Melbourne Football

City v. Jets, moved to 10 Jun, Kogarah Oval, Sydney, 7.05 p.m.

mattyh001

2 hours ago, jw1739 said:

We used to play with an ice-cube in the aisle between benches in the Chem. Lab. at school. They could do that in a plane circling Albury/Wodonga airfield. That's about half-way between here and Newcastle. Neutral territory.

Wouldn't take long. From memory the ice-cube melted fairly quickly and always before we could get caught by the Chemistry teacher.

We used to play a game with a scotch finger biscuit, best finish here.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Centrehalf said:

Seriously worried about when this game is going to be played. It doesnt look great

I don’t think we should forfeit because it’s an opportunity to give youngsters a crack.

Play it next Wednesday or Thursday ahead of finals but give Newcastle the home game and give kids like Stokes, Rodrigues, Sutton etc. more minutes imo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Deluka said:

I don’t think we should forfeit because it’s an opportunity to give youngsters a crack.

Play it next Wednesday or Thursday ahead of finals but give Newcastle the home game and give kids like Stokes, Rodrigues, Sutton etc. more minutes imo

Play it in Sydney FFS. "Neutral" for both clubs. TBH I don't know why APL is stuffing around on this one match. We haven't got three of our starting players anyway, so we're going to play a weakened team.  I suppose we could play Newcastle after the finals, but what an anti-climax that would be.

Just now, Deluka said:

I’ve changed my mind on this one, think we need to play the team we intend to play in finals.

Half our squad haven’t played since May 22 so another week off would probably do us a disservice 

With the finals being pushed back a week id suggest we'll play full strength from here on in, although anyone with a slight niggle is likely to be given the time if they need it.
hopefully the extra week gives Nabbout and Natty every chance now.

12 minutes ago, bt50 said:

With the finals being pushed back a week id suggest we'll play full strength from here on in, although anyone with a slight niggle is likely to be given the time if they need it.
hopefully the extra week gives Nabbout and Natty every chance now.

Was there a video of Natty participating in full training floating around?

If so, surely he isn't too far off?

35 minutes ago, malloy said:

Was there a video of Natty participating in full training floating around?

If so, surely he isn't too far off?

Happened on April 5 so thats now 8-9 weeks. Might even be a sneaky chance on Sunday.

Nabbout's was May 13, so thats now three weeks. Its usually 3-6 weeks so worst case youd think he may get up for GF but, potentially best case, assuming a slightly cautious approach, he's running around for the Newcastle game

the teams in the middle of the table have been so close the last few weeks its more of a crab shoot than anything else.  you don't know who is going to turn up in terms of whose in form and who is not (and even then those teams seem to misfire every other game anyway)

the bigger concern is that JMac has scored half our goals and we lack a solid back up number 9.

Edited by mattyh001

5 minutes ago, mattyh001 said:

Commentary on Fox during the Derby says the Jets game is slated for this coming Friday 

My guess is it'll either be at AAMI without a crowd (it's the day after the lockdown is due to end, so no time to organise attendance even if it's allowed) or in NSW.

35 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

My guess is it'll either be at AAMI without a crowd (it's the day after the lockdown is due to end, so no time to organise attendance even if it's allowed) or in NSW.

Sure? We'll know about the lockdown no later than Thursday. I think it's unlikely that spectators will be allowed, but if the lockdown ends then an EMail/text to ticket holders to say their ticket is valid for the match on Friday, no other tickets available, would allow people to attend if they wish to. I'd say the question is more is it worth opening the ground, because I doubt too many will wish to risk it. I certainly won't. In fact I think my next match will be next season (if there is one). It's impossible to predict.

I don't think we can go in with a complete kids team. We work out what each player needs. I'd say something like this 

Needs 90 - Garuccio, Gomulka, Tsubaki, Colacovski, Glover 

Needs 45-60 - Noone, Berenguer

Needs 0 - Griffiths, Luna, Reis

The rest can have the week off or sit on bench and play minimal time

23 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

We need to play everybody. Give the combination up front A chance to gel.

We should name the squad, starters and subs that we intend to in the semi-final. Barring any injuries. Presumably we agreed with the other clubs that we would not observe international breaks, so we live with that decision.

No doubt we'll all be pissed off if Good, Metcalfe and Jmac simply sit on the sidelines during the WC qualifiers, but it is what it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jw1739 said:

We should name the squad, starters and subs that we intend to in the semi-final. Barring any injuries. Presumably we agreed with the other clubs that we would not observe international breaks, so we live with that decision.

No doubt we'll all be pissed off if Good, Metcalfe and Jmac simply sit on the sidelines during the WC qualifiers, but it is what it is.

I'd be staggered if Maclaren doesn't feature against both Taiwan and Nepal.

Likewise, I'd be surprised if Good and Metcalfe get any minutes at all.

Club website now showing this match this Thursday 10th June at 7.05 pm. in Sydney at Kogarah (Netstrata Jubilee Oval).

Following this morning's announcement from Australian Professional Leagues, we can confirm the updated details for the final fixture of our A-League season.

We'll play Newcastle Jets on Thursday 10 June, behind closed doors at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium in New South Wales.

The game was originally scheduled to be played on Saturday 29 May at AAMI Park but was postponed due to Melbourne's lockdown.

The fixture has been moved to New South Wales to ensure that it can be played prior to the lockdown in Melbourne ending, giving City as much preparation time as possible for our home Semi Final on Friday 18 June.

The fixture will kick off at 7.05pm on Thursday night and will be live on Fox Sports, Kayo and the My Football Live app.

Edited by jw1739

What concerns me about playing this game in Sydney is that - since they'll already be up there - they may take the opportunity to stay up there and play the Semi-Final up there too :-/

Fingers crossed the Vic gov't will let us have a crowd at AAMI Park on the 18th and they return after the Newcastle match...

I think also it's significant that it's behind closed doors in Sydney. Not a lot different from Newcastle coming here and playing behind closed doors at AAMI. Therefore I suspect that you are right. They will stay there and play the SF there, and if they progress the GF too.

4 hours ago, Red or Dead said:

What concerns me about playing this game in Sydney is that - since they'll already be up there - they may take the opportunity to stay up there and play the Semi-Final up there too 😕

Fingers crossed the Vic gov't will let us have a crowd at AAMI Park on the 18th and they return after the Newcastle match...

4 hours ago, jw1739 said:

I think also it's significant that it's behind closed doors in Sydney. Not a lot different from Newcastle coming here and playing behind closed doors at AAMI. Therefore I suspect that you are right. They will stay there and play the SF there, and if they progress the GF too.

if we're not allowed to have crowds in Melbourne then does it massively matter where it's played? granted it would give Sydney a home crowd, but do you really want empty stands for the biggest fixture of the A League season?

as an aside, i'm gutted and so shitty that there is a massive chance we won't get to host our first 'home' grand final should we make it.  i have very fond memories (if blurry 😉) of our FFA cup win against Sydney and when we clinched the premier's plate against the Mariners.  if however we can't go, i'd much rather see some sort of crowd and atmosphere.  plus the game here has been financially smashed this last 15 months.  would much rather the game make some money from grand final.

Edited by mattyh001
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mattyh001 said:

if we're not allowed to have crowds in Melbourne then does it massively matter where it's played? granted it would give Sydney a home crowd, but do you really want empty stands for the biggest fixture of the A League season?

Oh my concern wasn't about it not being played at AAMI Park. My concern was much more selfish, i.e. that I won't be able to attend (wherever it's played)!

Looks like they'll ease the lockdown (to some extent) from this Friday so hopefully that means some crowd on Friday the 18th and an even bigger crowd on the 26th.

10 minutes ago, Red or Dead said:

Oh my concern wasn't about it not being played at AAMI Park. My concern was much more selfish, i.e. that I won't be able to attend (wherever it's played)!

Looks like they'll ease the lockdown (to some extent) from this Friday so hopefully that means some crowd on Friday the 18th and an even bigger crowd on the 26th.

completely on the same page from a selfish point of view and get where you're coming from.  it's been way too long in terms of us earning a home grand final (should we get it).  to miss out is fucked.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Red or Dead said:

It's losing me. The whole bloody thing. Whatever code you follow, many live outside a 25km radius of the ground. The people making these decisions aren't living in the real world and they can't think straight.

10 minutes ago, neio said:

Atkinson and Nabbout coming back is huge. Nabbout can hopefully play finals as our number 9, Atkinson as a impact winger or right back

Provided they’re properly fit, a front 3 of

Noone - Nabbout - Atkinson 

with Tilio, Colakovski and Tsubaki ready to fill any of those, is definitley capable of winning the finals 

I really rate Atkinsons ability to beat his man and put in a good cross so I think he’d be well suited to playing on the wing 

14 minutes ago, neio said:

Atkinson and Nabbout coming back is huge. Nabbout can hopefully play finals as our number 9, Atkinson as a impact winger or right back

Is Nabbout suddenly going to score then, 80% of his shots have landed in row Z. I’m hesitant that this is our solution to goals.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Is Nabbout suddenly going to score then, 80% of his shots have landed in row Z. I’m hesitant that this is our solution to goals.

He plays such a big role that goes beyond how many goals he scores. He is a big threat and as such makes defenders sit off him out of respect for his pace, physicality and his ability to 'flick the switch', sometimes inadvertently (the first goal in the second derby). It allows him to drive to the penalty box more often, opens up spaces and opportunities for team mates to get into goal scoring positions. It's not coincidence that our form turned early this season the moment he returned back. 

• Like 5