Melbourne Football

December 19 Christmas Derby

Cityscape

They are like the oldest brother who feels threatened by the arrival of a new brother and wishes him dead and gone. It all stems from underlying insecurity and the bravado is merely a front. Now that we are backed by CFG they are even more insecure.

CFG have made plenty of mistakes and get a D- from me so far but the hollow victory are already shitting themselves

8 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Harsh critic.

They get marks for:

name change

badge

facility investment

W-League team that will revolutionaries Australian women's football

working with other franchise holders to professionalise the League and soften FFA's iron grip

They lose marks for:

colours and home jersey

last season's recruiting - it was important to hit the ground running last season

coach appointment

Koren as marquee

Villa fiasco

hiring a demented psychopathic North Korean plastic surgeon to perform hideous plastic surgery on Ticker

They are on an overall pass but only just.

Could do better given the potential

1 hour ago, belaguttman said:

They are like the oldest brother who feels threatened by the arrival of a new brother and wishes him dead and gone. It all stems from underlying insecurity and the bravado is merely a front. Now that we are backed by CFG they are even more insecure.

CFG have made plenty of mistakes and get a D- from me so far but the hollow victory are already shitting themselves

3rwg61.jpg

Edited by Luke
misprint
  • Like 2

Christ almighty, we were about to collapse as a club and not only were we taken over, we were taken over by football people who are one of the powerful groups in the world.

Koren and Mooy will leave after the season, meaning we have two free marquee spots. Would be shocked if we don't get at least one, if not two stars.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

They get marks for:

name change

badge

facility investment

working with other franchise holders to professionalise the League and soften FFA's iron grip

NYL Premiership

This seasons recruiting

Replacement of Fan Engagement Officer

They lose marks for:

colours and home jersey

last season's recruiting - it was important to hit the ground running last season - tend to disagree with this outside of Koren

coach appointment

Koren as marquee

Villa fiasco

hiring a demented psychopathic North Korean plastic surgeon to perform hideous plastic surgery on Ticker

IMO the overall product has greatly improved. Sure they've made some mistakes but from my viewpoint they've learnt from each of those and are only improving off the field. The great test now is to push on with it and 'prove' we are the real deal. Im a firm believer that we have a lot of fans, but many of them are just casual fans. Build it, and they will come (back).

• Like 3

@bt50 I agree with you but I think that they have made some initial miscalculations that have made the task harder than it needed to be, last year was a crucial one for the new owners and they lost momentum, mainly through the Villa fiasco. They've acknowledged that it was a mistake and I'm sure that they wot make the same mistake again but it has set them back.

The problem is that the erratic on field performances + Villa mean that the franchise has lost trust with the potential audience and that's the main reason why people aren't coming back. People aren't sure which version of Melbourne City they will see on the pitch.

27 minutes ago, Cityscape said:

Christ almighty, we were about to collapse as a club and not only were we taken over, we were taken over by football people who are one of the powerful groups in the world.

Koren and Mooy will leave after the season, meaning we have two free marquee spots. Would be shocked if we don't get at least one, if not two stars.

No, Heart wasn't going broke or collapsing. The licence was given to the wrong people, wealthy and meant well but people with no football knowledge and no will to properly invest

Edited by belaguttman
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, belaguttman said:

@bt50 I agree with you but I think that they have made some initial miscalculations that have made the task harder than it needed to be, last year was a crucial one for the new owners and they lost momentum, mainly through the Villa fiasco. They've acknowledged that it was a mistake

I thought that the problem there was that in fact no-one has acknowledged the mistake in allowing misleading media coverage to go uncorrected let alone apologise to us (or the media) for the whole Villa fiasco...and if we're talking globally the NYC/Lampard thing was even worse, saying he had signed for NYC and then denying that he ever did.

17 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I thought that the problem there was that in fact no-one has acknowledged the mistake in allowing misleading media coverage to go uncorrected let alone apologise to us (or the media) for the whole Villa fiasco...and if we're talking globally the NYC/Lampard thing was even worse, saying he had signed for NYC and then denying that he ever did.

I'm sure that the Lampard fiasco caused as many issues with NYCFC fans. Presumably both deals reflected systemic issues in the newly expanded organisation at the time. The wider problem for us is that 16,000 people turned up to our first home game with Villa, we now only get 8,000. The other 8,000 feel betrayed and I'm not sure what will re-establish trust with them and potentially others that were turned off. It may not be an issue if attractive football can disguise the trust and identity issues

• Like 1

All true bela, but I am still buzzing after our win. I know it was over one of the bottom sides who are seemingly in the middle of a long losing streak, but as we've said time and time again, if you want to get something out of a season you have to take all 3 points off those weaker opponents. Moving up in class next week of course, but I'm confident our boys won't squander as many chances this time and put them away.

Besides the majority of the first half where we played alright it's good to win when your not playing your best. Especially when the other team has played their best football all season. Sometimes these things happen. But I agree Shahanga it's always the mark of a good team to beat teams you should. Im sure we will get back to our better standard of football this coming week against Brisbane. 

4 hours ago, belaguttman said:

They get marks for:

name change

badge

facility investment

They lose marks for:

colours and home jersey

last season's recruiting - it was important to hit the ground running last season

coach appointment

Koren as marquee

Villa fiasco

They are on an overall pass but only just.

Could do better given the potential

Huge kudos for the women's team. We needed it. And they are fucking awesome 

4 hours ago, bt50 said:

IMO the overall product has greatly improved. Sure they've made some mistakes but from my viewpoint they've learnt from each of those and are only improving off the field. The great test now is to push on with it and 'prove' we are the real deal. Im a firm believer that we have a lot of fans, but many of them are just casual fans. Build it, and they will come (back).

agree.. saw many new faces where I sat at AAMI Park and hopefully, they will decide to take up memberships. and kudos to those Active members for organising the placards for the opening of the match. Saw a photo of it from the other side of the stadium. It was brilliant! 

10 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Couldn't believe the stupidity of the tard supporters setting off 2 flares. After all the noise made with regard to FFA treating Active poorly, on a day of total fire ban no less, when the state emergency chief specifically says they will come down hard on anyone setting them off, they make themselves look even more dumb than they are. Any goodwill created between Active and the FFA went backwards a few steps after that.

#BooTheFlare

Driving in with a few mates, heading south down Punt Rd having just crossed Bridge Rd. We normally cross the Swan St intersection for our 'tried and true' free parking spot, but on this occasion, we decided to try a plan B, as we could see smoke billowing out from that particular intersection under the rail bridge. So clever...keep giving those clowns in the media free hits against the league and its supporters.

19 minutes ago, SF33 said:

Driving in with a few mates, heading south down Punt Rd having just crossed Bridge Rd. We normally cross the Swan St intersection for our 'tried and true' free parking spot, but on this occasion, we decided to try a plan B, as we could see smoke billowing out from that particular intersection under the rail bridge. So clever...keep giving those clowns in the media free hits against the league and its supporters.

Exactly why I did not see the point in us protesting for these PPL...

NOTE: For those who forgot no MCFC supporter who received a ban since MCFC began was mentioned in the paper.

Edited by cadete
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cadete said:

NOTE: For those who forgot no MCFC supporter who received a ban since MCFC began was mentioned in the paper.

I'll tell you why we protested. We do have a fan who has received a ban since it became city. This kid is not all there mentally and was paid to light a flare and throw it onto the pitch. He wouldn't have the understanding of what he was doing yet has received a ban and a heavy fine. Does he not at least deserve the right to appeal? 

1 minute ago, agoalie said:

I'll tell you why we protested. We do have a fan who has received a ban since it became city. This kid is not all there mentally and was paid to light a flare and throw it onto the pitch. He wouldn't have the understanding of what he was doing yet has received a ban and a heavy fine. Does he not at least deserve the right to appeal? 

Was this person mentioned in the 198?

Also what would the right of appeal achieve if there is clearly video evidence of him lighting and throwing a flare?

7 minutes ago, agoalie said:

As ludicrous as that situation is, and whoever set him up is a fair dog, you are admitting that the bloke in question is guilty?

2 hours ago, cadete said:

You've made this point numerous times now, I don't quite see why you feel the need to reinforce your opinion on the subject to the extent that you do. Anyone who pays any kind of attention on this website is probably very aware of where you stand on the issue and have also likely seen your numerous posts where you pointed out not one MCFC supporter was mentioned in the paper.

Just for the record, before we actually went up to Sydney and got any kind of hearing with the FFA we'd actually been told a tifo for the derby was an absolute no go (pullover, card display or banner on poles, nothing was to be allowed) and guess what, we ended up getting to go through with our requested display after everything was said and done, so we achieved the results we set out to achieve when this all started.

26 minutes ago, sheepdog said:

As ludicrous as that situation is, and whoever set him up is a fair dog, you are admitting that the bloke in question is guilty?

Someone who is guilty but under those circumstances would receive the full term of a ban for igniting a flare with no regard for agoalie's mentioned specifics of his situation.

Under the new system (assuming it's followed through on) he would still receive a ban but would have the option for it to be reduced due to the extenuating circumstances, something that isn't currently done.

Edited by Embee
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, cadete said:

Was this person mentioned in the 198?

Also what would the right of appeal achieve if there is clearly video evidence of him lighting and throwing a flare?

There'd be legal grounds to revoke any contract that person signed as he's  not of able mind, he also wouldn't get the same punishment for any sort of criminal offense as a mentally healthy person would have. I personally think that this sort of legal thinking should be applied to the bans offenders get. There's no way that bloke deserves the same sort of punishment as a Horda type and should be able to argue for a lesser punishment.

Yes, I understand that A-League matches are private events held by the FFA and as such they have the right to refuse anyone entry for whatever reason they like and there's no legal basis for them to have to an appeals process. Just an opinion.

I also think there's way too much focus on the protests being about the 198 people who have been mentioned in the paper and not about the wider issues and attitudes with the FFA's dealings with the active groups.

I'd admit that the fault for that is somewhat at the league's active groups's feet though.

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I also think there's way too much focus on the protests being about the 198 people who have been mentioned in the paper and not about the wider issues and attitudes with the FFA's dealings with the active groups.

I'd admit that the fault for that is somewhat at the league's active groups's feet though.

I agree Jimmy. For example, the idea that we are banning a young person from football for five years over one silly error of judgement just seems medieval to me. I'd guess that there are many of us who can look back and find things that now we regret doing or saying, and are ashamed of. I certainly can. Draconian punishment isn't appropriate for many first offenders. IMO the overall attitude of FFA to all supporters, particularly the active groups, needs a complete overhaul, because the game belongs to all of us.