Melbourne Football

Casey Fields - City's new home

jw1739

They’ll complete what they started with the colour change if they do this. Won’t just be fans in the west they’ll alienate. Everyone in the inner city, everyone in the north. Everyone who likes to go to games after work.

It’s not like we’ve got so many fans we can afford to lose a few. Basically it’s suicide. Anyway if they can’t see this, they’re beyond help.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Love of football comes from the heart; our owners are pursuing a business model, and therein lies the conflict. IMO the club needs to engage with present members pretty damn quickly about plans that may affect how members feel about future directions. I think we've shown repeatedly that having a whole lot of youngsters playing "junior soccer" does not lead to interest in the A-League, and I think that if the club indeed does intend to play its matches in Dandenong at some point in the future then that decision will lead to a significant loss in support. Yes, moving to Casey does preclude another A-League club from that area, but IMO it opens the door to the rest of Melbourne for the other two clubs.

We shall see.

The Casey move for the academy in mind seems a no brainer - blue print ready, council support, lots of space and leaning on existing facilities. Moving matches for main team to Dandenong is a more sensative matter, we might lose 3k fans but if 4k are gained by being more embedded in the regional community the club would see this as a win.

3 hours ago, Mr MO said:

The Casey move for the academy in mind seems a no brainer - blue print ready, council support, lots of space and leaning on existing facilities. Moving matches for main team to Dandenong is a more sensative matter, we might lose 3k fans but if 4k are gained by being more embedded in the regional community the club would see this as a win.

Fans are much easier to lose than to gain. Especially the loyal, committed sort. They could well lose that 3k almost overnight. The 4k will take a decade to arrive. And the 3k won't go quietly.

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, are there any government restrictions or incentives that require the club to stay at AAMI? I know that in Queensland, the big leagues have to play at designated grounds and I have always wondered why  AFL clubs gave their home ground advantages in Melbourne to go either to Marvel or the MCG.

Went out to watch the NPL City Boys play in our new Cranbourne home last night, hell of a drive. Straight hour from Docklands. You can see why the club is moving there though, absolute acres of space. Counted 6 pitches (with more being built), most were on fake grass. Good win btw, 4-1 to second placed Doveton.

10 hours ago, IssySG said:

Went out to watch the NPL City Boys play in our new Cranbourne home last night, hell of a drive. Straight hour from Docklands. You can see why the club is moving there though, absolute acres of space. Counted 6 pitches (with more being built), most were on fake grass. Good win btw, 4-1 to second placed Doveton.

I live in the "south-east." It's a hell of a drive from my place too. I wonder about the players in the future - I can't see them wanting to live in that area of "Melbourne," so they'll be up for a commute too. They might not have to pay or drive themselves, but it's still a long way. From my place the traffic is horrible and of course won't get any better.

My thoughts on Casey fields and possible Dandenong stadium.

Yep its far. But probably only go there once or twice per year, family day or like, so really doesn't matter. 

Players can work it out, most proffessional players move and travel for gametime, little bit of traffic shouldn't be an issue.

Stadium in Dandenong would suck, but if it was "ours" I'd go.

I don't get the opinion of some that they would pull the pin if our home games moved from Aami to Dandenong,  obviously being able to go easily is awesome but I know hundreds of people that are passionate fans of teams on the other side of the world and mostly have never been to a home game.

I just don't get the notion of walking  away from a club,  just find a way to support the club differently, but hey each to their own.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Jovan said:

My thoughts on Casey fields and possible Dandenong stadium.

Yep its far. But probably only go there once or twice per year, family day or like, so really doesn't matter. 

Players can work it out, most proffessional players move and travel for gametime, little bit of traffic shouldn't be an issue.

Stadium in Dandenong would suck, but if it was "ours" I'd go.

I don't get the opinion of some that they would pull the pin if our home games moved from Aami to Dandenong,  obviously being able to go easily is awesome but I know hundreds of people that are passionate fans of teams on the other side of the world and mostly have never been to a home game.

I just don't get the notion of walking  away from a club,  just find a way to support the club differently, but hey each to their own.

Because some of us are only supporters of City due to legacy, so whether rightly or wrongly, I feel that with each significant change the club makes the relationship feels more like that of retailer & consumer rather than club & supporter. So as we shift further along the spectrum, I ask myself, why support a product that I will no longer be able to consume (on the assumption home games are moved to Dandenong) because they decided that the particular demographic I am in, is no longer important to them. 

Going to games to watch my team live is a big part of the enjoyment I derive from supporting the club, you take that away and there isn't much left.

• Like 3

Is it just me or is it just that nothing came from the mouth of Club's staff that they are welcoming the idea to play home games in a dandenong stadium that doesn't exist?

I see it as though the government/council are gambling on the prospect of trying to make the idea of a stadium in Dandenong an attraction and to lure City to play A-League games over there, whether consistently or once a blue moon while they try to accommodate other events and sports to use the venue? Politicians behind team 11 pushed so hard for a license and now they want to leech onto City's presence because of their relocation to Casey Fields.

It's like as if people have been putting words into the clubs mouth and conceded that the club overall will move away from AAMI Park without hearing a peep from them about this whole commotion. 

8 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

Is it just me or is it just that nothing came from the mouth of Club's staff that they are welcoming the idea to play home games in a dandenong stadium that doesn't exist?

I see it as though the government/council are gambling on the prospect of trying to make the idea of a stadium in Dandenong an attraction and to lure City to play A-League games over there, whether consistently or once a blue moon while they try to accommodate other events and sports to use the venue? Politicians behind team 11 pushed so hard for a license and now they want to leech onto City's presence because of their relocation to Casey Fields.

It's like as if people have been putting words into the clubs mouth and conceded that the club overall will move away from AAMI Park without hearing a peep from them about this whole commotion. 

You'd have to do a bit of trawling to find what our CEO has precisely said about the possibility. But IIRC the topic did get a mention when the move was first announced. But you are correct that it is the local council who have included our move to CF in their case to the State Government.

It's just a discussion topic on here, and not surprisingly people have differing views about it.

9 minutes ago, Young Polak said:

Ah ffs

Done it for you. From Michael Lynch's article https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/shock-move-melbourne-city-to-relocate-in-bid-for-more-fans-20201214-p56nda.html

"Asked about a new stadium in Dandenong, Rowse was circumspect.
"We don't have anything concrete on that one, if that is something that gets explored in the future we would of course have a look at it but it's not been part of the decision making process at this point," he said."

Edited by jw1739
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

And the rugby clubs? Worried about the state of the pitch now.

That of course is a reason why clubs would like their own stadiums. Once you get Rugby Union played at AAMI - League is not so bad - and a concert or two, Monster Trucks etc. etc.  the place becomes a real mess - as we have seen before.

A whole lot of issues come with multi-use facilities. Three football clubs is enough to deal with before the others are added.

10 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

That of course is a reason why clubs would like their own stadiums. Once you get Rugby Union played at AAMI - League is not so bad - and a concert or two, Monster Trucks etc. etc.  the place becomes a real mess - as we have seen before.

A whole lot of issues come with multi-use facilities. Three football clubs is enough to deal with before the others are added.

Now we have 2 rugby clubs and 3 football clubs playing there in the same period right?

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Now we have 2 rugby clubs and 3 football clubs playing there in the same period right?

WU feel like the unwanted guests who turned up to the party and now won't go home. Turns out they don't have a home to go to. And the part time lodger has just decided to stay full time. And if WU think we're about to leave to make more space...

38 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I just wonder...who favoured WU over Team11 because the choice has allowed us to take over Casey Fields, and the Matildas Bundoora...very convenient, eh?

My conspiracy theories have always been strong on the one. (The selection of WU seemed so weird)

And they have the audacity to claim melbourne is the sporting capital of the world when they can only provide one stadium to accommodate three professional clubs....

then you have the NSW clubs who are all able to play games without intersecting each other whilst they have stadium redevelopments 

Joke of a state and joke of a league 

I think it should have been a criterion for expansion for a club to have a stadium. It's no use relying on government to build these "all bells and whistles" stadiums. We have to find ways of building the right sized venues along basic lines for far less than at present. A stadium that a club uses 20 times a year just not need all the infrastructure built in - facilities such as food and drink outlets should be as the sausage stand used to be - come in and set up on the day of the match rather like the Bunnings car-park vendors that you see. The wastage at AAMI Park is phenomenal - yes the roof might be an architectural marvel but much of the construction material is a waste, and it's not particularly functional either.

Yes, Sydney is better off than we are because its major football code is League, and there are plenty of grounds in existence. Melbourne is not so well-endowed. Yet there are semi-derelict footy grounds all over the place...my LGA has plenty. They're used by various amateur footy clubs and dog walkers, and that's just about it. Ratepayers pay a bloody fortune to keep these facilities open and there are continual demands for upgrades, floodlights, women's toilets and the list goes on and on.

We've just got to be fucking smarter in how we go about things.

• 5 months later...

I would suggest that everyone (anyone?) left on this Forum read the earlier posts on this particular thread. It seems to me that our worst fears are on the point of being realised. I have a sickening feeling that this FFA Cup match is just the start of what will see a number of matches moved away from AAMI and to some pitch or other at Casey. It's the start of the next stage of the destruction of what was once our club. Looking at earlier footage from derbies and other matches brings tears to my eyes to see what once was. Melbourne was there for us to take, but now we gave given away vast swathes of territory to the other two clubs in town. I don't know what the long-term plan for City is, but it doesn't look at this stage that the interests of current members and supporters are included in it.

26 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I would suggest that everyone (anyone?) left on this Forum read the earlier posts on this particular thread. It seems to me that our worst fears are on the point of being realised. I have a sickening feeling that this FFA Cup match is just the start of what will see a number of matches moved away from AAMI and to some pitch or other at Casey. It's the start of the next stage of the destruction of what was once our club. Looking at earlier footage from derbies and other matches brings tears to my eyes to see what once was. Melbourne was there for us to take, but now we gave given away vast swathes of territory to the other two clubs in town. I don't know what the long-term plan for City is, but it doesn't look at this stage that the interests of current members and supporters are included in it.

Mate, talk about drawing conclusions. 

We are playing a FFA cup game at our training facility and you are then suggesting that this will be an ongoing scenario. 

Tied to playing a midweek cup game at our training facility this also indicates the club as whole is in demise compared to derbies from seasons gone.

Chill, enjoy being champions, check out the new training venue and enjoy the sun on your back.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

From a growth perspective that eastern corridor with most grass root clubs in the country is far more valuable than fighting with Victory over the same small piece of turf (which we clearly won’t win in terms of fan numbers).

10 minutes ago, Jovan said:

Mate, talk about drawing conclusions. 

We are playing a FFA cup game at our training facility and you are then suggesting that this will be an ongoing scenario. 

Tied to playing a midweek cup game at our training facility this also indicates the club as whole is in demise compared to derbies from seasons gone.

Chill, enjoy being champions, check out the new training venue and enjoy the sun on your back.

We are also playing the Phoenix who are bringing no fans.

3 hours ago, cremorne said:

Here are some aerial photos showing the changes at Casey Fields over the last three years, from December 2018 to November 2021.

Casey Fields 2018-12-11 1920px.jpeg

Casey Fields 2021-11-28 1920px.jpeg

You can see the space available south of those rectangular pitches. We couldn’t even have the whole club at Bundoora so plenty of space there for the academy and small match grounds.

5 minutes ago, citypool said:

It’s actually a loss for everyone because if team 11 came in western United wouldn’t be around and we’ll all be happy.

Then CFG would eventually have gone west for better and larger facilities and a suburban catchment.