Melbourne Football

FFA Cup R32: South Melbourne v Melbourne City. Friday 12th November, 7.30 pm

malloy

15 minutes ago, Nate said:

Disappointed with South's gameplan as it didn't make for a great spectacle, but it was to be expected I guess. 

Fans and atmosphere was nice, and over 4K is pretty great tbh given the limited capacity. 

And some didn’t turn up due to the weather.

• Like 1

I was very happy with this game.

Normally, we've struggled with cohesion in pre-season this game we looked pretty fluid.

Normally, we'd struggle to score without our first choice front three, even against NPL opposition, we didn't. South Melbourne struggled to track our inverted full backs, 2 goals to Galloway, who, this time last season was a depth signing.

We have depth and young talent

A little concerned that we haven't seen our Italian signing, by the time he's match fit he is going to struggle to break into the starting team, not in itself a bad thing but not desirable for a visa signing.

27 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Drawn away to Hume City in RO16. Presumably at ABD Stadium in Broadmeadows. Good to have another NPL Vic away day. 

Are we still zoned? Is it still a regulated draw with the State sides always at home if they draw an A-League club? I've forgotten when the draw is going to be freed up.

28 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Are we still zoned? Is it still a regulated draw with the State sides always at home if they draw an A-League club? I've forgotten when the draw is going to be freed up.

They're doing well to keep the competition alive. Hopefully it'll get a bit easier in a month or so as other states begin to open their borders.

Based on absolutely no inside information, I would be shocked if the game actually gets played at Broadmeadows. Frequent that ground a lot to watch the womens team, as well as I was there for Hume vs Port Melbourne in the Cup just last Wednesday - with a crowd of 450(ish?) it felt very full, the solitary grandstand was packed. 

Given (rightly or wrongly) the FA's desire to sell the most amount of tickets possible for this game, feel like they'll move it to a bigger location, especially if we're still working with reduced venue capacities. But where they move it to i'm not sure. Going back to Lakeside might be a good shout or they may opt for just moving it to AAMI Park. I'd love it to be at a local NPL ground but only time will tell.

22 hours ago, IssySG said:

Based on absolutely no inside information, I would be shocked if the game actually gets played at Broadmeadows. Frequent that ground a lot to watch the womens team, as well as I was there for Hume vs Port Melbourne in the Cup just last Wednesday - with a crowd of 450(ish?) it felt very full, the solitary grandstand was packed. 

Given (rightly or wrongly) the FA's desire to sell the most amount of tickets possible for this game, feel like they'll move it to a bigger location, especially if we're still working with reduced venue capacities. But where they move it to i'm not sure. Going back to Lakeside might be a good shout or they may opt for just moving it to AAMI Park. I'd love it to be at a local NPL ground but only time will tell.

I reckon if they move it it’ll be to AAMI Park.

The move would be Hume’s call so it’ll be down to commercials and moving it to a central location with big capacity gives them the best chance to make bank.

On 16/11/2021 at 3:28 PM, IssySG said:

I could perhaps see them moving it to somewhere like Epping then. Much bigger ground which has hosted W-League and FFA Cup games before and still in the general vicinity of Hume’s normal home (especially compared to something like Lakeside)