Melbourne Football

December 19 Christmas Derby

Cityscape

17 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

This is driving me mad murf, thought maybe you could help, i swear i was watching the news today on channel 10 and zullo was running laps with the main group, if he's fit enough to train why isn't he at least playing in the youth league or something like that?

Munn and others said at the last FRG meeting that some players are fit enough to do running and other exercise with the group, and maybe some football drills, up to 3 to 4 weeks before they can handle the physical demands of a football match. For example, take this short video of Novillo:

As Munn said, players returning from injury are at about "50%" when they start training again, and these players aren't running as fast as they can. And if they ran at 100% (like they have to in A-League football matches) then these recovering players would just break down and re-injure themselves.

So in short it can be deceptive how fit players are when one only looks at some photos or videos of players at training. Zullo and James Brown are training, as can be see in photos of training today here http://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/photo-gallery/gallery-melbourne-city-prepare-for-the-melbourne-derby-18qmam5kku7rj10lzl8oxb7zfu (also even Marc Marino is apparently training now),  but those players are at least 2 weeks away before they are 100% fit and ready to start playing in matches (and then it even takes a little bit more time before players are "match fit", and can contribute 100% of their quality when they are playing football matches).

I think the club are starting to get things right, like they did with Novillo and Franjic. So I'm glad Melbourne City isn't rushing players back from injury, and hopefully players like Zullo can become like Novillo and Franjic by becoming fully fit and not being at real risk of being sidelined due to injury again this season.

Edited by Murfy1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mjake1234 said:

Well, after round 10 we are 3rd on 17 points, just behind WSW on 22 and Brisbane on 18. MV 4th on 16.

Come on all you betting men, what are the odds on us staying there or bettering our position?

Surely Bambi's coaching skills can't persist to make his team finish above us?

2 hours ago, mjake1234 said:

Well, after round 10 we are 3rd on 17 points, just behind WSW on 22 and Brisbane on 18. MV 4th on 16.

Come on all you betting men, what are the odds on us staying there or bettering our position?

Looking at this makes me feel even more annoyed at our capitulation against the Jets.

Melbourne City defender Jack Clisby said the team was capable of adding to Melbourne Victory's woes after the A-League's defending champions slumped to a third straight loss midweek.

Clisby told The World Game he and the City players were keen to get another crack at Victory after the way their round-two clash ended, with Besart Berisha scoring a 90th-minute winner for Victory after City had fought back from 2-0 down to 2-2.

The two teams will clash at AAMI Park on Saturday night with City having won their last three games to go above Victory on the table. City are third and Victory, which lost 1-0 to Perth Glory in a deferred match on Wednesday, are fourth.

"I played in that match early in the season and it was an unfortunate loss at the end there, which was pretty hard to take," Clisby said. "A bit of revenge, we're out to try and get back at them this weekend.

"We obviously have a score to settle with them. It was a disappointing end to the game the last time and that hurt a lot of the boys, especially after the way we had reacted in the second half.

"We came from two goals down to level it up and to lose that way in the end, you just want to get back out there and turn the tables and redeem that. I expect it's going to be a great game."

Left-back Clisby, who joined Victory from Perth Glory midway through last season, has faced Victory right-winger Kosta Barbarouses several times in his career and will no doubt do so again on Saturday. It is always a difficult challenge, but one Clisby said he relished.

"He's a very good player and a very tricky dribbler, so it's going to be a tough game," he said. "But I've got full confidence in my ability to mark him and I think it's the same for us across the whole spectrum of the pitch.

"I mean, I'd back every one of our players against theirs, so we're going to be rocking up on the day and we're going to give it a right go."

Victory have won the last three derby games to establish the longest winning streak of either team in these clashes. They won 3-0 in the last regular-season clash of last season and 3-0 in a semi-final before the 3-2 win earlier this season. But Clisby is not fazed by that trend.

"Anything can happen on derby day," he said. "Things can so quickly change on the day for either team. They're great games to be a part of and I can't wait for this next one.

"We're just keeping our heads down at training and working towards playing how we know we can play. We know we're good enough to win the game, so bring on Saturday."

Clisby said that while confidence in their ability as individual players and belief in the ability of the team as a whole was something the City players all had, they did not stray into the area of over-confidence and weren't getting carried away by their three-game winning streak.

"It's definitely good to be a part of it, there's no better feeling than winning," he said. "The momentum we're building up now is very good for the boys and hopefully we can keep going in that direction.

"But we haven't won anything yet, so we're not getting ahead of ourselves. We've just got to stay focused and keep pushing forward and trying to get more wins. Our big aim is obviously to win things at the end of the season, there are no trophies on offer now.

"We're a humble bunch of guys, we know we've got to stay focused. We've been able to string some consistency together and that's what (club owners) the City Football Group have been pushing for us to do. We were getting a good result and then following it with a bad result.

"Now we're starting to get some solid wins together and a lot of goals scored as well and not too many conceded recently.

"Our key players are really stepping up this season. We've got the top goal-scorer in Bruno Fornaroli and everyone knows how good Aaron Mooy has been for us, so our big players are really making their mark.

"It's disappointing to lose (central defender) Connor Chapman for a while with a knee injury, but we've got a lot of depth in the squad and even with all the injuries we've had this season there's always someone to cover.

"I really feel for Connor because he was in really good form for us and was hoping to be in the Olyroos for some big games coming up there as well, but it could have been worse.

"He could have done an ACL and been out for the rest of the season, but he'll be back and we'll look forward to that." 

Saturday, 19 December 2015

Melbourne City FC v Melbourne Victory

AAMI Park, Melbourne

Kick-Off:  7:30 PM (Local) (7:30 PM (AEDT))

Referee:  Ben Williams

Melbourne City FC squad:  1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 3.Aaron HUGHES, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 6.Erik PAARTALU, 8.Aaron MOOY, 9.Harry NOVILLO, 10.Robi KOREN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Tando VELAPHI (gk), 21.Stefan MAUK, 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO (c), 25.Jacob MELLING, 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA, 36.Matt MILLAR

**two to be omitted**

Ins:  3.Aaron HUGHES (returns from injury), 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA (promoted), 36.Matt MILLAR (promoted)

Outs:  4.Connor CHAPMAN (knee – 2-3 months)

Unavailable:  7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee – season), 26.Marc MARINO (knee – 4-5 weeks)

4 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Saturday, 19 December 2015

Melbourne City FC v Melbourne Victory

AAMI Park, Melbourne

Kick-Off:  7:30 PM (Local) (7:30 PM (AEDT))

Referee:  Ben Williams

Melbourne City FC squad:  1.Thomas SORENSEN (gk), 3.Aaron HUGHES, 5.Ivan FRANJIC, 6.Erik PAARTALU, 8.Aaron MOOY, 9.Harry NOVILLO, 10.Robi KOREN, 15.David WILLIAMS, 18.Paulo RETRE, 19.Ben GARUCCIO, 20.Tando VELAPHI (gk), 21.Stefan MAUK, 22.Jack CLISBY, 23.Bruno FORNAROLI, 24.Patrick KISNORBO (c), 25.Jacob MELLING, 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA, 36.Matt MILLAR

**two to be omitted**

Ins:  3.Aaron HUGHES (returns from injury), 30.Hernan ESPINDOLA (promoted), 36.Matt MILLAR (promoted)

Outs:  4.Connor CHAPMAN (knee – 2-3 months)

Unavailable:  7.Corey GAMEIRO (knee – season), 26.Marc MARINO (knee – 4-5 weeks)

Assume Zullo has gone AWOL, or is part of the Germano centre?

5 minutes ago, [LIBBA] said:

Even my wife who is 28 weeks pregnant and having an iron infusion on the Friday (if you dont know what that is, the side effects can be fucked) and she is still determined to go on Saturday night. 

Come on bloke!!

It's probably too late to get cheap tickets now anyway.