Melbourne Football

Grand final 2021, Sunday 27th June, AAMI Park, 5.05 pm

kingofhearts

This team is incredible, but the thing I love most is that they just understand the club and the fans. Obviously Cola is one of us, but so is Jamo, so is Nat, so is Tommy Glover. They all love this club as much as we do. 

12 months ago I sat on my lounge floor in tears, tonight I stood at AAMI Park and there again was a tear. But for comple different reasons. 11 years and we can finally say we are Champions 

• Thanks 1

The focus was immense.  Our 1st goal was through sheer drive. The lads and Jamo were not gonna let us lose.  Just awesome that he took and converted the penalty. 

When Galloway scored our 3rd thoroughly deserved team goal, I had a tear or two and could finally let it sink in. 

Amazing to dominate Sydney ...

We got the double,  JMac the Golden Boot,  PK coach of the season, we were directly responsible for putting the Tards to the bottom of the ladder, and did it playing some glorious football,  with some genuine Aussie talent. 

I do feel for JMac, Connor and Good, but hats off to the club, and the lads for adapting and getting us the trophy. 

Edited by Torn Asunder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Best team of the season and absolutely deserve the premiership/championship double! Amazing to think that we didn't have maclaren, good, metcalfe noone and only nabbout available to come off the bench. Most teams would be a shadow of their best when you take almost half of their starting 11 out. We have such a well drilled team and depth everywhere on the park.

Such an amazing night and absolutely worth travelling down to Melbourne to see!! Years of suffering, enjoy this moment city fans! 

Just wow. We've done it. I was happy with the premiership but tonight was something else.

3 call outs:

1. The maturity of the team to equalise minutes after going a goal down. With all the shit that's been said about us about being weak, that was unbelievable.

2. Jamo as captain stepping up and taking the pen to put us in front. WTF that was next level leadership and so deserving he got to place his hands first on the toilet seat 

3. Us. Through covid and the dread of perhaps not even hosting this game, we stepped up tonight. That atmosphere was insane and we played with 12 men tonight. What a journey for all of us and so beautiful we got to share that with our special Heart/City family.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

What a season, at both ends of the table, it just couldn't be any better.

Great game tonight, even when we went behind, I never doubted that we would win, what a change that is, even past year we would have cracked.

It was great to see our young players step up and we showed our depth that we were more than competitive without 5 starting 11 players.

Most of all, it was great to se us fill two levels of AAMI with our own fans, build a culture of success and Melbourne sports fans will come.

Well worth the 700km round trip today.

The only disappointment was Jamo's speech, he didn't thank octopus!

2 hours ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Shoutout to Erick Mombaerts. I sincerely think he helped turn this club around from the JVS and Joyce days 

Definitely, he gave the team a system of play that they could believe in

Edited by belaguttman

My first game in ages and what a result! I just thought it was a very professional performance, we are so much more accomplished on the ball, very few lost possessions, all those hard yards in the technical department have delivered an excellent result. Congratulations to all the boys at the club and those supporters who have stuck with the team.  The depth in the squad is excellent and the philosophy/mix the club have discovered should shine through for sustained success.

Just got home. Pissed when I am not allowed to be.

That first goal was a downer but after that it was all uppers. Don't know why the team stopped that let Sydney score but when Cola took them all on and crossed to Atkinson, that was when I knew that there was fire and steel in the team. After that it became a game of wits and focus. And City focused. That third goal was a beauty. A clean sword to the neck.

One thing that perplexed me was the bench. Basically no defenders nor mid-fielders. Academic now but it has left me wondering what plan B was if there was an injury at the back.

What a great performance. Fully deserved the win, and even better considering the players that were missing.

It was great to see so many fans in the stadium. it's been a shit year with covid, and not been able to go to games. It's taken a few years, but finally you have a team to be proud of, and I am sure they will be winning a few more trophies in the next few years.

Congratulation lads, and I am sure many of you are well pissed by now!!

• Like 2

The second half I was a little concerned. I felt Sydney would surely get at least one chance, but you can’t attack when you don’t have the ball. The little raids they did try were snuffed out in no time by Reis or Griffiths who were a couple of rocks at the back.
Really it was like we just rolled on from the MacArthur win.

I have to hand it everyone involved at the club, but especially the coach. 
PS off to work, going to be a dusty day.

Ok rewatch done here are my conclusions 

1. Cola run for first goal was actually unreal on second viewing 

2. Corica fucked the midfield balance Bobo and ALF wasn't working and Bratts being overwhelmed caused him to over do a couple of tackles 

3. Pen clear as day, Scottie J made it unsaveable power and precision

4. Probably should have scored the third way earlier 

5. Midfield of Flo, Luna and O'Neill was perfectly balanced. Flo decided this was his one blinder in 5 games. I have a lot of criticisms of him but he loves a big game

6. Galloway goal was a peach, the absolute lack of threat from Sydney meant he was able to come forward all night so was a matter of time before he banged one in 

7. Paddy K now has Y,W&A League grand final wins. I suspect this guy might actually be pretty good 

8. We fucking did it!!!!

• Like 5

Fuck what a feeling. I was consoling myself for weeks before yesterday with the idea that win/lose/draw, this Finals Series wasn't really that important because a) it was heavily compromised and b) Finals football is silly...

But after winning it, I realised that it means so much more. In our league it really does matter. So to do this and do it well, especially after the heartbreak of last year, and the fact that we did it given we'd lost our three best players because they were representing our country and Noone and Nabbout...it's pretty special.

We're a very good team and a strong club, with a lot of loyal fans who have put up with mediocrity for a long time, so I'm just as happy for us long suffering fans. The atmosphere was incredible.14K but it felt like the stadium was full. Hopefully we can achieve this, at some point in the future, most weeks. That's what football is about.

And we're not fucking done yet.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely glorious. This team just finds a way to win the games that count - let the dynasty damn well begin!! 

I've never been so wrong about a player in Scott Jamieson who goes down as a club legend after last night. What a remarkable redemption it's been all season, and what a game he played last night. Balls of steel when he took the ball over to the penalty spot is putting it right - what a man and what a fucking moment. 

Atkinson and Tilio were absolutely flawless, Colakovski's presence upfront and assist for the Akka goal was phenomenal, Florin played a blinder, Luna hassled like a madman, O'Neill was an iron wall, Galloway's forays forward gave them problems all night and both Nuno and Griff never looked like conceding after that Barbarouses goal. 

Literally everyone contributed to that sweet, sweet win and of course, Kisnorbo showed what he's made of in the end and definitely goes down a club legend as well. 

Bring on the next season already. It's gonna be a hell of an off-season 😍

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Nate said:

Absolutely glorious. This team just finds a way to win the games that count - let the dynasty damn well begin!! 

I've never been so wrong about a player in Scott Jamieson who goes down as a club legend after last night. What a remarkable redemption it's been all season, and what a game he played last night. Balls of steel when he took the ball over to the penalty spot is putting it right - what a man and what a fucking moment. 

Atkinson and Tilio were absolutely flawless, Colakovski's presence upfront and assist for the Akka goal was phenomenal, Florin played a blinder, Luna hassled like a madman, O'Neill was an iron wall, Galloway's forays forward gave them problems all night and both Nuno and Griff never looked like conceding after that Barbarouses goal. 

Literally everyone contributed to that sweet, sweet win and of course, Kisnorbo showed what he's made of in the end and definitely goes down a club legend as well. 

Bring on the next season already. It's gonna be a hell of an off-season 😍

A great match, one to savour for a long time and to cap off a great season. Didn't get to bed until 2.00 a.m. replaying the highlights over and over again, with a couple of glasses of red as accompaniment. Congratulations to everyone at the club. It was so good to see 14,017 fans turn out, plenty of City blue on show and the red not forgotten by us old-timers.

No doubt there will be one or two player movements announced, but with all the talent we have the future looks bright.

Thanks to you all for sticking around on the Forum. You've all helped each other through these difficult pandemic times. Stay tuned!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rass said:

Can't let the game go by without a special mention to Steve Corica...

What a fukn disgrace you weasel faced, entitled slimy rat fuk.

Just listened to his presser and how he reckons the home town reffing won it for us. And how 'Bratsy didn't deserve red and how it wasn't a pen.

How about showing some class and respect you greasy whiney Muscat wannabe. Seriously. 

Anyone with half an eye could see we instantly took control after Atkinson's goal and Brattan's second yellow was just the first nail in the coffin. Really, he should have had about 3 yellows before that. And Caceres being the useless fuk he is, just let Luna get in front of him before clearly stepping on both his calf and foot. Ratface even had the nerve to say that Baumjofuks award winning dive in the second half was the same as our pen. Huh?

Anyway, that's about as diplomatic as I can be. So proud of us boys.

Yeah, his whole attitude was poor. We took control of the match right from the KO, and could easily have scored in the first few minutes. As for accusing Chris Beath of reffing in City's favour - well, Beathy hasn't exactly been our favourite referee for as long as I can remember!

Brattan was just stupid. And there was another Sydney player who could well have gone into the book at least for chestfronting Beath in the "discussion" before Brattan left the field.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rass said:

Can't let the game go by without a special mention to Steve Corica...

What a fukn disgrace you weasel faced, entitled slimy rat fuk.

Just listened to his presser and how he reckons the home town reffing won it for us. And how 'Bratsy didn't deserve red and how it wasn't a pen.

How about showing some class and respect you greasy whiney Muscat wannabe. Seriously. 

Anyone with half an eye could see we instantly took control after Atkinson's goal and Brattan's second yellow was just the first nail in the coffin. Really, he should have had about 3 yellows before that. And Caceres being the useless fuk he is, just let Luna get in front of him before clearly stepping on both his calf and foot. Ratface even had the nerve to say that Baumjofuks award winning dive in the second half was the same as our pen. Huh?

Anyway, that's about as diplomatic as I can be. So proud of us boys.

Old beady eyes is always gracious in defeat. Sad little man. Don’t expect him to be happy or overly generous to us but show some class. We deserved it fair and square.

I must say, and I didn’t actually notice it at the match because I couldn’t see it from that distance and didn’t get a replay, but Jamieson was actually protesting Brattan’s sending off. Pretty interesting I thought.

42 minutes ago, Harrison said:

Old beady eyes is always gracious in defeat. Sad little man. Don’t expect him to be happy or overly generous to us but show some class. We deserved it fair and square.

I must say, and I didn’t actually notice it at the match because I couldn’t see it from that distance and didn’t get a replay, but Jamieson was actually protesting Brattan’s sending off. Pretty interesting I thought.

Yeah not sure. Both Jamo and Atkinson were consoling him. Jamo especially knows him well so a bit of sympathy perhaps.

Thing is, he was so mentally on edge Brattan, that if he didn't get a yellow then, he would've got one later anyway. He was a loose cannon. The equaliser must've come as a real body blow to him. He was the only one around his useless entitled team mates that was actually trying to get them back in the game. I think the pressure and responsibility of that just got to him.

1 hour ago, Harrison said:

I thought it was more telling our players to calm down and let it happen ? 
The ref looked like he was giving him the 2nd yellow straight away. 

both of Brattan's yellows were there.  if anything, the first yellow could have been red - he was more than happy to flatten O'Neill.

with the way Sydney pressed up until the red, they were always going to drop deep second half due to fatigue - they had to get up early and hold on the lead.  the red exacerbated the drop off, and gave Corica something to bitch about / blame (as opposed to be out matched).

our front three were fantastic, and really played to the occasion.  Bereguer was great in the middle, just fucking wish he did that week in week out.  Reis and Griffiths bossed the back, as did Luna and O'Neill in the middle.  Glover did what he had to, and was beaten by a good goal.  Jamo and Galloway were soooo good getting forward - and how great was all the switching and interplay!!!!  Awesome to see Nabbout come on too.

absolutely wrapped.