Melbourne Football

2021-22 Season and Fixtures

jw1739

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/08/2021 at 4:58 PM, jw1739 said:

I'd say that a start to the season won't be any time soon, and even if it does go ahead as planned there won't be any spectators.

I’d assume they’ll start. 
As the only true national competition the A League has a lot more challenges than  the others, but being a summer league is really paying off during border closure fever.

Crowds? Perhaps in some places.

Relocation of Wellington and Perth to Australian locations will again be on the agenda.

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Anyone heard anything about when the fixture may be released?

I'm assuming they're awaiting for Vic & NSW governments to hit their vaccination targets and when travel may be possible between Melbourne & Sydney...this will open up an incredible amount of opportunities for getting matches scheduled.

https://aleague.sportsmatemobile.com/news/96940

8 hours ago, Red or Dead said:

Anyone heard anything about when the fixture may be released?

I'm assuming they're awaiting for Vic & NSW governments to hit their vaccination targets and when travel may be possible between Melbourne & Sydney...this will open up an incredible amount of opportunities for getting matches scheduled.

It looks like Victoria is going to pursue a "softer" opening up than that proposed for New South Wales, and it will start later because vaccines are being diverted north because of the situation there. APL is adopting a wait-and-see strategy and IMO that's the right way instead of creating false hopes.

Wellington is going to be a dilemma for the league, but again it's wait-and-see.

Overall APL handling this well at the moment.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It looks like Victoria is going to pursue a "softer" opening up than that proposed for New South Wales, and it will start later because vaccines are being diverted north because of the situation there. APL is adopting a wait-and-see strategy and IMO that's the right way instead of creating false hopes.

Wellington is going to be a dilemma for the league, but again it's wait-and-see.

Overall APL handling this well at the moment.

Not just Wellington, Perth and Redcliffe too. 
All three teams may have to relocate to Australia, if they and their opponents can’t get weekly quarantine exemptions.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

First 6 rounds released this morning. 

We have Brisbane Roar at home on Friday Nov 19th to literally kick the season off. 

Looks like there's two sides of the fixture. NSW teams + Wellington only playing each other, with the rest doing the same 

Edit - for those interested: https://www.a-league.com.au/sites/aleague/files/2021-09/A-League 2021-22 Season Draw 23092021 (3).pdf

Edited by mattyh001

8 hours ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

What do we all reckon about Western Utd playing at Lakeside? Will be good for an away day but very strange

It's a bizarre story to add to many for this franchise. They do need to crack on with their own ground, as they are rapidly becoming a laughing stock. Poor choice as they were in the last beauty contest, it's not in our interests that they fail - we need the A-League to grow and succeed. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The implication of today's announcements by the Premier is that we will have, essentially, a normal A-League season. By the time the regular season begins, we will be under the 90% rules, where there will be no restrictions on sporting events in terms of numbers, density etc. The only remaining limitation will be the 'vaccinated economy' that is the exclusion of those not double vaxxed. In turn that means, I assume, that members will be able to have their seats and normal entry using their membership card. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just reading how Josh Cavallo copped homophobic abuse at the Victory-Adelaide match.

It's about time Melbourne Victory were held to account for the behaviour of their "fans." FFA/APL have done nothing about various incidents, starting with the missile-throwing at a W-League derby 2-3 seasons ago (I forget exactly when).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'm just reading how Josh Cavallo copped homophobic abuse at the Victory-Adelaide match.

It's about time Melbourne Victory were held to account for the behaviour of their "fans." FFA/APL have done nothing about various incidents, starting with the missile-throwing at a W-League derby 2-3 seasons ago (I forget exactly when).

They really are fucking pathetic aren't they. They have the gall to accuse city supporters of "SuPpOrTiNg SlAvErY" whilst turning a blind eye to the thuggish and embarrassing  behaviour of their own "fans".

• 2 weeks later...

I’m pretty sure it was announced that this season was going to have international breaks. How come we are now back in the situation loosing this many players?

www.sportingnews.com/au/amp/football/news/socceroos-and-a-league-no-longer-at-odds-after-historic-shift-towards-international-windows/1rf6hlwu9rikd1m42dh9mfglos

Edited by Mr MO

9 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

I’m pretty sure it was announced that this season was going to have international breaks. How come we are now back in the situation loosing this many players?

www.sportingnews.com/au/amp/football/news/socceroos-and-a-league-no-longer-at-odds-after-historic-shift-towards-international-windows/1rf6hlwu9rikd1m42dh9mfglos

I'd say that agreement (article dated July 2021) is just further "collateral damage" caused by the continuing pandemic and Omicron. 

Edited by jw1739

19 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I'd say that agreement (article dated July 2021) is just further "collateral damage" caused by the continuing pandemic and Omicron. 

IMO as a minimun a decency agreement should be made that no more than 2 players can be selected from teams who are still playing league games.

• Like 1

A-League Men and Women play catch-up after COVID havoc - FTBL | The home of football in Australia - The Women's Game - Australia's Home of Women's Sport News (thewomensgame.com)

from this article it sounds like 2 games per week through Feb. this will be a test and PK's subs policy must change. Subs quality and experience seems like it may determine the overall league results to me so i think we could do OK. Great for a solid dose of games though considering how much momentum has been lost through the COVID shutdowns and disruptions. 

Edited by citymad

• jw1739 unpinned this topic