Melbourne Football

Heart of Melbourne FC- a proposed supporters club

True Until I die

Falastur why does it have to be one or the other? I hope and believe that football clubs can be many things to many people. Whether you're a religious fan who never misses a game and has the training dates in your calendar, to the family experience where you bring your family in from all sides of town to meet up over a game, to active support preferring to sing than watch, to the occasional, fair-weather fan who comes to watch a win. It all means different things to each individual. 

I'm certain some of us oppose the change of ownership more than others. All of this is A-OK to me. 

I think this new club would be vehemently and actively opposing CFG to some, and to others it would be a friendly memory and unrelated team. I don't think a club should stand for one thing alone. 

Its like music you know. Why is my preference of 90's Rock and the Blues more important than the 11 year old girl's who loves Katy Perry? 

I would think that this new club would and could be a lot of different things to a lot of different people. Well, I hope so anyway. 

• Like 2

I do think its important to establish a clear reason for the clubs existence initially to be honest. If some of the people running the club had an "anti-City" mentality and others were only there as a way to remember/honor the Heart days (which is what it would be to me) then I can see things becoming very problematic before its even gotten off the ground. 

Regardless of how I feel though, my biggest concern is that I am not sure there are enough people who give that much of a shit about Heart to do the work required to make this happen. As Tesla pointed out earlier, this forum has a bit of a history of people saying "we should do X, Y and Z" but they're not really wanting to actually contribute anything towards making it happen. If this club were to become anything beyond a local pub side, the money and work required would be like taking on a full time job that charges you money rather than pays you.

And even if it does become established, how would the club grow? Unless you felt very strongly about Heart, you wouldnt get involved really would you? And as I said before, I am not sure there are enough of us to make an impact. You may actually be better off trying to use the club as a sort of bridge to mend the damaged relationship between old fans and city. It would have more chance of surviving if you were not "anti-city", if you know what I mean

Edited by KSK_47
  • Like 2

My only comments on this, and then I will butt out, are broadly along KSK's lines. The topic initially had me thinking that despite the actual proposed name you were intending to try and form a "Supporters Club" for Melbourne City, and chose or suggested the name "Heart of Melbourne" to visibly maintain the link to the club in its original format, and then run a bit of a team of likely lads out of that. 

Vaguely along the lines of Red and White Unite, Yarraside and now Melburnians, but with the addition of a team, and more formalised.

Reading further as people chime in I gain the clear impression that the proposal has an "anti-City/CFG" flavour. I just can't see anything running on that basis to be sustainable. Using examples from the U.K. is not relevant to the local situation, where football does not have the same traction and Melbourne Heart even less so. I don't really get this nostalgia for Melbourne Heart TBH. Yes, I preferred the colours too, but plenty of people didn't like the name "Heart", and the club wasn't successful on any measure. And in reality what we call a "club" is just a franchise and licence to field a team in the A-League. Ownership could change again tomorrow (it won't, but it could) and if the new owners were Chinese then the colours would be back to red as quickly as possible. Names, owners and colours - Newcastle have changed their name at least once, and their owners and colours on a regular basis and they're still going.

But on to the practicalities. KSK's comment 'If this club were to become anything beyond a local pub side, the money and work required would be like taking on a full time job that charges you money rather than pays you' is absolutely correct. Although I have not been involved with a football club/team for a fair few years, I have held a few different volunteer roles in various organizations in the past few years. Once you demonstrate that you can handle the role, more and more gets directed towards you - and that's just the "doing." The administration that sits behind the "doing" is unbelievable once the organization gets to the point of having to be incorporated, has liabilities, requires insurance, has to keep accounts, purchase equipment, maintain equipment, communicate with the members etc. etc., - the workload just snowballs until it consumes you. And the worst-case scenario is having to deal with a dissident member or members - and believe me, one will emerge sooner or later. Our Evertonian friend has been very fortunate to have had a couple of stalwart mates beside him in what he has done - in my experience that's pretty rare.

Good luck if you decide to go ahead.

Edited by jw1739

Thanks for your answers.  

I get what you're saying and I entirely expected that this club would play in red and white and not be tied to CFG. My point, though, was to ask "do you intend for this club to be spoken about as a symbol of fan disenfranchisement with CFG, or just as a friendly hark back to the old days?" If people join up with the movement and attend games or even play, does it mark them as an opponent of the regime or just a guy who likes red and white?

I can understand what you're asking here Falastur.

Definitely agree with what morphine wrote, but also I think it was pretty obvious from the OP opening lines that this has come from a CFG disenfranchisement. With that in mind, KSK has summed it up perfectly for mine.

In the end though, it's up to the individual to choose whether they want to be a part of it or not and if they agree strongly enough to participate, then good luck.

• Like 2

• 11 months later...

Being raised on English non-league football I actually think it's a very good idea, but like all these things if it is to be sustainable it requires a small band of dedicated people to drive it. At one stage in the Sidwell years there was a survey on members possibly taking a minor shareholding in the club, but nothing ever transpired so my guess is that the level of interest was insufficient, and that might be an indicator of the level of interest in a Supporters' Club.