Melbourne Football

The APL/FA Management Thread

thisphantomfortress

1 hour ago, Dylan said:

Gallop just ensured that the seperation of the aleague from the FFA is going to happen a lot sooner than the clubs planned

It's no secret that this is what the CFG eventually wants. My personal opinion is that this is the direction the clubs must go. This couple with the Nux ordeal just shows how incompetent the FFA really are

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thisphantomfortress said:

It's no secret that this is what the CFG eventually wants. My personal opinion is that this is the direction the clubs must go. This couple with the Nux ordeal just shows how incompetent the FFA really are

Does anyone have any accurate insight into how FFA and the clubs are structured currently, and conversely, how the FA is set up in England?

Perhaps our good friends @Falastur and @silva10 can help from an English perspective??

Edited by bt50

Interesting to compare what's happening here with the way it's handled in the UK. There is legislation specifically aimed at spectators attending football matches. So the UK courts are involved in sentencing and banning orders. Presumably there is an appeal process and evidence is available to the person being charged.  FFA process by comparison appears to be like a 'star chamber'

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-34936495

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1989/37/introduction

48 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Does anyone have any accurate insight into how FFA and the clubs are structured currently, and conversely, how the FA is set up in England?

Perhaps our good friends @Falastur and @silva10 can help from an English perspective??

Well, from reading roughly half of the FFA constitution, the FFA is basically "owned" by the 9 state level soccer association (NSW has 2); who get to vote on board appointments at the AGM; board sets main policies and hires the CEO; the CEO hires the rest of the senior management, with whom s/he runs the organisation; from my understanding, the FFA issues licences to external bodies to operate an a-league team (aside from the FFA, no-one can hold multiple licences) with each licence holder having whatever management structure they want and can do whatever they want - provided that the terms of the licence are met

Does that answer your question, or have I misinterpreted what you asked?

The FFA A League licenses are franchises, FFA are the franchiser. This establishes the type of relationship between the franchisees and the owner of the competition, the FFA. The FFA has responsibilities in overall organisation and promotion but can withdraw or transfer the franchise if the franchise doesn't meet its obligations. It's a bit like 7 Eleven (without the cheap labour deals). One advantage of this system is that it allows FFA to intervene if what it sees as national interests are threatened by narrow franchise interests, and it allows FFA to step in when franchises become too dysfunctional (as has happened too many times in the past 10 years) and so preserve the integrity and continuation of the competition. What it doesn't do is allow the competition to evolve unless its in a direction that the FFA wants.

Mr Gallop sounded like a buffoon today! When he was selected for the job after his rugby days, I thought he'll fuck it up for sure. It has taken longer than I thought he would but today showed that he has no interest and no idea about what's going on, he's just one of those guys that seems to go places for no reason at all. I know this is slightly off topic but I would like to see Andrew Dimitriou have a crack, this might be a left field view but at least he can do a press conference without saying UMM more than show and tell in a kinder classroom.#Gallopout 

Gallop actually successfully defused crisis after crisis in the NRL (he was never in Rugby, that was John O'Neill), this should have been a walk in the park.

Ok so I actually saw the presser this time (not with the Q&A though ), was going off the SEN commentary before.  i think jw was right, he really missed the chance to stand up for the game which was very disappointing, but the presser wasn't as bad as people were saying.  

Is it the Q&A that has really annoyed everyone?  

Edited by Shahanga
improved post

1 hour ago, ecguymer said:

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/seewhatsusiesays/index.php/heraldsun/comments/banned_football_thugs_should_not_be_supported_by_walkout/

Oh look, a news ltd columnist who hasn't actually looked into something before writing about it, what a shock.......

Susie O'brien is the worst journalist and the biggest moron in history (srs)

Every single one of her articles is filled with complete shit that panders to women, whether it's saying their should be more women in parliament simply because their aren't enough atm (rather then letting them get in on merit) or writing an entire article about if men had periods (http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/seewhatsusiesays/index.php/heraldsun/comments/what_would_happen_if_men_got_periods/, just remember, she gets paid to do this) all she does is write uneducated, bias shit.

In fact i don't know why would even take her opinion or rebecca wilsons for that matter seriously. At least if it was a journalist like simon hill having a go at us we could actually have some intelligent discussion about the matter instead of giving these morons who clearly know nothing about the game air time they do not deserve.

Heres some advice the next time one of these people write an article, and how to make them go away:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKao_Pox5A

Edited by kingofhearts
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

The FFA A League licenses are franchises, FFA are the franchiser. This establishes the type of relationship between the franchisees and the owner of the competition, the FFA. The FFA has responsibilities in overall organisation and promotion but can withdraw or transfer the franchise if the franchise doesn't meet its obligations. It's a bit like 7 Eleven (without the cheap labour deals). One advantage of this system is that it allows FFA to intervene if what it sees as national interests are threatened by narrow franchise interests, and it allows FFA to step in when franchises become too dysfunctional (as has happened too many times in the past 10 years) and so preserve the integrity and continuation of the competition. What it doesn't do is allow the competition to evolve unless its in a direction that the FFA wants.

This is similar to the AFL and is not necessarily a bad thing. What is happening this season is that the FFA has committed a number of high profile and significant stuff ups. And it seems that it is unable to evolve itself or at least Gallop is unable to do so. They are still thinking in year zero terms. I wonder what relationship Gallop has with the media outlets. Some things cannot be undone for this season at least such as the scheduling, others may have a remedy such as WP and more importantly the relationship the FFA want to have with the fans. Now with a new chairman in Steven Lowy, the board should have a careful look at the manner Gallop and De Bohun have handled the leaking of information and the way fans are being treated. I am not sure how far the multimedia rights have progressed (if at all) but it certainly looking like a good time to tap Gallop on the shoulder and hire someone else.

1 hour ago, Shahanga said:

Gallop actually successfully defused crisis after crisis in the NRL (he was never in Rugby, that was John O'Neill), this should have been a walk in the park.

Ok so I actually saw the presser this time (not with the Q&A though ), was going off the SEN commentary before.  i think jw was right, he really missed the chance to stand up for the game which was very disappointing, but the presser wasn't as bad as people were saying.  

Based on what I've witnessed since the formation of Heart I'd say the problem is more endemic disease within FFA than Gallop himself. At NRL he probably had far better consultants advising on PR, doing the training, preparing the pressers, etc. Material coming out of FFA often has spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, a clear indication of the level of seriousness at which FFA takes PR. 

I've done all this stuff - a while ago - mostly radio but some TV. The key points are the development of the message, staying on message - to the point where you quite often ignore the question altogether and simply say what you want to say - and whilst staying on message you adjust the manner of delivery according to your audience (this to ensure that you talk neither up or down to that audience). You train in "stage" conditions - full TV makeup and under floodlights (which make you sweat like hell) with your own PR team firing the questions at you. The aim is to keep repeating the message and give that message in no more than a 30-second "grab." That's usually all the media will give you on most issues. The other thing is, it's a game. The PR consultants know it's a game (many former journos), and the media knows it's a game. Give them a punchy "grab" and they're happy.

The best example I know is an election won by Neville Wran in NSW. His message was "The people of New South Wales have made the right choice", and he just repeated it time after time. Surprise, surprise - that was the headline conveyed in the print media the morning after the poll.

Gallop is just a pawn in this, and he's getting poor backroom support. Mind you, as CEO he ought to be far more alert to the indaequacy than he appears to be.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Based on what I've witnessed since the formation of Heart I'd say the problem is more endemic disease within FFA than Gallop himself. At NRL he probably had far better consultants advising on PR, doing the training, preparing the pressers, etc. Material coming out of FFA often has spelling mistakes and grammatical errors, a clear indication of the level of seriousness at which FFA takes PR. 

I've done all this stuff - a while ago - mostly radio but some TV. The key points are the development of the message, staying on message - to the point where you quite often ignore the question altogether and simply say what you want to say - and whilst staying on message you adjust the manner of delivery according to your audience (this to ensure that you talk neither up or down to that audience). You train in "stage" conditions - full TV makeup and under floodlights (which make you sweat like hell) with your own PR team firing the questions at you. The aim is to keep repeating the message and give that message in no more than a 30-second "grab." That's usually all the media will give you on most issues. The other thing is, it's a game. The PR consultants know it's a game (many former journos), and the media knows it's a game. Give them a punchy "grab" and they're happy.

The best example I know is an election won by Neville Wran in NSW. His message was "The people of New South Wales have made the right choice", and he just repeated it time after time. Surprise, surprise - that was the headline conveyed in the print media the morning after the poll.

Gallop is just a pawn in this, and he's getting poor backroom support. Mind you, as CEO he ought to be far more alert to the indaequacy than he appears to be.

You get more interesting by the day JW. Not just a quiz master I see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Even Dave Davutovic agreed with your dulcet tones this evening

its hard doing talk back. You're on hold for so long that you end up in this daze then suddenly have to remember what you we're going to talk about.

I didn't know FFA only had 70 staff. Sounds a bit like Scott Munn running the heart

2 hours ago, Shahanga said:

Which made Gallop an odd appointment by the FFA. He made his name in crisis management but soccer in Australia was reasonably stable when he took the job. There was commentary when he was appointed (i think it may have been from Roy Masters) that the FFA should be looking to appoint someone who was bold, innovative and had vision. Which is the opposite of Gallop (reactionary and pragmatic). And look what happens 3 years later when problems are left to fester.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

If I were Gallop I'd be furious after that presser and I'd be quickly moving on people in my office. He certainly was more impressive in his NRL role although I didn't follow that as closely although this is really a battle for control of the peak football competition in Australia, he's used to battling the corporate owners but taking on organised grass roots supporter groups is a whole new paradigm in Australian sports, hardly anyone in any top level sports organisation here would have the experience to do better unfortunately. It seems to be a feature all through world football like the grassroots driven FIFA reform movement and even in the league with the strongest fan culture, the Budesliga.

I also do some radio work (free plug to Radiotherapy on 3RRR - Sundays at 10am), the main thing is that you've either got to know what you are talking about or at least sound like it. Gallop failed on both counts

6 hours ago, Dylan said:

Gallop just ensured that the seperation of the aleague from the FFA is going to happen a lot sooner than the clubs planned

Yes, I'd be very surprised if our owners aren't spending quite a bit of time on the phone at the moment

7 minutes ago, jeffplz said:

What does that even mean? FFA separating from the a league?

Well it's no secret how fond of the FFA our CEO is and how the powers that be in Manchester have floated the idea to the other owners before. I've nailed my colours to the mast and hope the CFG bust into this and get that ball rolling.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AntiScum said:

hopefully you guys can get together with the northern terrace and organise something. biggest game to make a point!!

i hope Gallop chokes on his next dumpling!!

Yes, a united protest would send an extremely clear message and gets lots of media coverage.

We just better liberate a lot of star systems before the FFA Empire sends in the Death Star.

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

We just better liberate a lot of star systems before the FFA Empire sends in the Death Star.

FFA can't afford to refuel the death star.

last seen somewhere near new Zealand, hovering over wellington 

• jw1739 changed the title to The APL/FA Management Thread
  • jw1739 pinned this topic