Melbourne Football

FFA Cup R32: South Melbourne v Melbourne City. Friday 12th November, 7.30 pm

malloy

If all things go to plan this will be our first official hit out of the 2021/2022 season. 

Will be interesting to see if we opt for a full strength squad, in particular whether Leckie, Maclaren and Nabbout will all start.

Edited by jw1739

12 hours ago, Shahanga said:

A day before lockdown 7 starts 

Quite possibly. But seriously, I can't see any point in rushing these fixtures. Sydney's lockdown is set to be extended by another month, borders are open one minute and closed the next, and although I CBF looking up when the next round is, which is open rather than zoned, I can't see any point in starting the involvement of A-League clubs so early in their pre-season and when the non-League clubs haven't played for a while either.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

Quite possibly. But seriously, I can't see any point in rushing these fixtures. Sydney's lockdown is set to be extended by another month, borders are open one minute and closed the next, and although I CBF looking up when the next round is, which is open rather than zoned, I can't see any point in starting the involvement of A-League clubs so early in their pre-season and when the non-League clubs haven't played for a while either.

Can't see the FFA cup being completed again. 

As for the A League,  the suggested October start (nothing officially announced) is very optimistic. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Deluka said:

It’s going to be such a shame that this will have a COVID capacity in all likelihood.

Fixture deserves 10-12k attendance imo, I really hope this isn’t played behind closed doors.

Is it even going to happen? They can't start doing the competition considering how the situation is in NSW currently. They may just scrap it again

On 08/08/2021 at 2:24 PM, kingofhearts said:

Is it even going to happen? They can't start doing the competition considering how the situation is in NSW currently. They may just scrap it again

At this point in time the situation in Melbourne is not looking too good either, and I would say spectators will not be allowed, and therefore I would ask what's the point of rushing this match? Even if the country can reach this "first target" of 70% vaccinations, that's only of the adult population and still means 1 in 3 adults won't be vaccinated, so IMO it's even doubtful that the League will have spectators if it starts in late October. Maybe in Perth and Adelaide, yes, but not in the eastern States.

I assume they’ll reschedule rather than cancel. Postpone if you like.

On 27/07/2021 at 9:53 PM, Shahanga said:

A day before lockdown 7 starts 

I hope out there someone is buying my green line though, it’s looking good! (Green line is coming home)

Edited by Shahanga
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Shahanga said:

I assume they’ll reschedule rather than cancel. Postpone if you like.

I hope out there someone is buying my green line though, it’s looking good! (Green line is coming home)

Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

With the situation in NSW I expect the cup to be postponed until much later in the season, or possibly scrapped all together again

Really it's the whole country. What we are seeing is that just one incursion/leakage of an infected person can easily get away from us - don't make any mistake, we are on the brink here in Melbourne - and elite sport (as well as everyone else) is just going to have to come to terms with this situation.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DukeVader said:

Pretty sad watching the EPL last night with crowds going berserk and we cant even go to watch a local FFA cup game when the virus was 1000x times worse there

Because the UK has a National Health Service and therefore was able to vaccinate in huge numbers very quickly. Ours is a flawed system. They are apparently also prepared to accept a higher rate of infection and death than we are.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Because the UK has a National Health Service and therefore was able to vaccinate in huge numbers very quickly. Ours is a flawed system. They are apparently also prepared to accept a higher rate of infection and death than we are.

We had a government organisation recommend not to use the same vaccine that effectively saved them.

Go figure.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Looks like I lost my green line.

I was too optimistic predicting another “snap opening” in August. Might have to wait till October to get that (and lockdown 7) in.

Sadly, yes, I can't see this match going ahead, and further I doubt whether the competition can go ahead at all this year.

NSW has always been the centre of the A League, whether we like it or not. So the fact that they're in such a mess with COVID right now is bad news for all of us. There's half a chance Victoria may get out of this to some degree, but NSW are clearly stuffed for months. I'd guess that scenarios now include FFA cup cancellation, and a range of options for our League, including a delayed season start, no crowds in some locations, or hubs outside NSW. Sadly normal looks further off now than it did when we finished last season. All things must pass...

• Like 1

NSW has always been the centre of everything, according to the Premier of Australia, Ms. Gladys. Both from her and the Prime Minister of NSW himself, Mr. Scott, we've learned a lot today. Importantly, that after 200 days of lockdown it was all wasted because it was never the objective to get to zero in the first place and that we better get used to her Delta leakage. Thanks pals.

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

NSW has always been the centre of everything, according to the Premier of Australia, Ms. Gladys. Both from her and the Prime Minister of NSW himself, Mr. Scott, we've learned a lot today. Importantly, that after 200 days of lockdown it was all wasted because it was never the objective to get to zero in the first place and that we better get used to her Delta leakage. Thanks pals.

You forgot Paul Keating's quote "if you are not in Sydney you are camping".

• Haha 3

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Wonder when this will happen. Early November when we get to 80 per cent fully vaccinated? I’m assuming the Melbourne Cup will be attended, so we should be able to get a crowd too. 

Probably the wrong thread but there's a lot more to consider than just 80% fully vaccinated averaged across the whole State. Andrews is implying that only fully vaccinated people will be able to attend these sorts of events; and as I understand it he's either got to pass enabling legislation for that, or extend the State of Emergency so he can do it via a Public Health Order. And it's all based on modelling that shows that our health services are going to be stretched, so if things don't go as planned we could be back to lockdown.

Have South even trained lately?

https://www.theffacup.com.au/news/explaining-ffa-cup-2021-round-16-draw

The intention is for these matches to take place in late October before the Australian Capital Territory (ACT), New South Wales (NSW), Tasmania (TAS) and Victoria (VIC) based zones commence their Round of 32 matches throughout November.

Being the highest-level national cup competition in the country, four Victorian clubs supported by Football Australia and the Victorian Government, will begin training across the next two weeks in preparation for their respective Round of 32 FFA Cup Final Rounds campaigns.

Edited by HughJass

• 3 weeks later...
  • jw1739 changed the title to FFA Cup R32: South Melbourne v Melbourne City. Friday 12th November, 7.30 pm