Melbourne Football

Sunday 20th June, 4:05KO, Semi final vs Bulls.

kingofhearts

1 hour ago, Nate said:

No crowd confirmed.

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/no-crowd-allowed-aami-park-sundays-semi-final

You could see this coming as soon as AFL moved its fixtures to Tasmania. We just don't have the lobbying power. Brothels and ski resorts clearly do.

I hope that APL are going to work something out for next season. The pictures I've seen from places such as Wembley show people sitting in small discrete groups throughout the stadium with distance between groups in all directions - very disciplined. With our regular league crowds we ought to be able to do the same. 

I reckon this SF will be moved to NSW now.

Edited by jw1739

I've been supportive of our state's lockdowns for the most part but jeez, it's all starting to feel like overkill. It's the double standards that are so demoralising. Far better chance of successfully social distancing at a 25% AAMI than a Chadstone free-for-all. So, so disappointing. The GF looks increasingly unlikely too.

It's a rough life being a City fan.

1 minute ago, Nate said:

I've been supportive of our state's lockdowns for the most part but jeez, it's all starting to feel like overkill. It's the double standards that are so demoralising. Far better chance of successfully social distancing at a 25% AAMI than a Chadstone free-for-all. So, so disappointing. The GF looks increasingly unlikely too.

It's a rough life being a City fan.

Couldn't agree more. Total overkill now. Carpet-bombing. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

My immediate reaction is just to want to pull the plug on the whole season. Enough already. The Finals are so chaotic and devalued that I can't be arsed any more. It's just contract fulfilment. 

Tend to agree. The loss of three of our best players rendered the Finals Series almost meaningless, regardless of any other team. I wish they did away with them completely but I get the commercial realities here. The whole thing is disappointing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

https://www.melbournecityfc.com.au/news/no-crowd-allowed-aami-park-sundays-semi-final

You could see this coming as soon as AFL moved its fixtures to Tasmania. We just don't have the lobbying power. Brothels and ski resorts clearly do.

I hope that APL are going to work something out for next season. The pictures I've seen from places such as Wembley show people sitting in small discrete groups throughout the stadium with distance between groups in all directions - very disciplined. With our regular league crowds we ought to be able to do the same. 

I reckon this SF will be moved to NSW now.

Has been official confirmation that the SF has been moved to NSW.

Surely the GF is gonna be moved too if we win on Sunday.

4 minutes ago, citypool said:

I know it’s frustrating but I’m actually impressed with the club’s response they are gonna pick a venue all the members can watch the match at and give free tickets to the people going to the match.

let’s get behind the team 

Agreed no criticism of the club, but bugger me it was always going to be moved to NSW wasn't it? Concrete boots right enough. Clearly the APL or whatever they call themselves always favour NSW and NSW teams. We've been stitched up like a kipper, just like we always expected. Fuck them all frankly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FFC1996 said:

So they consider it “neutral venue”, when we are playing a Syd team.

Hmmmm playing a Sydney team in Sydney in a neutral venue, something isn’t right with that. Adelaide, Canberra or Brisbane are neutral venues.

In some ways this could be to our advantage. We're compromised by having three of our top three players on NT duty, injuries to at least two more, and other than local pride there's nothing riding on the "finals" in terms of ACL participation. Now they have to forego home ground and crowd advantage. The boys can play with freedom. Already Premiers we just go out and give it all we've got.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Why couldn't we play in regional Victoria. Government decision or apl? 

Would have been regional fans only (great for me as I live in Geelong) but would have been only a few hundred of us there. I guess it all comes down to money, rather than what is fair, decent or honest. And besides it wouldn't have helped the NSW teams.

4 hours ago, CityWildcat said:

We won the league.  End of story. 

I am disappointed about Sunday, but the feeling of modest despair is very well balanced by my loathing of ANY ''finals'' series in football.  Leave that BS to Australia's other codes.

We ARE the 2021 champions

We won the regular season championship.

The champions are those that win the last game of the season.

If it wasn't important, why would they play it? Not having a go at you directly, just sick of reading the same comment "we won the regular season that's all that matters". I want to win the final trophy on offer this season!!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, kingofhearts said:

We won the regular season championship.

The champions are those that win the last game of the season.

If it wasn't important, why would they play it? Not having a go at you directly, just sick of reading the same comment "we won the regular season that's all that matters". I want to win the final trophy on offer this season!!!

Nope, the Finals only matters if we win it, otherwise it was a mickey-mouse series devalued by the Socceroos selection of key players for nealy all participating teams, of which we suffered the worst and conequentially it should voided and just awarded to us.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Would have been regional fans only (great for me as I live in Geelong) but would have been only a few hundred of us there. I guess it all comes down to money, rather than what is fair, decent or honest. And besides it wouldn't have helped the NSW teams.

Why regional fans only? Travel is permitted between metro and regional now. 

53 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Why regional fans only? Travel is permitted between metro and regional now. 

You would indeed think so, but the problem must be - as I have only just discovered - that the match is defined as (or has been defined as) a "public event," and is therefore subject to the "Public Events Framework." See https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/public-events. So  it's not as simple as just travelling from Melbourne into "the regions" or vice versa. I haven't read it all, but presumably the decision makers can decide what they fucking well like. So AFL can go ahead in Geelong but with a maximum crowd and no city slickers, and wogball in Melbourne can't go ahead at all.

So basically you can travel where you want but you can't necessarily do what you want when you get there...

10 hours ago, Tommykins said:

Perhaps I'm reading this incorrectly, but surely the plan is I'll fly up Sunday morning, having not been to a hot spot, using the NSW declaration form and just fly back Monday morning?

Or am I missing something in the current restrictions between NSW and VIC.

I think this would work.
Not for me though, as I have a trip to Queensland planned and there is still a faint chance they will let me in if I don’t go near Sydney. 

Our state governments at work.

By the way we could also all travel to New Zealand and attend whatever we liked there.

Moving this match to Sydney is possibly worse than holding it here from a COV-19 risk perspective. Moving it is purely a money-grabbing exercise  - and not much money at that - by APL.

Sydney has just been declared an "Orange Zone" by Victoria so there are rules to follow when you return.

Our Premiership looks more and more valuable every passing day.