Melbourne Football

Injury Replacements

R410

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Unless we can come up with a gem who is the Australian equivalent of Novillo it's pretty hard to find anyone who is both fit and ready to play at A-League standard at this stage of the year.

The only positive thing is its near to the January transfer window

1 hour ago, strider said:

Not particularly. 

Heard whispers of an established NPL attacker that may be coming in January. 

Although I've been told Koren will be released in January -- maybe an Int. Marquee coming up? Or int. visa injury replacement? 

we still don't know exactly what the rule is with releasing a marquee player and being able to replace him with another? Coming up to the midway point of the season now, I'm pretty sure the club realises we've got a bloody good chance of winning the league this season and it would definitely be worth bringing in a big player to replace Koren. Especially when we've got the best player in the country at the moment in Mooy, and having someone like that in this league doesn't come around very often. 

I think this upcoming transfer window is the perfect time to make a real statement. Will be interesting to see how badly the club wants to win something

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, heart_fan10 said:

we still don't know exactly what the rule is with releasing a marquee player and being able to replace him with another?

I am of the opinion that this simply cannot be done under the rules. There is little point in releasing Koren unless he decides to retire  when theoretically another visa player could take his place and we wouldn't have to pay out his contract. However, Koren is paid outside the cap, and I doubt that there is room under the cap to sign a worthwhile replacement for him. The best we can do is sign a top guest player for 14 matches, but we can do that whether an existing player leaves or not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, illeatyourheart said:

For the life of me I can't find any articles to confirm it, but I swear to god I remember reading last season that Mooy was AM for the first half before Jesus arrived. IF I'm remembering correctly, then hopefully we'd be able to do the same thing here. Can anyone find anything?

I read that, but just don't believe that Mooy was paid outside the cap before Kennedy arrived. If he was, how could he be fitted under it after Kennedy arrived?

Also, if that were possible, clubs would be swapping "marquee" players all the time using short-term contracts.

1 hour ago, illeatyourheart said:

For the life of me I can't find any articles to confirm it, but I swear to god I remember reading last season that Mooy was AM for the first half before Jesus arrived. IF I'm remembering correctly, then hopefully we'd be able to do the same thing here. Can anyone find anything?

I recall reading the exact opposite. That Mooy was under the cap & infact journos were quite clear that he signed for us under the cap despite being offered a marquee deal elsewhere.

If we released Koren early, we would pay him out & wouldn't be able to sign a new marquee. The only angle is then we'd have a vacancy for a visa injury replacement . Worth remembering It's notoriously difficult to sign good injury replacements, so I'm not sure we'll be doing this.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

I recall reading the exact opposite. That Mooy was under the cap & infact journos were quite clear that he signed for us under the cap despite being offered a marquee deal elsewhere.

If we released Koren early, we would pay him out & wouldn't be able to sign a new marquee. The only angle is then we'd have a vacancy for a visa injury replacement . Worth remembering It's notoriously difficult to sign good injury replacements, so I'm not sure we'll be doing this.

Think that this is the truth of it, however FFA have probably never been in the situation where a club would be looking to terminate a marquee player and replace him.

Given the A league's position at the minute, it would not surprise me if they allowed us to terminate Koren and sign a replacement marquee in January. The League is practically begging for it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Think that this is the truth of it, however FFA have probably never been in the situation where a club would be looking to terminate a marquee player and replace him.

Given the A league's position at the minute, it would not surprise me if they allowed us to terminate Koren and sign a replacement marquee in January. The League is practically begging for it.

Who was that Brazilian hipster dude at the Wanderers. Wasn't he terminated last season and wasn't he the Marquee. I'm pretty sure they didn't replace him.

1 minute ago, Jovan said:

Who was that Brazilian hipster dude at the Wanderers. Wasn't he terminated last season and wasn't he the Marquee. I'm pretty sure they didn't replace him.

vitor saba, was probly just a visa

2 hours ago, illeatyourheart said:

that was me saying it, high up person at the club told me in wellington when we played at that regional ground

55 minutes ago, Jovan said:

The Brazilian dude was Vitor Saba and he was not the international marquee but he was the replacement for Shinji Ono. Which is where the confusion may have arisen as Ono was the international marquee the previous two seasons. Saba was not terminated - he was isolated and told to train on his own, this forced him to come to an arrangement of mutual termination. There was some debate on this forum as to whether the club ought to follow the same route with some of our recalcitrant players (such as Redmayne) but in the end that was not necessary. Personally, I don't think that it is good for club morale and I am still convinced that the way they treated Shinji Ono, Saba and a few others led to them having a disastrous season. I will note that they have 17 new players this season so that may explain some of the turn around.

32 minutes ago, NewConvert said:

The Brazilian dude was Vitor Saba and he was not the international marquee but he was the replacement for Shinji Ono. Which is where the confusion may have arisen as Ono was the international marquee the previous two seasons. Saba was not terminated - he was isolated and told to train on his own, this forced him to come to an arrangement of mutual termination. There was some debate on this forum as to whether the club ought to follow the same route with some of our recalcitrant players (such as Redmayne) but in the end that was not necessary. Personally, I don't think that it is good for club morale and I am still convinced that the way they treated Shinji Ono, Saba and a few others led to them having a disastrous season. I will note that they have 17 new players this season so that may explain some of the turn around.

MV did the same with Bru.

Short on detail, but suggestion an injury replacement is on the table with this report:

Melbourne City consider signing injury replacement for defender Connor Chapman

16 December, 2015

David Davutovic

MELBOURNE City has not ruled out signing an injury replacement for Connor Chapman, but will make an assessment after Saturday night’s Melbourne derby.

English Premier League veteran Aaron Hughes looks set to return from a calf problem to replace Chapman, who’ll miss at least two months, and partner City captain Patrick Kisnorbo in central defence.

A year ago City reacted to the 5-1 mauling at the hands of Wellington Phoenix by signing defenders Jack Clisby, Kew Jaliens and Safuwan Baharudin and attacker Harry Novillo.

There will be no such mid-season panic buys with City Football Group chiefs confident about the squad’s depth and balance.

As well as Chapman, there is scope to bring in an injury replacement for attacker Corey Gameiro. Youth player Hernan Espindola has replaced fellow knee injury victim Marc Marino on the list.

Jacob Melling, who was cleared of serious injury after being subbed against Newcastle Jets on Sunday, is on standby to play a makeshift defensive role, but will likely to start in midfield.

Having endured more pain than pleasure during his 2½ years at the club, Kisnorbo was not getting excited by City’s recent run of form.

“Yeah. Three wins in a row, we’ve scored a lot of goals. We have got a bit of momentum, but football changes very quickly,” Kisnorbo said.

“Potential is a word that I hear quite a lot, but our team at the moment are doing pretty well. We’re a group of players that are very united and work hard for each other on and off the pitch. There’s a real togetherness and if we can bring that into the game that would be fantastic.

“But you can’t judge a team in one game, you have to judge them over a year. There’s no point talking about finals football after Round 10 or 11, we’ve got to concentrate on this week.

“We’re concentrating on ourselves, getting our basics right and hopefully that holds us in good stead on Saturday. Any win’s great, but this week there’s a big emphasis because it’s a Melbourne derby.’’

With much hype surrounding the form of Aaron Mooy, who the Herald Sunrevealed would stay at the club until the end of the season, Kisnorbo said he had a solid platform.

“What’s most important is that Aaron is right with himself and the club,’’ he said.

“He’s staying here and he’s got to concentrate here first and whatever happens here happens, but it’s most important for him to focus on this year.

“For the time being we have him here and we’ll use him to our full ability. Long may it continue that he keeps doing a good job for us.

“At the end of the day he has 10 players behind him. He’s doing very well, but so are the players next to him, Bruno’s scoring, Harry, Ivan Franjic had two assists.’’

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league/teams/melbourne-city/melbourne-city-consider-signing-injury-replacement-for-defender-connor-chapman/news-story/a49c9cd61faffc2b9096261306e495a7

9 hours ago, millm103 said:

Robbie Cornthwaite has been released by his Malaysian club, could be a good replacement for Chapman. 

Can't think of many more realistic Australian CBs we could target. Cornthwaite could be a pretty excellent mid-season signing.

Cornthwaite says he's coming back to Australia and he'll reassess his options. Also he has "a few options in Australia and China" he can consider

Source: http://www.fourfourtwo.com/my/news/cornthwaite-looking-stay-malaysia-after-selangor-snub#:ZAoE-6+HtryECA

On 16/12/2015, 14:35:50, bt50 said:

Surely you would just keep Koren as cover and just sign next year's marquee as a guest player for 14 games including finals and then at the end of the season sign the new marquee.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeartOfCity said:

Surely you would just keep Koren as cover and just sign next year's marquee as a guest player for 14 games including finals and then at the end of the season sign the new marquee.

Agree completely, although it seems a bit of a raffle as to what ffa will allow as a guest player at the minute.

12 hours ago, HeartOfCity said:

What is not clear to me is whether the signing of a guest player and not releasing Koren (or Hughes) would mean that the club would have 6 visa players and will this contravene the number of foreign players rule?