Melbourne Football

City v. CCM, Saturday 22nd May, 7.10 p.m., AAMI Park

citymad

IMO this is now our ‘Final’. We win this we win the plate. Our second major Men’s trophy.

Once the finals series start it’s a different team than that which brought us the strong performances. 
if you can get to the game and cheer us on.

THIS IS BIG.

Edited by jw1739

13 minutes ago, MHFC-FAN said:

Reckon more likely the following match when it's statistically impossible for anyone to beat us

Won't that be the case should we beat Central Coast?

We win, and we go to 48 points which will be unassailable given 2nd place Central Coast will remain on 36 points with only 3 games left to play, while Sydney, Adelaide and Macarthur are all on 35 points with 4 games left to play, so the max any of those could achieve is 47.

Goal difference won't come into it if we beat the Mariners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Torn Asunder said:

Let's not forgot something ... we have to win.  Forget the celebrations, focus on winning.  Fingers crossed that Griff and Good both pull up well, because without those two, we aint likely to beat CCM

Exactly. We, of all people, ought to know better. We conceded two shit goals against Brisbane and two more against Phoenix. We needed a superb free-kick from JMac to even get a point yesterday. It's never over until the fat lady sings.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Torn Asunder said:

Let's not forgot something ... we have to win.  Forget the celebrations, focus on winning.  Fingers crossed that Griff and Good both pull up well, because without those two, we aint likely to beat CCM

At the presser Paddy said Good was Ok, just managed.

Incidentally if we were to draw, we’d then need just 1 more point from the last 3 games to seal the league, which include fixtures against the bottom 2 sides. Obviously winning would be great, but we will still win the league, regardless.

Back in 1988, Walsall had made a great run to League 1 (probably Div 3 back then) play off finals. We went away to Bristol City in the first leg and won 3-1. We thought we'd made it. Then in the home leg we lost 2-0 so it had to go to a replay. Our heads were down, we thought we'd blown it. But at least we won the penalty shoot out, so we got home advantage. Even so, it was a do or die match and fans were jumpy. The place was packed and rocking, a noisy full house. We were three up inside 20 minutes and went on to win 4-0.

What I'm saying with this shaggy dog story is that what we are feeling is nerves, not impending doom. We are at home, we are in good form. We need to pack the place out, make lots of noise and roar them home. The players will be up for this. They know its one last push for glory. We'll get there. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, n i k o said:

Booked a trip a while back for this weekend. Can't believe I won't be there but will be watching nonetheless. 

Aah that's too bad, I know you'll be there in spirit though mate.

We were actually away for the 7-0 destruction of the fukheads. Of all the games, lucky we could watch it on tv though, but sure wish we were there.

Edited by rass
  • Like 1

On 17/05/2021 at 6:10 PM, rass said:

I see no excuse whatsoever for fans not to be there. Crowd sizes generally don't bother me, but I'd be seriously pissed off if people don't make the effort or use the footy etc for excuses.

We've been waiting for this moment all of our existence, we need to be right there behind the boys and make them feel we're on the pitch with them.

I'm leaving my best friend's engagement party early for it.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I still say let's just take it one match at a time. We had the chance to win it against Wellington, but two stupid turnovers in the last 2 minutes of normal time cost us the two points that would have sealed it.

A draw against CCM will make it virtually impossible for CCM to overtake us on goal difference. Leaving Sydney, Adelaide and Macarthur as possibles. Sydney have the best goal difference of those, and playing Victory tonight will almost certainly improve it. Perth could knock Adelaide out of contention tonight. Sydney still have to play both Brisbane and Adelaide away.

Sorry lads, but it's not over until it really is over.

5 minutes ago, jw1739 said:

I still say let's just take it one match at a time. We had the chance to win it against Wellington, but two stupid turnovers in the last 2 minutes of normal time cost us the two points that would have sealed it.

A draw against CCM will make it virtually impossible for CCM to overtake us on goal difference. Leaving Sydney, Adelaide and Macarthur as possibles. Sydney have the best goal difference of those, and playing Victory tonight will almost certainly improve it. Perth could knock Adelaide out of contention tonight. Sydney still have to play both Brisbane and Adelaide away.

Sorry lads, but it's not over until it really is over.

We couldn’t have won it against Wellington. We can only win it against Central Coast because they are second and it thus is a “6 pointer”. I suspect this situation influenced the squad selection for the Wellington game.

Obviously we aren’t quite over the line, but I don’t accept Sydney have any chance at all of making up a 20 goal difference in 4 games and of course the others are even further behind.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Shahanga said:

We couldn’t have won it against Wellington. We can only win it against Central Coast because they are second and it thus is a “6 pointer”. I suspect this situation influenced the squad selection for the Wellington game.

Obviously we aren’t quite over the line, but I don’t accept Sydney have any chance at all of making up a 20 goal difference in 4 games and of course the others are even further behind.

Correct. In actual essence the Wellington draw only meant that we needed to win v CCM rather than win or draw to claim the title. 

5 hours ago, bt50 said:

Correct. In actual essence the Wellington draw only meant that we needed to win v CCM rather than win or draw to claim the title. 

CBFed doing the maths, but didnt we need to win both, until Brisbane lost to Adelaide after our game.

I think the selection of the team was purely to do with resting players carrying injuries on the expectation that we would still be able to win against Wellington and not with the exoectation that a draw was still good enough to win the title against CCM.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jw1739 said:

Sydney have beaten Victory 2-0 and improved their goal difference to 10. They are on 38 points with three matches to play.

Very true.

We are on 45 points with 4 games to play with +18 GD to Sydney. 

• Like 2

PK faces a conundrum. 

Does he play our strongest starting lineup. That is starts Maclaren Good and probably Metcalfe knowing in a few weeks there gone, or does he persist with the alternative (Tsubaki or Colakovski) in the hope they step up to give us decent chance of lifting the toilet seat. 

Realistically we only need 2 draws to win the League and we have 4 games to work on getting through the finals.

Obviously winning the league trumps everything but we still have to have one eye on the weeks after.

Interesting situation.