Melbourne Football

City v. Jets, moved to 10 Jun, Kogarah Oval, Sydney, 7.05 p.m.

mattyh001

17 minutes ago, citypool said:

So looks like this will be played behind closed doors? 

It's already an inconvenient KO time and now with the COVID-19 outbreak and the risk of exposure, regrettably I've already taken the decision not to go, despite having had my first of the two injections.

1 hour ago, jw1739 said:

It's already an inconvenient KO time and now with the COVID-19 outbreak and the risk of exposure, regrettably I've already taken the decision not to go, despite having had my first of the two injections.

Same boat mate, going to watch from the confines of home. 

My thoughts are it could be played interstate anyway since we were in Brisbane last night and Victoria could be in lock down. Don't see the need to risk it

• Like 1

I just read that AFL crowds will be allowed this weekend. But I think this is crazy stuff. VicGov is fudging the numbers - there have actually been 10-11 cases detected over the past 24 hours - this is no "minor outbreak." And it's one of the highly infectious mutations on the loose.

Sadly, it's not worth the risk.

32 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Nobody will be going. The best we can hope for is that it goes ahead behind closed doors.

Unless it's deemed an "approved professional sports event" I can't see how the match can go ahead.

Looking on the bright side, people are going and getting the vaccine, over 40s can get it too, we might finally get some proper quarantine built, and finals may be delayed long enough for us to get the band back together. There are at least some upsides to all of this.

And we're already champions. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Unless it's deemed an "approved professional sports event" I can't see how the match can go ahead.

I think more the issue is Newcastle getting here and then being allowed to travel back. 

I will be staggered if we play on Saturday night, it seems all too hard

8 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

Looking on the bright side, people are going and getting the vaccine, over 40s can get it too, we might finally get some proper quarantine built, and finals may be delayed long enough for us to get the band back together. There are at least some upsides to all of this.

That's true. I have my second injection soon, and my wife her first next week. Many people are responding. I just went out, and many are wearing masks even outdoors, and last night at 8.00 p.m. the queue outside the hospital for the injection was astonishing.

1 hour ago, fensaddler said:

You’re right. Even if things got out of hand, it’s nice to know that we’ve sealed it. All that hard work has been rewarded with the purest trophy in football. Nobody can take it from us, unless we get it stripped retrospectively for doping or salary cap breaches or something. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Two minutes into time added on against Central Coast...I don't think anyone realised at the time how important that penalty call and then reversal was going to be. Even if all clubs do not complete their seasons we are still undisputed Premiers.

Edited by jw1739

6 hours ago, fensaddler said:

Doesn’t finals need to be finished at certain time in June?

5 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

It’s frustrating that this has happened. Teams from other sports were rushing out of Melbourne yesterday. We flew BACK. And not first thing either.

we could have stayed and found another venue for this game. Way too slow on the uptake APL.

Does it really matter even if we don't play our last two matches? We are Premiers whatever happens, and our two remaining matches really only affect the bottom places and who plays who in the FFA Cup.( Is it still called that now that FFA has changed its name?)

However, I completely agree with your comment about APL. It was blindingly obvious that this was a dangerous outbreak of COV-19, and we were already out of the State. At worst we could have had a coach ride down to Newy.

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

That's true. I have my second injection soon, and my wife her first next week. Many people are responding. I just went out, and many are wearing masks even outdoors, and last night at 8.00 p.m. the queue outside the hospital for the injection was astonishing.

It's sad that you are all so easily brainwashed and persuaded to become part of the clinical trial for this sinister vaccine. Sad times we are living in... 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

Does it really matter even if we don't play our last two matches? We are Premiers whatever happens, and our two remaining matches really only affect the bottom places and who plays who in the FFA Cup.( Is it still called that now that FFA has changed its name?)

However, I completely agree with your comment about APL. It was blindingly obvious that this was a dangerous outbreak of COV-19, and we were already out of the State. At worst we could have had a coach ride down to Newy.

It definitely matters if there’s a final series. whoever is starting up front needs a few games there. Mills needs more game time (he’s raw, but the best option if no Griffiths). Berenguer needs games.

14 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Dangerous outbreak of lockdown fever more like it.

• Thanks 1

I can see this game being played in newcastle in a bubble situation. Western United and Macarthur will now play their A-League match at Leichhardt Oval on Monday night 31 May so a quick decision from city to get out of Mebourne is required as cases grow. I doubt they  will cancel the game entirely, even though it doesnt affect either teams finasl because the 2 - 5 positions would claim bias through longer rest etc. also City need this game badly to prep our choisen XI for the finals period. The brisbane game showed alot of issues - to be expected really- but there are no sympathies from other teams around our circumstnces and socceroos missing playerss etc. 

Apparently Nabout and Nate are slim chances of finals but are on the mend so that is great. 

Noone    Cola    tilio

luna florin 

Oneil

Jamo Reis griff Galloway

for me as starting 

Edited by citymad
not finished!

15 minutes ago, citymad said:

I can see this game being played in newcastle in a bubble situation. Western United and Macarthur will now play their A-League match at Leichhardt Oval on Monday night 31 May so a quick decision from city to get out of Mebourne is required as cases grow. I doubt they  will cancel the game entirely, even though it doesnt affect either teams finasl because the 2 - 5 positions would claim bias through longer rest etc. also City need this game badly to prep our choisen XI for the finals period. The brisbane game showed alot of issues - to be expected really- but there are no sympathies from other teams around our circumstnces and socceroos missing playerss etc. 

Apparently Nabout and Nate are slim chances of finals but are on the mend so that is great. 

Noone    Cola    tilio

luna florin 

Oneil

Jamo Reis griff Galloway

for me as starting 

Nah, City gotta play long game n get stuck in Victoria so season and thus finals are delayed.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, citymad said:

Noone    Cola    tilio

Neither of our remaining matches affects finals, although of course it would be nice if the record book shows us winning the Premiership by as many points and with the biggest goal difference that we can. There's still a chance - albeit small one - that Newcastle could push Victory to last place, and that would affect the preliminary elimination matches for next season's FFA Cup depending on how the draw for those matches will be made.

I agree that there's probably a lower risk of the spread of COV-19 if City go to Newcastle (but why not Sydney?) and play in a bubble there rather than Newcastle coming to Melbourne and playing in a bubble here.

5 minutes ago, HeartFc said:

Both teams should just play a midweek fixture and play their youth teams.

We used to play with an ice-cube in the aisle between benches in the Chem. Lab. at school. They could do that in a plane circling Albury/Wodonga airfield. That's about half-way between here and Newcastle. Neutral territory.

Wouldn't take long. From memory the ice-cube melted fairly quickly and always before we could get caught by the Chemistry teacher.