Melbourne Football

Round 7 - Roar vs City Friday 20th November

Baka1

I guess the question is who else in the match-day squad would you play at CB alongside Chapman. Certainly not Clisby, so who else is there?...

For what it's worth Millar is a fullback; it's his natural position. And a RB at that.

It's disappointing though that we don't have good depth at CB. We really only have 3 options: Kisnorbo, Hughes, Chapman. We should have a 4th option, and it's disappointing that we don't. Not even a young kid like Callum Richardson (who is still fully fit and training with the senior team) and Nick Symeoy (rated as a prospect last season), or any other kid, despite the success of our youth set-up (NYL) and so on. Really wish we the club focused more on strengthening the centre of defence, and our defence more broadly.

Retre hasn't impressed me in midfield, even though he's impressed me now and then at RB. Not sure where he's best in midfield or what type of midfielder he's supposed to be. I reckon the best midfield combination for us is 2 deep-lying no 6s (or DMs if you prefer) who just sit in front of the defence, with Mooy upfield as the lone no 10 (CAM). This midfield combo worked against Adelaide, so I'd like to see it again.

My ideal front 3--Novillo, Fornaroli, Gameiro--starting, so I'm keen to see how they go. I'm concerned that Novillo and Gameiro are physically underdone, and consequently the attack won't do much. There's the potential though for that forward-line to fire.

All up I just think there's a lack of respect for defending with our team, and as a former defender in my younger days I find it especially saddening. We don't have enough depth in central defence, and we have played nothing but makeshift players and kids at fullback for the first quarter of the season. Unfortunately there's little emphasis on playing the same back 4 and building a solid defensive unit. So I guess we'll see what happens when a team pays limited attention to its defence..