Jump to content
Melbourne Football

Casey Fields - City's new home


jw1739
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 30/07/2023 at 1:58 PM, jw1739 said:

Judging by the $12m we're supposed to have spent on just one (but oversize) playing surface at Bundoora looks like there's a fair bit of dosh still to be spent.

What is the total amount of all construction, did they report? I didn't find that in the article that's in the first post of this thread.

Hi all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/7/2023 at 8:58 PM, jw1739 said:

Judging by the $12m we're supposed to have spent on just one (but oversize) playing surface at Bundoora looks like there's a fair bit of dosh still to be spent.

We have spent over 40m on the facility and that’s one of the last stage is the 4K mini stadium pitch 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Yes they get handed a 100m new facility. 

I don't think we can whinge about this. We walked away from our facility at Bundoora, and at least this new facility - largely if not wholly paid for by taxpayers one way or another - is going to be used regularly and not become just another sports white elephant.

We chose to move to Casey Fields so we have to take the consequences of doing so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I don't think we can whinge about this. We walked away from our facility at Bundoora, and at least this new facility - largely if not wholly paid for by taxpayers one way or another - is going to be used regularly and not become just another sports white elephant.

We chose to move to Casey Fields so we have to take the consequences of doing so.

I think we can question it. How is this fair for other clubs? I’m nothing talking about us.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I think we can question it. How is this fair for other clubs? I’m nothing talking about us.

I'm afraid that can't see that there's anything unfair about it. AFAIK it's a publicly funded facility and I presume is being leased to Victory as a tenant at an appropriate rental/lease. I say that presuming that we pay an appropriate rental/lease for what we occupy at Casey Fields other than developments that we are funding ourselves.

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I'm afraid that can't see that there's anything unfair about it. AFAIK it's a publicly funded facility and I presume is being leased to Victory as a tenant at an appropriate rental/lease. I say that presuming that we pay an appropriate rental/lease for what we occupy at Casey Fields other than developments that we are funding ourselves.

I doubt it but sure show us proof? It’s a hand out. 
 

Why not make that the base for all national teams on the period basis they meet? $100m public funding wasn’t meant to be leased to Victory. I want our future junior internationals male or female to use these facilities - seriously what is wrong with our administrations body? 

Edited by Mr MO
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I doubt it but sure show us proof? It’s a hand out. 
 

Why not make that the base for all national teams on the period basis they meet? $100m public funding wasn’t meant to be leased to Victory. I want our future junior internationals male or female to use these facilities - seriously what is wrong with our administrations body? 

I guess that as we don't know the details of the (presumed) lease we can't say whether national squads (or anyone else) can or cannot use the facility. I most certainly agree that it makes a lot of sense for there to be one facility for all national squads, because otherwise it's just another case of squandering taxpayers' money. IMO the problem right throughout our "nation" is that we are a federation of sovereign States plus a couple of Territories, and often it seems that the various jurisdictions are working against one another in a sort of "one-upmanship" contest rather than actually delivering what is best for everyone at minimum cost.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
54 minutes ago, citypool said:

That site is right next door to Dandenong station, proposed to be the home of Team11. Old cattleyards I'm told. I'm not sure that there's much parking though. The radial nature of Melbourne's rail system doesn't help - I live in the so-called south-east and would have to get to the Dandenong line to go by train, or park somewhere. Not impossible but a lot more time-consuming than getting to AAMI Park.

I also question the need for anything bigger than 15,000. Obvious home for City. Full of City fans with no away supporters at all suits me for Derbies!

The other thing about smaller stadiums but in population centres is that other facilities such as cafes, function rooms, etc. can be used 7 days a week - they become multi-functional and the return on investment is greater.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Zanty said:

The thing I would look forward to with having are own stadium is the club could set up a proper club shop, set up a trophy/history room and do stadium tours, all add to the experience 

Bang on!! 

I also would love a club room to watch away games how good would that be 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

100% with you all the way. Restaurant - take the wife there for dinner - all that sort of thing. I remember reading about Elton John when he took over Watford I think it was - he set out to do the same thing aiming to have the club's facilities in use 7 days a week. IIRC he even set up a child-minding centre there.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, citypool said:

I have no idea what's happening with this stadium. The women's team played one match here now they are back at Heidelberg 

Where have you gotten that?

I got my ticket for this weekends game against Sydney and it says it's at Casey Fields.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...
5 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

The facilities alone should help attract the best young players and visas too!

Wonder whether there's a "club room" where Members would be welcomed, meet each other, meet players and staff, watch videos, get a coffee, even have a meal, etc.?

Of course, Heart did that in the early days - the Westpac Meeting Room was it? - fans could go up there after a home match and meet the lads. It's on one of the early threads here. Very common, at least with smaller clubs, elsewhere - and of course at NPL level in Australia with the long-established clubs. My home town club still does it, even though we lost our old home ground years ago, and there's still a Supporters' Bar and welcome for visiting supporters, and the website even gives them details on local bus services to and from the ground and the latest time they should catch a train from London to make kick-off time. They really work hard to get spectators to the match. 

To our knowledge, does any other A-League club do this? With City, "fan engagement" just does not seem to be on the agenda.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...