Melbourne Football

Redcliffe Roar vs City. Redcliffe. Tuesday 25/05/21 7:05pm

Shahanga

These are the sorts of matches that really test the patience of fans. After we secured the Premiership came a flood of positive media material rehabilitating both Warren Joyce and Michael Petrillo, and elevating Erick Mombaerts and PK to at least demigod status. IMO this one shows that PK has still got a way to go. Throughout the season he's been reluctant to give subs many minutes and then suddenly here he is sending them in as starting players. He did the same against Wellington and it didn't work then - why would it tonight. Equally, the signing of Georgievski was questioned right from the time it was announced.

This is going to be a disappointing evening. And I think one that dampens the recent enthusiasm for the club. I don't want to see this shit against Newcastle.

Edited by jw1739
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

These are the sorts of matches that really test the patience of fans. After we secured the Premiership came a flood of positive media material rehabilitating both Warren Joyce and Michael Petrillo, and elevating Erick Mombaerts and PK to at least demigod status. IMO this one shows that PK has still got a way to go. Throughout the season he's been reluctant to give subs many minutes and then suddenly here he is sending them in as starting players. He did the same against Wellington and it didn't work then - why would it tonight. Equally, the signing of Georgievski was questioned right from the time it was announced.

This is going to be a disappointing evening.

Obviously this loss is Petrillo’s fault he put the squad together.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

We played 3 days ago basically 2 day turnaround and travel. I don’t know what supporters expected I expected this 

Agreed, in addition to this only three players who started the game our in our best XI (Good, Metcalfe, Mclaren), with one more coming on at the 67th min (Luna).

FYI before it starts some sort of shit fight, our best XI is clearly (Glover, Atkinson, Good, Griffiths, Jamieson, O'neill, Metcalfe, Luna, Noone, Mclaren and Nabbout)

5 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

We played 3 days ago basically 2 day turnaround and travel. I don’t know what supporters expected I expected this 

I expected very little, but hoped at least for some promising performances from a makeshift team. But we're looking at playing on into finals without Nabbout, Atkinson, Griffiths, Jamie, Curtis and Metcalfe, and on the evidence of Brisbane and Wellington, we're going to find it a struggle. I'd be delighted to be wrong.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CityBoyz said:

Still 3-0 is disappointing considering how everybody goes on about how good and deep our squad is. We started some real senior players, all our Socceroos! I was expecting/hoping a narrow loss not a wipeout.

Saying that even our preferred 11 would have struggled against this Brisbane, their forward speed would have been too much for Griff and Jamieson as well.

Edited by Mr MO

3 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

I expected very little, but hoped at least for some promising performances from a makeshift team. But we're looking at playing on into finals without Nabbout, Atkinson, Griffiths, Jamie, Curtis and Metcalfe, and on the evidence of Brisbane and Wellington, we're going to find it a struggle. I'd be delighted to be wrong.

I’m not worried about our defence Griffiths will return and so will O’Neill, Jamo and Noone. If we can get Nabbout back I’ll be less worried but still think we can make a GF. 

we also don’t have to travel for the rest of the season now 

Edited by CityBoyz

7 minutes ago, fensaddler said:

5 minutes ago, Mr MO said:

Still 3-0 is disappointing considering how everybody goes on about how good and deep our squad is. We started some real senior players, all our Socceroos! I was expecting/hoping a narrow loss not a wipeout.

Saying that even our preferred 11 would have struggled against this Brisbane, their forward speed would have been too much for Griff and Jamieson as well.

These two posts reflect my thoughts as well. I hoped for a draw, but not to be.

25 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

That game was really weird. The way we played it was almost like they were all on the piss a couple of days ago.

(Disappointing, but the world hasn’t ended) 

Don't rationalise.

Ask yourselves, would Sydney have played like that after sealing the Premiership with several matches to go?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CityBoyz said:

Exactly. Seriously now, think of the massive emotional toll Saturday night took out on all of them. To have to travel interstate after only 3 days after that and play a team fighting for their finals spot was never, ever going to end well.

Nothing to read into this at all.

• Like 1

We used and spent too much luck and emoticons on Saturday.  We weren't that bad tonight , just nothing was going on our way. The best lineup has changed too much. Georgievski, Galloway and Tsubaki linked well on the right flank in the first half. Socceroos were among the weakest, not mentally there.

Sydney also lost the focus after winning the Premiers. Let's brace for the last round result.

6 hours ago, Imtellingyou said:

We used and spent too much luck and emoticons on Saturday.  We weren't that bad tonight , just nothing was going on our way. The best lineup has changed too much. Georgievski, Galloway and Tsubaki linked well on the right flank in the first half. Socceroos were among the weakest, not mentally there.

Sydney also lost the focus after winning the Premiers. Let's brace for the last round result.

I didn't get to watch the game but if somebody watched all teh way through I wouldn't mind a player by player summary. So far this is the only one and I never thought much of Geogievski but it is good to read a positive review of Galloway and Tsubaki.

1 hour ago, NewConvert said:

I didn't get to watch the game but if somebody watched all teh way through I wouldn't mind a player by player summary. So far this is the only one and I never thought much of Geogievski but it is good to read a positive review of Galloway and Tsubaki.

Sutton - ok, beaten near post for first goal, couldn’t save other two penalties.

Galloway - offensively good, no crosses really landed.

Georgievski - had a lot of it as a CB in the first half and played a lot of passes short and long, defensively a mess, moved to RB in second half.

Good - struggled a bit, their quick counter attacks were exposing our defenders badly and Curt wasn’t at his best.

Reis - ok.

Mills - not great.

Garrucio - didn’t notice him much.

Metcalfe - just ok, bit leggy.

Berenguer - got forward a lot but couldn’t play the final ball.

Tsubaki - might’ve been our best, was attacking and caused a bit of concern for Roar.

Tilio - likewise, was lively and direct but lacked the finishing touch, tried to do too much sometimes.

Maclaren - just not his night, when he went near post the ball went far, when he stayed back the ball went across the goal face.

Luna - probably improved our midfield, played a few balls but nothing came of them.

Colakovski - tried hard.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NewConvert said:

Forgot Gomulka - an interesting game, I think he was solid at times but positionally he struggled, has a lot to learn and will take a bit from that match.

Edited by Harrison

3 hours ago, Harrison said:

Forgot Gomulka - an interesting game, I think he was solid at times but positionally he struggled, has a lot to learn and will take a bit from that match.

Agree with this. His effort and fight was nearly the best of anyone, but i think he perhaps tried too hard and got dragged out of position far too regularly, opening us up to the counter.

Bit of a who cares game really, we were always going to play a side with the coming three or so weeks and securing the seat the priority. Thats not to say the XI that travelled weren't out there trying to win it, but i also dont think theres a side in the league that could make that many changes and play any better.
Obv i think we can be a bit disappointed that a few of the fringies didnt step up to the plate and stake their claims, but i certainly dont see it as a reason to lose total hope given what we have to come back in. Nabbout's availability shapes as crucial if we are to go on and lift the seat.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bt50 said:

Nabbout's availability shapes as crucial if we are to go on and lift the seat.

Well PK said in his post match presser that Nabbout is very unlikely to return for finals and is still in rehab.  

https://www.myfootball.com.au/video/kisnorbo-tonight-was-a-learning-curve-us-press-conference-a-league

Edited by CityBoyz

14 hours ago, Mr MO said:

I wonder why we aren’t looking at short term replacements for Jmac and Nabbout?

Ages ago Paddy hinted that we were without much success. The criteria is tight. They need to be playing, need to be available for that time period, need to fall within our financial constraints. Perhaps we will, but it’s not easy.

2 hours ago, bt50 said:

Agree with this. His effort and fight was nearly the best of anyone, but i think he perhaps tried too hard and got dragged out of position far too regularly, opening us up to the counter.

Bit of a who cares game really, we were always going to play a side with the coming three or so weeks and securing the seat the priority. Thats not to say the XI that travelled weren't out there trying to win it, but i also dont think theres a side in the league that could make that many changes and play any better.
Obv i think we can be a bit disappointed that a few of the fringies didnt step up to the plate and stake their claims, but i certainly dont see it as a reason to lose total hope given what we have to come back in. Nabbout's availability shapes as crucial if we are to go on and lift the seat.

IMO one thing we need to bear in mind is that once a young player drops out of the first team he's not just dropping one level but he's going back to play NPL3. I'm not sure that six changes were necessary and I think there's justification for some comment there.

• Like 1