Melbourne Football

The Manuel Pucciarelli thread

kingofhearts

49 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Yes, significant that he is being announced as an attacking mid. Very much the position we know we need to fill.

Not sure about this. Yes he’s called an attacking midfielder but Berenguer was also announced as an attacking midfielder and has been used in just about every position in his three years. Luna announced as a midfielder but called an attacker in that same article. The reality is it’s really about how the manager uses him, not about how the marketing person describes him in the article.

But I do wonder if this points to a change in our system. Maybe a shift to a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 double six with Pucciarelli the sole advanced midfielder. Or is he just a back-up? Let’s wait and see. 

2 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Not sure about this. Yes he’s called an attacking midfielder but Berenguer was also announced as an attacking midfielder and has been used in just about every position in his three years. Luna announced as a midfielder but called an attacker in that same article. The reality is it’s really about how the manager uses him, not about how the marketing person describes him in the article.

But I do wonder if this points to a change in our system. Maybe a shift to a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-3-3 double six with Pucciarelli the sole advanced midfielder. Or is he just a back-up? Let’s wait and see. 

Based on that tweet, his traits seem to indicate he'll replace Luna almost perfectly. Might even become slightly more efficient in attack. 
Obv proof will be in the pudding, but i think we'll keep the same system and he'll fit it quite well, with the added bonus of being able to cover Jmac if he's away injured or on int duty.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Based on that tweet, his traits seem to indicate he'll replace Luna almost perfectly. Might even become slightly more efficient in attack. 
Obv proof will be in the pudding, but i think we'll keep the same system and he'll fit it quite well, with the added bonus of being able to cover Jmac if he's away injured or on int duty.

High work-rate is a given in our system. They wouldn’t sign a player that couldn’t press. At least I hope not. Whether he can play the Luna role well is another thing though. 

Having said that I hope he kills it here and we win all four trophies. Mods can we change the title of this thread to Manuel’s proper name? Put some respect on it.

Pretty happy with this one based on the discourse alone as it seems he'll be a direct replacement for Luna - technical and strong work rate. Also comes to us with a handy pedigree (this doesn't guarantee success of course) but at a relatively good age at only 30, which is a lot younger than a lot of the geriatric VISA signings we've seen in the A-League over the years. 

Providing no other players leave before the season starts, this is just about the final piece of the puzzle as far as I'm concerned. It'll be interesting to see whether the club thinks so too, or whether there's still one more signing lined up. Either way, we're absolutely stacked in every part of the field now - it's gonna be another really exciting season!!

8 minutes ago, Harrison said:

High work-rate is a given in our system. They wouldn’t sign a player that couldn’t press. At least I hope not. Whether he can play the Luna role well is another thing though. 

Having said that I hope he kills it here and we win all four trophies. Mods can we change the title of this thread to Manuel’s proper name? Put some respect on it.

Yes i think its fair to question whether we are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole here. However if it fits we could end up substantially stronger. exciting times to be a City fan, thats for sure.

• Like 3

• jw1739 changed the title to The Manuel Pucciarelli thread
1 hour ago, bt50 said:

Yes i think its fair to question whether we are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole here. However if it fits we could end up substantially stronger. exciting times to be a City fan, thats for sure.

On the face of it, it seems a weird signing (replacing a box to box midfielder with a player more known as a second striker or perhaps a #10), however CFG do their homework.   I suspect we’ll restructure a little and Manuel will play further forward than Luna did.
Having said that, not many players of his pedigree (at his age) in the A League. He should add a touch of class to our line up.  

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

On the face of it, it seems a weird signing (replacing a box to box midfielder with a player more known as a second striker or perhaps a #10), however CFG do their homework.   I suspect we’ll restructure a little and Manuel will play further forward than Luna did.
Having said that, not many players of his pedigree (at his age) in the A League. He should add a touch of class to our line up.  

It will be like for like, no jiggling around is required IMO. Both are right footed.

The ancient discussion sits with us not understanding or being confused with our midfield system and names used. We play with  1x DM and 2x more advanced midfielders (Club calls them attacking midfielders). Metcalf and O’Neill will be behind him.

Box to Box is the traditional number 8 in a 3 man midfield as part of a 4-3-3 system. Luna’s workrate was high but was not deployed that way.

Edited by Mr MO

29 minutes ago, marn11 said:

I've been guilty of falling for a highlights package before, but this bloke looks fuckin' slick.

Just watched the highlights posted by the club on social media, he plays like a Berenguer who properly hits the target.

It’s only a matter of time before you are able to order a slice of Pucciarelli pizza at the stadium.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr MO said:

Just watched the highlights posted by the club on social media, he plays like a Berenguer who properly hits the target.

It’s only a matter of time before you are able to order a slice of Pucciarelli pizza at the stadium.

..and at about twice the speed.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

Wonder how he fits within the salary cap, or have I once again missed out on the changes of the rules recently? Like if they’ve raised the cap or additional players can be signed outside of it? 

Yes there have some significant changes, Luna and Noone obviously weren’t on minimum wage either.

13 minutes ago, Billyb0y said:

anyone want a ballpark what hes on for us, given his experience in a top euro league and not totally past it?

My guess is he is are Designated Player for this season, Some people said Nabbout but he was re-signed last season so my guess is that he is in the cap.

If i was guessing :

Marquees : Maclaren, Leckie

Designated Player : Pucciarelli

Cap has increased again, so id say with most players getting revised deals up in line with the raise, and then the departures of Noone and Luna, Nabbout will in effect take up the slack thats left.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bt50 said:

If i was guessing :

Marquees : Maclaren, Leckie

Designated Player : Pucciarelli

Cap has increased again, so id say with most players getting revised deals up in line with the raise, and then the departures of Noone and Luna, Nabbout will in effect take up the slack thats left.

I think a few of our players would get salary moved out of the cap due to loyalty or #youth. 

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

@Shahanga IMO we have reached that point. Five matches into a 26-match regular season (if that's what it is?). And he's not just any old visa player, he's here as a "designated player."

He came in later in the pre-season, then had some minor injuries. That’s all I can think of.

I’m not sure if he is the answer of us just not putting the chances away.

Im not concerned until he plays at A League level. 

He wasn't disastrous in the cup, but wasn't amazing either.

My worry is when he plays a few games and he's not up to it.

Hopefully the coaching team are being cautious and will unleash him and he has an impact. 

One thing that is clear so far this season is that the coaching team are set on their plans and any changes look well considered.  I'm confident that the next 5 games will reflect this in results. 

Important to keep in mind that he also had to quarantine for 2 weeks, which has proven to be quite the hefty setback based on what athletes around the world have been saying. He's 30 and he'll be playing in a team that presses with crazy intensity in heat I doubt he's used to. 

Cut him a bloody break, he'll get onto the pitch when he's ready.