Melbourne Football

FFA Cup R32: South Melbourne v Melbourne City. Friday 12th November, 7.30 pm

malloy

On 29/10/2021 at 9:52 AM, Deluka said:

Socceroos playing in Sydney on 11th, probably fair to say that we’ll be without Jmac, Leckie and potentially Metcalfe for this match.

I just don't know why we can't get this sort of thing sorted once and for all. I can't see why an FFA Cup match has to be locked in to a particular date. Of course it's fair that NT duties take precedence, but why not move the FFA Cup match to the Monday following, or the Friday following? It wouldn't materially affect the competition, whereas losing three of our starting XI will.

On 29/10/2021 at 9:52 AM, Deluka said:

Socceroos playing in Sydney on 11th, probably fair to say that we’ll be without Jmac, Leckie and potentially Metcalfe for this match.

12 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I just don't know why we can't get this sort of thing sorted once and for all. I can't see why an FFA Cup match has to be locked in to a particular date. Of course it's fair that NT duties take precedence, but why not move the FFA Cup match to the Monday following, or the Friday following? It wouldn't materially affect the competition, whereas losing three of our starting XI will.

Socceroos are due to play away to China the following Tuesday (Nov 16) so watch this space for whose selected - remember the a league starts Nov 18th 

@jw1739 the start of the league season is probably why we can't delay, particularly with other Socceroos games in place

1 hour ago, Tommykins said:

Tickets to be released at 3pm*

*With the knowledge that 3pm has come and gone and tickets haven't been released yet.

They are just GA tickets aren't they?

I believe there is an away allocation, which the club will provide details to members.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Had to try about thirty times before it worked, but got there eventually. I'd be interested to know how many City tickets have already been sold, because the state of the website suggested a lot of demand....

Deja vu. Why buying tickets in Australia has to be so hard is beyond me. Our systems are user unfriendly. I can book a hotel room in Europe more easily than buy a ticket to the football here.

• Like 1

Potential Line Up based on how we lined up against WU last week:

Tilio            Cola            Atkinson

Metcalfe           Florin

O'Neil

Jamo     Griffiths   Good    Galloway

Bench: Hall, Oresti, Gomulka, Sutton, RBR, Puciarelli, Grimaldi

• Like 3

On 05/11/2021 at 12:20 PM, Deluka said:

Potential Line Up based on how we lined up against WU last week:

Tilio            Cola            Atkinson

Metcalfe           Florin

O'Neil

Jamo     Griffiths   Good    Galloway

Bench: Hall, Oresti, Gomulka, Sutton, RBR, Puciarelli, Grimaldi

Puciarelli to start surely 

9 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I don’t give Hellas much chance in this. Nothing against them. It’s Dan’s lockdown.

As semi pros they wouldn’t have been able to train, let alone play and will be very rusty as a result. They’ll be doing well to get within 3 goals I reckon.

Yeh agree. Could get ugly late on imo.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Of course we should win easily, but the weather could play a huge part in this match. Rain and maybe a soggy pitch - this is where differences in skill levels don't matter nearly as much. It ain't over until the fat lady sings.

Agreed, part of my concern about the forecast heavy rain. And the risk that it could be called off because the stadium name becomes a little too prophetic...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

Agreed, part of my concern about the forecast heavy rain. And the risk that it could be called off because the stadium name becomes a little too prophetic...

We're missing our front three, and also in the wet, injuries are more likely. We don't have the same issues with ground conditions in Australia, apart from hard grounds, but in my (now distant) youth, bumpy and muddy pitches were always a great leveller in the FA Cup.

• Like 1

For those of you who want to keep an eye out for players who are likely to be good for Souths.

Harry Sawyer - He'll be the tallest barstad on the pitch by a long way, played a few times for the Jets and scores absolute bags of goals at lower levels as a general rule.

Brad Norton - Longest serving current player for Souths, Left Back, Captain and is someone I was always a bit surprised didn't a look in at A-League level but always seems to be a very solid citizen for Souths.

Gerrie Sylaidos - Ex City player who will likely come off the bench, I think, had a good start to the NPL campaign last year as an impact player.

Souths were awful to start the NPL last year, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of shape they're in for this game.

35 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

For those of you who want to keep an eye out for players who are likely to be good for Souths.

Harry Sawyer - He'll be the tallest barstad on the pitch by a long way, played a few times for the Jets and scores absolute bags of goals at lower levels as a general rule.

Brad Norton - Longest serving current player for Souths, Left Back, Captain and is someone I was always a bit surprised didn't a look in at A-League level but always seems to be a very solid citizen for Souths.

Gerrie Sylaidos - Ex City player who will likely come off the bench, I think, had a good start to the NPL campaign last year as an impact player.

Souths were awful to start the NPL last year, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of shape they're in for this game.

Remember Sylaidos. Always played with a bandana on his head. Quick, tricky winger, though looked a bit lightweight as a youth.