Melbourne Football

RND 10; Dec 13th @ Newcastle

mattyh001

Getting a bit off topic...we have an NPL side but the National Premier League doesn't run concurrently with the A-League, so during the A-League season squad players not selected for the match-day squad either play in the National Youth League (maximum 3 over-age players per match) or not at all.

It's pretty clear that playing in the NYL is not an adequate substitute for a decent reserves competition, but to run a decent reserves competition would be a large drain on resources. I think the question is not so much about developing youth players per se but how you keep your A-League squad up to match standard when you've got 5-6 players who might not play for weeks; your better youth players are simply a sub-set of that. The reserve GK is the easiest to look at. Play him in the NYL and your youth GK gets no game time; don't play him in the NYL and he gets no game time whatsoever.

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Getting a bit off topic...we have an NPL side but the National Premier League doesn't run concurrently with the A-League, so during the A-League season squad players not selected for the match-day squad either play in the National Youth League (maximum 3 over-age players per match) or not at all.

It's pretty clear that playing in the NYL is not an adequate substitute for a decent reserves competition, but to run a decent reserves competition would be a large drain on resources. I think the question is not so much about developing youth players per se but how you keep your A-League squad up to match standard when you've got 5-6 players who might not play for weeks; your better youth players are simply a sub-set of that. The reserve GK is the easiest to look at. Play him in the NYL and your youth GK gets no game time; don't play him in the NYL and he gets no game time whatsoever.

It's a clear gap. I can't see it being fixed any time soon given the state of the game's finances.

6 hours ago, NewConvert said:

My scepticism will remain intact even if we score another 5 goals in a winning performance. The subsequent matches will be the weathervane: MV, Roar, Sydney and WSW. If we take all points, then scepticism will begin reducing. I'm still concerned whether we may lose the game against PG that we played two weeks ago. 

Yes, I'm expecting that we'll still find a way to lose that game. it'll happen as soon as I start believing that we won.:D

18 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Thanks JW. Didn't know we had an NPL side (still cannot find details about them) and completely forgot that they play during the other half of the year.  Having a decent concurrently run lead in competition would solve a lot of problems but, as you say, difficult to know how this could be arranged.  Maybe we just have to wait until soccer really takes off.

Melbourne City on the move after key players return from injury: Connor Chapman

December 8, 2015

Michael Lynch

With consecutive 5-1 wins over A-League strugglers Perth Glory and Central Coast Mariners, Melbourne City are flying and rapidly climbing the ladder.

Has the league's most consistently inconsistent team found its mojo and hit the sort of form that will make it a serious title contender?

Or is John van 't Schip's boys just beating up on this season's equivalent of the playground weaklings, making themselves look rough and tough in the process?

Talk to defender Connor Chapman, one of the few ever-presents in the club's injury-ravaged season so far, and the answer is most definitely the former.

The 21-year-old centre back believes that the return of key players and some good results has led to a big lift in confidence and that City has turned the corner following its season nadir, the horrific 0-3 home loss to Western Sydney in November.

"I think that's the A-League," he said on Tuesday. "If you get a few wins in a row, you go straight up the league. That's what we were focusing on, we needed to get that consistency with the wins instead of winning and losing one. I think we have got on a bit of a roll now.

"All the boys are buzzing right now. You just have to keep thinking like that, keep your head down and keep working."

Chapman is sure that the recent improvement is due to several players who were out of action earlier in the campaign returning to the training track.

City may have lost forward Corey Gameiro for the season, but Socceroo defender Ivan Franjic has recently come back, while marquee man Robbie Koren is training again as is defender Aaron Hughes, who has managed only half a game since joining in the off-season. James Brown, missing all season, is also training though is not yet ready to play.

"There's more competition for spots," Chapman said. "That's what we needed.

"At the start of the year, we were changing the team in and out. I think we are now getting close to what will be our starting team.

"Robbie is our marquee and he's a very good player. To have him back would be great. "

Chapman admits that the loss to the Wanderers highlighted all the team's faults. The Sydney side scored three second-half goals and City simply fell apart.

Since then, they have shown resilience and determination, not just in the two big wins but when they toughed it out for a 1-1 draw in Brisbane. 

"We have got a few things to work on, we are not perfect. I think a lot of the players we have brought in this year are a little more experienced, they know how to get wins.

"There is a better feeling around the club this year, there is more expectation."

What has really boosted the team's performance is that all of its front players are now capable of hitting the target, and the return of Harry Novillo from injury has given them both a creative and cutting edge. For instance in the win over the Mariners there were four separate scorers.

"When we go forward now, it's not just our strikers or wingers, everyone in the front part of the field can score.

"Last year, we had a few core players who scored goals. This year, there are maybe eight or nine who have scored so far. That's a very big positive, and hopefully we can keep doing that."

Chapman has now played 50 A-League games and notched his first-ever goal against Perth, but he believes there is still a long way for him to go.

So far he has had several defensive partners at the heart of the City rearguard – Patrick Kisnorbo, Hughes, Jacob Melling and Jack Clisby – and while he admits it would be better to have a settled side, he is happy simply to be playing and learning his trade. 

"It's a good feeling to get to the 50. I have developed a lot since I started, and I still feel I have a lot of development to go," says Chapman, who moved to City before the 2014-15 season after starting at Newcastle.

"It is quite disappointing that we haven't kept a clean sheet yet. It's a massive thing that we would have liked.

"But as JVS (van 't Schip) has said, it's not just the defenders, it's the whole shape of the team that is important. We are definitely working on that at the moment. When we get that right, we will be pretty hard to beat.

"I am focusing on myself playing. Hopefully we can get everyone back and I can cement my spot, someone else can cement theirs," said Chapman, who is also targeting a spot in Australia's Olympic team for Rio should the Olyroos qualify.

Chapman returns to Newcastle this weekend with City determined to show that their run has not been a fluke. And they have plenty of reason to make a point given the last time they City were two up at the interval only to concede three second-half goals to lose in front of their own fans.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/melbourne-city-on-the-move-after-key-players-return-from-injury-connor-chapman-20151208-gli24n.html

Seems like there is genuine confidence in the team at the moment, which is great.

...but I remember last year when we went to Newcastle and belted them 2-5, to then lose to CCM 2-0 the game after.

So for mine, this game is a great chance to see just how far we have come. A loss this week and we're really not that much better off than last season, despite all the talk and the much better squad. A win however, should prove to all we are definitely making steps forward.

Really looking forward to this one.

Edited by rass
  • Like 1

For me, I'm looking forward to this game as a means to see (a.) We are able string three games together / show proper consistency, and (b.) compete against a team in with a shout of top six. 

Of our 4 wins all have been against bottom three teams. Granted you still have to put your chances / opponents away on a week by week basis (thereby give the team credit for last two games) but the results can be deceiving. 

In terms of this game last season (that is the second game of the Gosford / Newcastle away double over the space of a week) we have two points less (only 14 points compared to 16) but have four games in hand (have only played 9 compared to 13). 

And while we are conceding fractionally more (1.778 a game this season to 1.692) we are scoring over a goal a game more (2.556 to 1.538). 

Most interestingly we are conceding 1.2 goals fewer in away games compared to aforementioned game last (1.6 this season compared to 2.8). Given how soft the CCM goal was last week, how soft Newcastle's two goals were last season in the 5-2 win and how toothless they are this season (making me think they haven't improved at all in attack from last season) I think we are good for a clean sheet. 

Then again we are pretty shite at the back

Edited by mattyh001
  • Like 2

Melbourne City FC squad: 1.Thomas SORENSEN (GK), 4.Connor CHAPMAN, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 6.Erik PAARTALU, 8.Aaron MOOY, 9.Harry NOVILLO, 10.Robi KOREN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Tando VELAPHI (GK), 21.Stefan MAUK, 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO (c), 25.Jacob MELLING, 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA, 36.Matt MILLER

**two to be omitted**

Ins: 10.Robi KOREN (returns from injury), 36.Matt MILLER (promoted)

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 3.Aaron HUGHES (calf - 1 week), 7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee - season), 11.Michael ZULLO (calf - 2 weeks), 14.James BROWN (2-3 weeks), 26.Marc MARINO (knee - 4-5 weeks)

It's funny our "marquee" player is back and I feel no excitement whatsoever!

In fact I almost have a feeling of "ohhhh crap, this is gonna stuff up the whole team dynamics"

Edited by Red or Dead

2 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Is it just me or does anyone else think Retre is very average? Sure, he has some good moments but not enough to be ahead of Melling.

IMO a lot of things Retre does goes unnoticed (I guess he doesn't have a very flashy or ostentatious playing style). For example, the 4th goal against Central Coast doesn't happen without Retre, as Retre tackled and won the ball and then got it to Mooy before Mooy assisted Mauk for his goal. Also, Retre was one of the best passers in the team against Central Coast, with 21 passes made at 85.7% passing accuracy, and Retre was the best passer in the team against Perth with 46 passes made at 91.3% passing accuracy and against Brisbane with 36 passes made at 94.4% passing accuracy (for comparison, against Central Coast Melling made 34 passes at 73.5% passing accuracy).

I would like to see Retre do a little bit more defending (and hopefully that valuable tackle against Central Coast that created the goal-scoring opportunity is a sign of things to come), but IMO Retre's been solid when called upon to play in midfield this season.

So based on form, Retre's solid past 3 games in midfield and Melling underwhelming return to midfield against Central Coast, I reckon there's a decent argument to start Retre over Melling in midfield against Newcastle. However it's a really tough 50-50 call IMO and I'd be happy with either Retre or Melling starting, so it'll be interesting to see who JVS picks on Sunday.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Retre definitely starts over Melling. Melling was hopeless against CCM

I don't disagree with the second  sentence, but young players are notoriously inconsistent so the occasional poor game is to be expected (& Paulo is not immune to this either).

I would start the one who trained the best during the week. I would definitely have Koren on the bench  and would definitely be bringing him on. Whether the non starter of Melling & Retre gets on the field depends on the game.

1 hour ago, Murfy1 said:

IMO a lot of things Retre does goes unnoticed (I guess he doesn't have a very flashy or ostentatious playing style). For example, the 4th goal against Central Coast doesn't happen without Retre, as Retre tackled and won the ball and then got it to Mooy before Mooy assisted Mauk for his goal. Also, Retre was one of the best passers in the team against Central Coast, with 21 passes made at 85.7% passing accuracy, and Retre was the best passer in the team against Perth with 46 passes made at 91.3% passing accuracy and against Brisbane with 36 passes made at 94.4% passing accuracy (for comparison, against Central Coast Melling made 34 passes at 73.5% passing accuracy).

I would like to see Retre do a little bit more defending (and hopefully that valuable tackle against Central Coast that created the goal-scoring opportunity is a sign of things to come), but IMO Retre's been solid when called upon to play in midfield this season.

So based on form, Retre's solid past 3 games in midfield and Melling underwhelming return to midfield against Central Coast, I reckon there's a decent argument to start Retre over Melling in midfield against Newcastle. However it's a really tough 50-50 call IMO and I'd be happy with either Retre or Melling starting, so it'll be interesting to see who JVS picks on Sunday.

^What i was goingto say if i wasnt so lazy