Melbourne Football

Round 7 - Roar vs City Friday 20th November

Baka1

1 hour ago, hakz7 said:

Lol at Aloisi's comments post-game:

“It’s anti-football. We’re trying to grow the game in this country and they go and play anti-football like that, it’s disappointing,” Aloisi said.

“We’ve been going on about it for a while. Thomas has been copping fouls for a long time.

“It just destroys the good football we want to see.”

“I didn’t have the money that they’ve got to play a certain style of football. I didn’t have that money,” the Roar boss said of his time in charge at City.

“I’m not saying I haven’t (got good players) because I have got good players here (in Brisbane) and that’s why we play this style of football.

“Fornaroli, one of the best strikers in the league if not the best. Mooy, one of the best players in the league if not the best.

“That’s my question. You come here and you play football like that? To stop the game?”

says the master of 'kick the long ball to the midget'

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Tony999 said:

Watch where tonight? Where are you?

Manchester 

6 hours ago, tommac said:

Piss off JA- we had a completely makeshift back 4. His players are making him look good! Having said that- when Theo and  De Vere are fit and they have both Spaniards in midfield , they will have a darn good side. 

I would trade Sorenson ( and his visa spot) for Corona/Andreu any day of the week. 

Actually Sorensen ripped a great save maybe in the first minute or two. Had he not saved that good chance we would have capitulated.  Hughes and Koren are our wasted visa spots. Problem is we can't change that now. 

Really don't know why my posts get merged. Shit thing.

• Like 1

i think people are a little harsh on Sorenson. I'm sure our flaky back 4 appreciate his experience, steadiness and calm, precise ball distribution,  he is vocal barking instructions and has more than enough skills left in him for A league. 

On the other side of the coin. Look what he has to work with. Constantly expecting our back line to screw things up at any time and leave him vulnerable. Anxiety is his best friend 

8 hours ago, hakz7 said:

“It’s anti-football. We’re trying to grow the game in this country and they go and play anti-football like that, it’s disappointing,” Aloisi said.

“We’ve been going on about it for a while. Thomas has been copping fouls for a long time.

“I didn’t have the money that they’ve got to play a certain style of football. I didn’t have that money,” the Roar boss said of his time in charge at City.

“I’m not saying I haven’t (got good players) because I have got good players here (in Brisbane) and that’s why we play this style of football.

“Fornaroli, one of the best strikers in the league if not the best. Mooy, one of the best players in the league if not the best.

“That’s my question. You come here and you play football like that? To stop the game?”

What a fuckwit. Seriously. It's always about him, just like when he carried the whole socceroo team to a WC...

If growing the game is so important to him, then why not pull Broich aside and tell the muppet to stop diving everytime someone gets near him. Disgraceful  behaviour and the exact reason why Australians traditionally dislike soccer.

And playing style? Bahaha what a joke. His playing philosophy revolved entirely on 2 videos constantly on repeat: a/ His wonder penalty and b/ That Stoke v Sunderland game a few years back where the keeper scored a goal.

Fukn clown.

• Like 6

I reckon for how we have been travelling that was a pretty good point. Big positives for me is that Retre and Melling were successes, the form of Paartalu, Gamiero's  improved performance, Franjic back and Sorenson going stuff up free (& in fact saving our bacon with a class save in the 2min).

The disappointment is that we are still well behind where we should be with the squad we have. 

• Like 2

I didn't get carried away by the way we played but it certainly was an improvement on last week. There are still some players that need to improve their passing skills, which on several occasions allowed the Roar to escape punishment in front of goal . Jvs has not got a clue, for gods sake get rid !!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 hours ago, hakz7 said:

I seriously hope we supporters don't forget what he has said here. We need to give it to this muppet when they visit us.

• Like 1

Positives:

No Aloisi schadenfreude

Avoided another abject display, we were better than last week but that is damning the team with faint praise.

More shots and shots on target and balls into the box than Roar.

Sorensen saved our arse again.

Negatives:

Didn't capitalise on several great chances that should have won the game for us.

Balls into the box to nobody are a wasted opportunity

Too many turnovers especially first ball in attacking transition, either misplaced passes or poor first or second touch, often as a result of poor passes.

Chris Beath - card happy

Numb when we scored, couldn't even celebrate

Edited by belaguttman

Agree with whats already been said. Under the circumstances we didnt do as bad as i was expecting but still way off where we need to see. Melling was not too bad at cb but i wouldn't want to see him there every week. 

Feeling indifferent on a Saturday makes for a nice change from waking up wanting to punch holes in walls.

Edited by KSK_47

As for Aloisis comments, clearly he couldn't gloat because they beat us so he had to try and come up with another way to stick the boot in. Yes, Heart gave him a job in a role where he had no experience and didnt offer any help or budget which made him the poster child for everything wrong with this club so i understand why he would want to make us look like fools. I would too. But then again, he took the job so its as much his fault as it is ours.

12 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Treadline? 

My bad. I meant "trendline".

What absolute rubbish from Aloisi. He's clearly got a lot issues and bitterness towards our club, despite saying several times this week that the match against us "is just another game". That our makeshift defence of Millar, Melling, Clisby and co. could keep Maclaren (who was anonymous last night), Broich and Borrello shackled for the vast majority of last night's match in Brisbane shows that Aloisi's still got his coaching training wheels on.

There has been some, legitimate IMO, questions asked of Clisby, but his defending was very good last night. He showed some great intensity and commitment last night, and won the ball back with an impressive number of tackles, as was pointed out on Melbourne City's facebook page:

2s0oa55.jpg  

Also Retre was outstanding in his season-debut in midfield. Very very tidy in possession. 36 passes made at 94.4% passing accuracy (only 2 unsuccessful passes out of 36). 5 interceptions as well.

3460xsx.jpg

You can see why Retre's long been regarded as a promising midfielder (in particular as a deeper lying or central midfielder). Would gladly like to see more of him in midfield.

Final thoughts on the game: we had a number of good individual performances (from players in positions they didn't play last week, e.g. Retre, Clisby, Melling [2 interceptions and 4 successful tackles]), overall the team defending was organised and impressive (especially given that it was a new-look and makeshift defence), but apart from the first 25 minutes we didn't attack as a team especially well IMO. Maybe that's because 3 of our 4 attackers--Gameiro, Novillo, Mooy-- really didn't have the legs to play a full match. Maybe it was because this was the first time Gameiro, Fornaroli and Novillo have all started together. Whatever's the case, it's clear for our team to succeed our attack needs to fire, we need to create numerous chances and probably score more than 1 goal. So by next week no more allowances (not even fitness) can be given for Gameiro, Fornaroli, Novillo and Mooy--we need our first-choice attackers to fire and to all start increasing their respective goal tallies.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

Agree with whats already been said. Under the circumstances we didnt do as bad as i was expecting but still way off where we need to see. Melling was not too bad at cb but i wouldn't want to see him there every week. 

Feeling indifferent on a Saturday makes for a nice change from waking up wanting to punch holes in walls.

I give credit to JVS. Given that his first and second choice CB's were unavailable the only other option might have been Partallu and its debatable if that would have been any better a move.  Make no mistake he will rightly point to more than his share of injuries injuries and never having a full squad available.

And with a makeshift back four, 1-1 draw away to the league leaders, JVS will have gotten a stay of execution after this game.

• Like 1

@Murphy.  Clisby was better because he was played 100% as a defensive LB.  He offered zero going forward.  Which I don't mind- very few players can play both as wingers and defenders, which is the fashionable thing these days.  OTOH that does leave the real wingers isolated.  Novillo of often had little support and tried to beat 3 men on his own.   On the other side, Miller was supporting Gremio. 

On the topic of Gremio, I'm not at impressed: he can run, but has a poor touch and its all about him when he is within 50 meters of the goal.

I thought it was a decent performance from the team.

Our makeshift back four actually performed very well. In fact I thought Melling looked very comfortable in that position. He obviously needs to work on it as far as being aware overall, but he showed strength and pace in a good performance. I wouldn't be too unhappy to see him and Hughes together at some point. 

Also Retre gave a solid performance which was full of energy and some skill. I would like to see him used there more often. 

I also liked the look of Millar. He showed a good first touch, pace and defended against Broich well at times. Has to work on his game going forward, but would be a good back up to Franjic. You could see he was much more of a natural defender than Retre.

Clisby also played well, but he does have the habit of ball watching too much and had to recover when he allowed players to get goal side of him. He did recover well, but can make things easier for himself by reading the game better. He rarely got forward, which obviously didn't help Novillo, but he was there to defend and did that well.

Sorenson, Chapman and Paartalu all had solid games.

The disappointing thing was the front four. Mooy kept going, but the front 3 were all very ordinary on the day. I would really like to see Novilo used up front more and Bruno used from the flank. Harry has that height and pace to give defenders trouble and Bruno will always work hard, so wouldn't be out of place out wide, or playing a bit more narrow from the left.

Unfortunately Gameiro isn't doing it from a wide position. For me he needs to be on the bench and if brought on then played as a centre forward. Would rather have Garuccio, Zinni or Williams played in front of him from a wide position.

• Like 1

@silva10 Agree with every point except Gameiro.

It has to be remembered that Gameiro is just right now returning from a long term injury. He did his ACL on November 20th 2014, and yesterday against Brisbane is the first time he's played more than 45 minutes of football in 1 year. IMO Gameiro is clearly very rusty, in particular his touch and his decision-making are off, and altogether his performances are far below what Gameiro has shown earlier in his career. As Gameiro himself said earlier this week: "Just around now I'm starting to find my feet, and I still have a long way to go" and "It's frustrating to know where I was [last season] and what I was looking to achieve and how close I was to trying to break in with the Socceroos and things like that and now to come back down to reality and try and build all those steps to get back up there, and I have a lot of steps to go. I can't even see the top, that's how far I am".

Gameiro showed excellent form last season and was scoring goals freely, including a brace against West Ham United in pre-season, and generally displayed a solid all around game for a forward:

Anyway I'd back Gameiro to start again against Perth next Friday, as I reckon he's still a better option than Williams, Garuccio and Zinni. I believe his game will soon improve significantly, as he gets match fit, and he'll start to show his quality and his eye for goal, something I think the other named options lack. However, if Gameiro doesn't show much over the first 45 minutes against Perth, I'm all for pulling him off early in the second half or at half time and subbing on Williams, Kuzmanovski, Garuccio or Zinni.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Murfy1 said:

It has to be remembered that Gameiro is just right now returning from a long term injury. He did his ACL on November 20th 2014, and yesterday against Brisbane is the first time he's played more than 45 minutes of football in 1 year. IMO Gameiro is clearly very rusty, in particular his touch and his decision-making are off, and altogether his performances are far below what Gameiro has shown earlier in his career. As Gameiro himself said earlier this week: "Just around now I'm starting to find my feet, and I still have a long way to go" and "It's frustrating to know where I was [last season] and what I was looking to achieve and how close I was to trying to break in with the Socceroos and things like that and now to come back down to reality and try and build all those steps to get back up there, and I have a lot of steps to go. I can't even see the top, that's how far I am".

Not to mention he is now playing under JVS. Lots of players have come here showing promise and left looking like total trash, and while some of them might have done that anyway, at least some of them have been mismanaged. Gameiro has copped a lot of shit and yes he hasn't played well so far, but he is a good player. We just have to get the best out of him despite having a bad track record of not doing so.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Murfy1 said:

Gameiro showed excellent form last season and was scoring goals freely, including a brace against West Ham United in pre-season, and generally displayed a solid all around game for a forward:

Anyway I'd back Gameiro to start again against Perth next Friday, as I reckon he's still a better option than Williams, Garuccio and Zinni. I believe his game will soon improve significantly, as he gets match fit, and he'll start to show his quality and his eye for goal, something I think the other named options lack. However, if Gameiro doesn't show much over the first 45 minutes against Perth, I'm all for pulling him off early in the second half or at half time and subbing on Williams, Kuzmanovski, Garuccio or Zinni.

Well for me right now his promise and form prior to the ACL are not really evident. If he does need to find his feet and goal sense then the NYL is the place to do it. Play 90 minutes there for a couple of weeks and then promote him to the bench. Right now he risks becoming totally demoralised and a creeping lack of self confidence if he realises that he is not making progress fast enough to help the team. And right now Williams (with his work rate), Garuccio and Zinni are better options than Gameiro. As I said elsewhere he is fast becoming the next Kristian Sarkies - great potential, major injury, never regained form and now into the annals of history.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

Well for me right now his promise and form prior to the ACL are not really evident. If he does need to find his feet and goal sense then the NYL is the place to do it. Play 90 minutes there for a couple of weeks and then promote him to the bench. Right now he risks becoming totally demoralised and a creeping lack of self confidence if he realises that he is not making progress fast enough to help the team. And right now Williams (with his work rate), Garuccio and Zinni are better options than Gameiro. As I said elsewhere he is fast becoming the next Kristian Sarkies - great potential, major injury, never regained form and now into the annals of history.

Hang on a minute the bloke hasn't played a full game yet and you want him to go to the youth team.  To suggest he is a wasted talent with questionable work ethic and attitude is premature. 

The youth League unfortunately will do very little for Gamiero. He is a bona-fide starting 11 player he just needs 2 more 70 minutes runs. He has shown glimpses of quality but frankly is way off what's required. His only advantage is that Williams has shown less and Zinni has been removed from the scene for whatever reason. Then we have Garrucio and Kuzi.

So after 7 rounds none of Williams, Gamerio, Kuzi, Zinni and a lesser extent Garuccio have locked in a starting position alongside Novillo and Fornaroli. We need 1 of those to really improve as a starting option and another to be the bench impact player.

Frankly it looks like this shit will continue.

• Like 1

Aloisi's comments are pathetic and immature, in fact not really worth discussing ..... however ......

I watched the game with someone who does not understand football and their comment was "why does that guy (Broich) keep falling over and rolling around?

What I think is the real issue is that the referees need to come down hard on these "divers".  Broich is well recognised for it. I know it can be a difficult decision for the referees to make but that is what they are paid to do.  If they show willing, warn the teams beforehand and give a yellow and a free kick it will slow them up.

Also the sycophantic comments from the SBS commentators (particularly Craig Foster) during the game were just over the top. "What Aloisi has done with this team is extraordinary" "he has structured the team well" etc etc. Talk about mates.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, mjake1234 said:

Also the sycophantic comments from the SBS commentators (particularly Craig Foster) during the game were just over the top. "What Aloisi has done with this team is extraordinary" "he has structured the team well" etc etc. Talk about mates.

I didnt watch it on SBS so maybe there was more to it, but considering they're top of the league and he shares the record for longest stretch without a win, I would say thats a pretty fair comment

21 hours ago, KSK_47 said:

I didnt watch it on SBS so maybe there was more to it, but considering they're top of the league and he shares the record for longest stretch without a win, I would say thats a pretty fair comment

When you look at the names in midfield and the forwards there isn't a coach in the land who wouldn't want to coach that team. A drovers dog could make them look good going forward. (Ross's real work has been in defence.)

5 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

When you look at the names in midfield and the forwards there isn't a coach in the land who wouldn't want to coach that team. A drovers dog could make them look good going forward. (Ross's real work has been in defence.)

Well we all know that having a good squad doesnt always equal results. Seriously, considering all the shit that is going on at that club to have them top of the league and playing as well as they have been is commendable 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2015, 10:27:41, HEARTinator said:

We have 2 wins from 7 games so far. If JvS has a performance target to be in top 4 this year, then we need to finish with at least 12 wins or better. We have 20 games to go meaning that we have to win 10 games from here for a win ratio of 50%. Seems out of reach for Mr 30% but I could be wrong.

We need 14 wins (42 points) to ensure a top four finish. That means 12 more and only 20 matches to go. That's a win % of 60 from here - and that is virtually impossible based on our history.
The equation simply gets harder each week.

15 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

We need 14 wins (42 points) to ensure a top four finish. That means 12 more and only 20 matches to go. That's a win % of 60 from here - and that is virtually impossible based on our history.
The equation simply gets harder each week.

Which ever way you cut it, he's just about run out of time based on JvS's historical histerical trends. Can see #JVSOUT in January. No sauce tho' just the bleedin' obvious.