Melbourne Football

City v. Jets, moved to 10 Jun, Kogarah Oval, Sydney, 7.05 p.m.

mattyh001

18 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Is Nabbout suddenly going to score then, 80% of his shots have landed in row Z. I’m hesitant that this is our solution to goals.

Nabbout is our solution to goals not because he scores goals, but because he constantly demands the attention of more than one defender. This of course takes significant pressure off the other forward players who than may find themselves free or with space to move into.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, malloy said:

Nabbout is our solution to goals not because he scores goals, but because he constantly demands the attention of more than one defender. This of course takes significant pressure off the other forward players who than may find themselves free or with space to move into.

I get it, hat trick for Berenguer then? 

15 minutes ago, malloy said:

Tillio... Berenguer is still a flop.

Tilio is very much like Nabbout. He's everywhere, quick on the ball, twisting and turning and they don't know how to handle him. We just need someone to convert the chances. JMac was doing that, but he's not there and in any case had just lost his "edge" in recent matches. Berenguer isn't sharp enough to do it. Cola is, but he'll probably be on the right, so perhaps Tsubaki? 

2 hours ago, Mr MO said:

Is Nabbout suddenly going to score then, 80% of his shots have landed in row Z. I’m hesitant that this is our solution to goals.

Nabbout went to the 2018 World Cup as our starting striker. He is the clear best option with no Maclaren. 

Tilio isn't a striker, neither is Tsubaki and even though Cola has been training there we have never seen him do it for any meaningful minutes in a game. 

Nabbout is the one that makes most sense to move there, and use our youth out wide 

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

It's losing me. The whole bloody thing. Whatever code you follow, many live outside a 25km radius of the ground. The people making these decisions aren't living in the real world and they can't think straight.

Simple. Just don't comply with the 25km limit 😎

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Tilio is very much like Nabbout. He's everywhere, quick on the ball, twisting and turning and they don't know how to handle him. We just need someone to convert the chances. JMac was doing that, but he's not there and in any case had just lost his "edge" in recent matches. Berenguer isn't sharp enough to do it. Cola is, but he'll probably be on the right, so perhaps Tsubaki? 

Whilst, my response above was largely tongue in cheek, if Tillio plays as a false 9 with Nabbout on the wing, I would back Tillio in to score with that little bit of extra space afforded by having Nabbout on the pitch. With that being said, I would think that if Nabbout is on the pitch, he will be playing as the central forward.

I also wouldn't mind seeing Caputo on the bench again, I was quite impressed with what he showed in the small amount of game time he got last game.

Edited by malloy
  • Like 1

I disagree that Tilio and Nabbout are overly similar players. Tilio is closer in style, at least in attacking sense, to Arzani imo whereas Nabbout, whilst still competent in the trickery and dribbling stakes, is a far more powerful player and is wayyyy more likely to score outside the box.

Im far more comfortable with Tilio at 9 than Tsubaki on their respective showings, did he play there a bit at Sydney in the youth?

Nabbout central prob still my preference all things being equal but i could certainly go with noone and nabbout on the wings with Tilio and Cola providing the central point

Well we have named our squad so that can't be changed. 

I was disappointed that more youth weren't promoted and our better players rested.

With a wooden spoon the outcome for Victory if Newcastle wins or draws I favour Nabbout pulling on the gloves as goalkeeper for this match and playing Glover as our number 9.

Call it an experimental formation.

Edited by TheStig
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheStig said:

Well we have named our squad so that can't be changed. 

I was disappointed that more youth weren't promoted and our better players rested.

With a wooden spoon the outcome for Victory if Newcastle wins or draws I favour Nabbout pulling on the gloves as goalkeeper for this match and playing Glover as our number 9.

Call it an experimental formation.

Given our recent slump in form we really only have one game to build momentum.

I think when we were on our good run of form some teams put up resistence, but once we had scored it felt like they gave up and allowed the inevitable to happen (see 2nd derby). Where as now, teams can see that we are far from unbeatable, but we need to take this match as an opportunity to show we are still a force to be reckoned with.

As dissapointing as drawing against MV and allowing them to move off the bottom of the ladder, we should not even entertain the notion of fielding a weaker team to allow Newcastle to get anything from this game.

Our focus should always be on us, and winning. Caring more about where Victory finish, than us winning a game hints at us having a chip on our shoulder. If we are to genuinely be A-league heavy hitters every season, then a winning mentality must be instilled for every game and each spot in the team must be earned and we definitely shouldn't be concerned about the clubs fighting it out to avoid finishing last.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, malloy said:

I think when we were on our good run of form some teams put up resistence, but once we had scored it felt like they gave up and allowed the inevitable to happen (see 2nd derby). Where as now, teams can see that we are far from unbeatable, but we need to take this match as an opportunity to show we are still a force to be reckoned with.

As dissapointing as drawing against MV and allowing them to move off the bottom of the ladder, we should not even entertain the notion of fielding a weaker team to allow Newcastle to get anything from this game.

Our focus should always be on us, and winning. Caring more about where Victory finish, than us winning a game hints at us having a chip on our shoulder. If we are to genuinely be A-league heavy hitters every season, then a winning mentality must be instilled for every game and each spot in the team must be earned and we definitely shouldn't be concerned about the clubs fighting it out to avoid finishing last.

Two words. Adrian Zahra.

Never Forget.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, malloy said:

100%

19 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

And yes if we are to threaten for the dunny seat we need to get momentum back.

Frankly we need to win this match.

I still think we are we poised, but if anyone hasn't noticed Sydney have won their last 5 in a row scoring 9 and conceding 1. 

So form is everything especially in 1 off games

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

And yes if we are to threaten for the dunny seat we need to get momentum back.

Frankly we need to win this match.

Definitely we have to regain momentum. Our past three matches have yielded just two points, and the goals aren't coming easily.

Need to win. We haven't looked like we've clicked since before we won the plate (the CCM game was not to the same level as most of our season). A 3-1 wi or something like that where we look to get some synergy in attack back would be great. 

Yes that will mean Victory don't finish last, but that's our own fault. We had our chance to finish the job last week and fluffed it, it's our one blemish on the season thus far. Anything other than a win this week would be a huge disappointment. 

• Like 2

Just now, jw1739 said:

I'm a bit tired of people concerning themselves with Melbourne Victory. Who cares where they finish or what they are doing, or even the size of their supporter base - unless what they do is bringing the league or Australian football into disrepute. What matters is us. We are in the finals and we need the best preparation that we can get.

This, those losers live rent free in way too many City heads.

I love beating them, i love seeing them lose, but they are way down the priority standings when it comes to watching our own team and securing our own results.

• Like 6

great work from Colakovski. might be another option than Nabbout

my take on Nabbout is that he will get 45 minutes to put some time into the legs. if he starts to feel tight he can be brought off earlier - would be a little annoying but better than risking him at the end / wasting a sub (to bring him off only after subbing Nabbout on earlier in the game)

concerning about Griffiths