Melbourne Football

Grand final 2021 (off the pitch thread)

citypool

Hello,

can we have a topic to discuss the off field involvement in the grand final?

it’s a big week with a lot of news on if we’re hosting the final and then how many tickets there will be.

fingers crossed everyone 

Edited by citypool

2 minutes ago, The Aardvark said:

Has there been any indication thus far as to when a call will be made and when tickets might go on sale? 

All we've heard is that there will be discussions with the Vic Government but nothing as to when the deadline is or anything like that. 

Greg O’Rourke said on Foxtel last night we’ll find out tomorrow where the match will be played. So I assume tickets will go on sale Wednesday but I made this thread so we can al keep each other in the loop 

1 hour ago, The Aardvark said:

Has there been any indication thus far as to when a call will be made and when tickets might go on sale? 

All we've heard is that there will be discussions with the Vic Government but nothing as to when the deadline is or anything like that. 

O'Rourke said Tuesday. But then also said that for the SF APL did not have a final decision until the Wednesday. He also said something about AFL crowds being restricted to 30% of stadium capacity. If applied to AAMI that would be about 9,500.

The ABC Ronablog today reported that Merlino would not give a direct answer to a question about when would lockdowns cease in Victoria - in reference to what % of the population would need to be vaccinated before VicGov would not use lockdowns as a control measure.

I don't trust APL, but I think that the real problem here is VicGov/MOPT and the Public Events Framework or whatever it's called. Financially you can't really blame APL if they choose BankWest Stadium.

Edited by jw1739

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

O'Rourke said Tuesday. But then also said that for the SF APL did not have a final decision until the Wednesday. He also said something about AFL crowds being restricted to 30% of stadium capacity. If applied to AAMI that would be about 9,500.

The ABC Ronablog today reported that Merlino would not give a direct answer to a question about when would lockdowns cease in Victoria - in reference to what % of the population would need to be vaccinated before VicGov would not use lockdowns as a control measure.

I don't rust APL, but I think that the real problem here is VicGov/MOPT and the Public Events Framework or whatever it's called. Financially you can't really blame APL if they choose BankWest Stadium.

Da faq??

This is a government now obsessed with power. In  the 30 years that I have lived in my present home, the school oval has always been a convenient short-cut between the edge of the housing to one of the main roads - indeed there is a marked footpath on the other side of the oval leading to the road. Today I note a sign authorised by the School Principal that non-school persons are not allowed on the  oval for any reason between the hours of 9.00 a.m. top 5.00 p.m. unless they first sign in at the school office.

See https://www2.education.vic.gov.au/pal/trespass/policy

FMD, what have we come to? "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

This is a government now obsessed with power. In  the 30 years that I have lived in my present home, the school oval has always been a convenient short-cut between the edge of the housing to one of the main roads - indeed there is a marked footpath on the other side of the oval leading to the road. Today I note a sign authorised by the School Principal that non-school persons are not allowed on the  oval for any reason between the hours of 9.00 a.m. top 5.00 p.m. unless they first sign in at the school office.

See https://www2.education.vic.gov.au/pal/trespass/policy

FMD, what have we come to? "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Actually this is a response across teh state as there was a report a few months ago that there was an attempted abduction and in some places drug pushers were entering the school grounds. Hence the need for a demarcation point. Having said that, there were certainly drug pushers when I was in high school. I suspect it has more to do with insurance more than anything else.

• Thanks 1

From "The Age."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/soccer/the-a-league-s-1-million-question-melbourne-or-sydney-for-the-grand-final-20210621-p582vu.html

Ah, now we start to get to the bottom of it...

"This is the first season that A-League clubs have been able to keep the profit from finals matches, which used to boost Football Australia’s coffers annually before the competition went independent on December 31. The money would help pay for the APL’s increasing administration costs after a staff hiring spree in recent months, while each of the 12 clubs would also receive a slice."

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

The best way to avoid future lockdowns is to remove the Vic government. Secondly the vaccines don't stop transmission or you becoming infected and even then they 'may' reduce 'severity' of the virus. Let alone the numerous reports of adverse reactions that people have had and it sickens me that the government keep coercing people into getting the jab

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

The best way to avoid future lockdowns is to remove the Vic government. Secondly the vaccines don't stop transmission or you becoming infected and even then they 'may' reduce 'severity' of the virus. Let alone the numerous reports of adverse reactions that people have had and it sickens me that the government keep coercing people into getting the jab

My understanding is that both the vaccines presently being used in Australia offer very high protection against an infected person suffering serious illness or death. As such they therefore protect our health services from breaking down under a high number of cases requiring hospitalization. Milder illness means less viral load in an infected person, and therefore lower transmission to others.

What alternatives are there to inoculation? Without it you progress to more and more cases, an ever-increasing viral load and therefore an increase in the number of mutations and the rate at which they occur.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Seriously, i don't have much spare time these days. So when i jump onto this forum, i want to read about Melbourne City 

The last thing i want to hear is your continued dribble on this. So for fucks sake, give it a rest.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, rass said:

Seriously, i don't have much spare time these days. So when i jump onto this forum, i want to read about Melbourne City 

The last thing i want to hear is your continued dribble on this. So for fucks sake, give it a rest.

I think I'm the guilty party here. I let it go because it is really the decision-making factor in terms of venue for the GF. Otherwise, yes, the topic is covered in The Club Room.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Amen to that.

26 minutes ago, Tommykins said:

Sydney having 10 cases today might scupper the whole thing - Sydney or Melbourne might not be  able to have crowds at this rate.

Obvious solution then. Make the decision to host it in Melbourne and arrange to get the Sydney players down here asap before they shut the borders to NSW peeps.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, rass said:

Obvious solution then. Make the decision to host it in Melbourne and arrange to get the Sydney players down here asap before they shut the borders to NSW peeps.

Yes. What is the matter with administrators in Australian football? Make a fucking decision and live with it. AAMI Park, and if necessary, Melbourne City members only. Everyone traceable, integrity of match preserved.

Learn from the experience. Next time have a fucking Plan B.

15 minutes ago, icantthinkofacoolname said:

Why have they moved it from Saturday night? I don't think I'd be able to make it on Sunday, I'd planned everything around going on Saturday :( 

Bloody hell sorry for you mate I dunno why they moved it 

48 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

50% ticked off for the A-League GF, while AFL got knocked back. 

Much smaller crowds involved. 30% at the MCG is still twice the people to track and trace compared to 50% at AAMI. That'll be the logic folks. It's all about managing risk.

8 minutes ago, rass said:

Makes perfect sense to me. Just waiting for the reaction from the victory, i mean carlton, fans who think their irrelevant 12th v 14th 'blockbuster' clash is somehow more important than a national grand final.

Happy I deleted social media the reaction will be crazy 

16 minutes ago, rass said:

Makes perfect sense to me. Just waiting for the reaction from the victory, i mean carlton, fans who think their irrelevant 12th v 14th 'blockbuster' clash is somehow more important than a national grand final.

As a Carlton fan I will not be wanting to attend any games in the near future 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Much smaller crowds involved. 30% at the MCG is still twice the people to track and trace compared to 50% at AAMI. That'll be the logic folks. It's all about managing risk.

Obviously good enough for the AFL, who are sending Syd teams to, of all places, Melbourne. Who would have thought. 

• jw1739 locked this topic