especially if you're dealing with someone younger and fitter, but not sure that's what Pucca expected when he came down. The bloke looked lost and was gassed after only 10 minutes of running around like a headless chook.

IMO, I just don't think he fits the profile of the player PK expects and i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't last much longer down here. Hope not, would've been good to see what he is capable of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rass said:

I reckon that's true.

I was watching PK closely that FFA night against Wellington a couple of weeks ago. He was particularly vocal towards Pucca, continually barking at him to drop deeper, go forward, run to the ball, run away from the ball....

I reckon he expects him to press and run his head off for the full 90. Now that's ok, especially if you're dealing with someone younger and fitter, but not sure that's what Pucca expected when he came down. The bloke looked lost and was gassed after only 10 minutes of running around like a headless chook.

IMO, I just don't think he fits the profile of the player PK expects and i wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't last much longer down here. Hope not, would've been good to see what he is capable of.

I reckon he was due in for a start against adelaide or mariners but I assume he had covid and thats why he did not play, hopefully we see him soon because he could be class

4 hours ago, rass said:

I reckon that's true.

He'll probably get picked up end of January by Macarthur lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

@kingofhearts Can your source tell us what the hell is going on with this fella? Absolutely pointless to sign him to occupy a visa and squad place if we're not going to play him. Total waste of resources.

The biggest thing I heard about him from my source was that he wasn't fit when he first came to us and that kisnorbo needed him to get into shape before he played him.

I can't tell you why he isn't playing now though, probably because kisnorbo is a stubborn asshole and won't change his lineup unless someone gets injuried haha

• Like 3

4 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

The biggest thing I heard about him from my source was that he wasn't fit when he first came to us and that kisnorbo needed him to get into shape before he played him.

I can't tell you why he isn't playing now though, probably because kisnorbo is a stubborn asshole and won't change his lineup unless someone gets injuried haha

this makes the most sense

21 hours ago, kingofhearts said:

It’s concerning that one of your top paid players and supposedly draw cards isn’t getting game time for being deemed not fit or ready being several months into the season. What a waste of money in a salary capped league!!

On the other hand Leckie was clearly not ready either but I read PK saying that we just need to give him more game time.

Our midfield is clearly struggling to make a difference this season. Tilio is better on the wing, Berenguer is Berenguer and Metcalf is developing slower than expected plus fairly inconsistent with shooting, final balls and only thrives when giving lots of space. (I don’t think he deserved a call up and will just sit on the bench or stands). 

Anyway I think our midfield needs new blood finishing the season strongly and of course the ACL.

Edited by Mr MO

34 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

It’s concerning that one of your top paid players and supposedly draw cards isn’t getting game time for being deemed not fit or ready being several months into the season. What a waste of money in a salary capped league!!

On the other hand Leckie was clearly not ready either but I read PK saying that we just need to give him more game time.

Our midfield is clearly struggling to make a difference this season. Tilio is better on the wing, Berenguer is Berenguer and Metcalf is developing slower than expected plus fairly inconsistent with shooting, final balls and only thrives when giving lots of space. (I don’t think he deserved a call up and will just sit on the bench or stands). 

Anyway I think our midfield needs new blood finishing the season strongly and of course the ACL.

I agree. TBH IMO this fitness thing is bullshit. Pucci is a professional footballer - he arrived towards the end of September so he ought to be fit by now otherwise he's not capable of doing the job. If he's had COVID then say so. EPL clubs seem to have no problem in discussing who has COVID so why we should be so coy about it I don't understand. All the stuff that was once regularly on the club news such as training photos, what players liked and disliked, who was better than who at certain things, has all gone. No wonder there's not much interest in the club. We've really gone downhill in terms of communication.

Unless the underlying reason is COVID then it appears to me that both Pucci and Cola are on the nose with Kisnorbo.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I agree. TBH IMO this fitness thing is bullshit. Pucci is a professional footballer - he arrived towards the end of September so he ought to be fit by now otherwise he's not capable of doing the job. If he's had COVID then say so. EPL clubs seem to have no problem in discussing who has COVID so why we should be so coy about it I don't understand. All the stuff that was once regularly on the club news such as training photos, what players liked and disliked, who was better than who at certain things, has all gone. No wonder there's not much interest in the club. We've really gone downhill in terms of communication.

Unless the underlying reason is COVID then it appears to me that both Pucci and Cola are on the nose with Kisnorbo.

Pucci is coming here on fair bit of money from the Serie A - it is indeed strange. He is hand picked by the CFG and Melbourne City. PK didn't just inherit him but recruited him. Where are the days that a manager takes responsiblity for their signings and tries to make it work? Yes PK sees him everyday but if you don't play the guy in real matches then you can never form a real opinion. As I said he has this faith in his mate Leckie, who played like a wet mob for weeks.

I'm actually more annoyed about the money we are wasting in this salary capped league.

I don't take COVID as an excuses anymore, remember he has played ZERO minutes!!! All players have had it, Curtis clearly copped it hard but watch him being part of the team again soon. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Zanty said:

Surely Pucci has to start against Western? We have no Maclaren, Leckie, Tilio and Metcalfe and in terms of senior midfielders we have O'Neill, Flo, Gomulka, Lesiotis and Pucci, Surely a O'Neill, Berenguer, Pucciarelli midfield?

Well if he doesn’t start or makes minutes with Metcalf and Tilio gone, then you know something is really up. Lesiotis and Gomulka are holding midfielders, anybody playing ahead of him will be more or less out of position.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Aardvark said:

I think we will see Gomulka play, and O'Neill push up for his 3rd position in as many games. 

He might be still needed as CB?

Anyway if O”Neill played up field in midfield, Pucci is done and the club has something to answer for. Hope the press will be onto this again.

I'm still wondering if our Japanese no 10 coming in will mean Pucci leaving. Logic is that if the Japanese player is good enough to play in the Asian competition, he's got to be pretty decent. So if we have a decent 10, what is Pucci's role? He'll at very least be pushed down the pecking order, and we may not even have cap space/budget. Certainly if he doesn't feature this weekend he must surely be cooked?

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

I'm still wondering if our Japanese no 10 coming in will mean Pucci leaving. Logic is that if the Japanese player is good enough to play in the Asian competition, he's got to be pretty decent. So if we have a decent 10, what is Pucci's role? He'll at very least be pushed down the pecking order, and we may not even have cap space/budget. Certainly if he doesn't feature this weekend he must surely be cooked?

I'll wait until this Japanese signing is actually announced. The club has me completely baffled at this point in time.

Meanwhile, I've just updated the squad so the signing must be imminent...

Edited by jw1739
  • Thanks 1

The future of this guy needs to be decided pretty damn quick IMO. Whatever the issue is needs to be resolved. Totally pointless having an attacking ex-Serie A player come on with only 5 minutes to go - not fair to the team or the fans. If it's fitness, then say so (but why?). If it's COVID then say so. If he and PK don't hit it off, then find a way out of the mess. Because otherwise it's going to go on for next season as well.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

The future of this guy needs to be decided pretty damn quick IMO. Whatever the issue is needs to be resolved. Totally pointless having an attacking ex-Serie A player come on with only 5 minutes to go - not fair to the team or the fans. If it's fitness, then say so (but why?). If it's COVID then say so. If he and PK don't hit it off, then find a way out of the mess. Because otherwise it's going to go on for next season as well.

It seems that PK absorbed more Wazza than Momba.

• Like 3

The fact that this guy has only really got some minutes in the FFA Cup and last game for 5 minutes is a disgrace.  Chuck him on for the 1st 60, or last 30 and give him a chance to how what he can do.  Western United build their whole game plan around Diamanti, because he can unlock and win a game with a pass.  

From this fella's highlights package and also the FFA cup games, he does seem to be able to make a pass that can create a goal - geez, just give him a crack, give him some attacking freedom and see what happens.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

The fact that this guy has only really got some minutes in the FFA Cup and last game for 5 minutes is a disgrace.  Chuck him on for the 1st 60, or last 30 and give him a chance to how what he can do.  Western United build their whole game plan around Diamanti, because he can unlock and win a game with a pass.  

From this fella's highlights package and also the FFA cup games, he does seem to be able to make a pass that can create a goal - geez, just give him a crack, give him some attacking freedom and see what happens.

Wouldn't you just love to be a fly on the wall inside the changerooms to know what the hell is going on with this guy. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

Signed an Italian forward to play as a box to box midfielder in the summer heat.

Not looking so smart now, are we.

Why not sub him for on JMAC for the last 20minutes than? He’s often spend by then. We are just guessing why and for what position we’ve signed him. All we know he is a top 4 earner at our club. 

Edited by Mr MO
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zanty said:

I feel like he would have been starting by now but Berenguer is in some of his best and most consistent form he has ever been in at the club and it would be dumb to drop him whilst he is playing like he is playing

hit the nail on the head. Our midfield and front 3 are undroppable when in form

• Like 1

The thing that is not right about the Pucciarelli issue is that PK cannot or will not give a straight answer when questioned. Listen to any EPL manager, for example, when questioned about a player and they will openly say something like he's working hard at training, he's match fit, but our forward line is functioning so well that I'm leaving the team as it is for now," or perhaps "He's been out with COVID and is taking longer than expected to shake off some lingering fatigue," or some other detailed response about a hamstring, knee, muscle soreness etc. PK is not doing that. He just mumbles an incoherent meandering answer that is no answer at all, and therefore IMO it's perfectly reasonable to conclude that he doesn't have an answer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1