Melbourne Football

Round 2 | The Melbourne Derby | Etihad stadium | 7:30PM Saturday 17th of October

Cityscape

Melbourne City’s Aaron Mooy says he’s ready to handle tight marking

October 16 2015

Matt Windley

BRING it on is Aaron Mooy’s message to any player who wants to try to mark him out of A-League games this season.

The Socceroos midfielder is in the hottest form of his career and with increased expectation is likely to come in for extra attention from opposition sides, starting with tonight’s derby against Melbourne Victory at Etihad Stadium.

Having played only 38 minutes as a second half substitute against Sydney FC last week, Mooy says it is too early to tell whether the heat is going to come after a 2014-15 campaign in which he scooped his club’s end-of-season awards pool.

But if the man-markers do come, Mooy says he is more than ready for them.

“I don’t think it will affect me if someone wants to mark me,” Mooy said.

“If that’s the case it just creates space for other players.

“I’ve got to fancy myself playing against anybody, so if it happens then that’s just part of the game and I’ll handle it.”

Mooy, despite not playing up front, was City’s leading scorer last season, topping the charts with seven goals, four ahead of a quartet of players on three _ Robert Koren, Erik Paartalu, David Williams and Harry Novillo.

The 25-year-old has already found the back of the net six times in three scintillating FFA Cup games this season, but that should not, he said, be an indication of the status quo being maintained in regards to the team’s reliance on him to score.

Mooy said his midfield partnership with Koren is flourishing, while the introduction of Uruguayan striker Bruno Fornaroli — who has scored three goals in two FFA Cup games — has given City’s attack a new dimension.

“In training and the games so far the (partnership with Koren) has come up really well so far and hopefully we can keep improving that relationship,” he said.

“If it can help the team create chances, then that’s great.

“I think we’re playing a different style this season. Bruno is more of a link-up man, you can play the ball in to him and run off him and he’s good enough to give it back to you.

“He makes good runs as well so it’s good that he’s in our team and hopefully he can bang them in during the season.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/a-league-melbourne-citys-aaron-mooy-says-hes-ready-to-handle-tight-marking/story-fnk6pqhd-1227572122505?sv=530628449c46985c2d353ab7e7710296

On paper, our toughest games this season are our away matches to last season's grand finalists. And we only play 1 match away to each grand finalist. We drew last week away to Sydney FC, and tonight is the other toughest game on paper. After tonight our 4 remaining games against Sydney FC and Victory are home games at AAMI Park (and we have a very good head-to-head record against Sydney and have won our last 2 AAMI Park derbies against Victory [the last time we lost to them at AAMI was under JA]).

I believe Melbourne City's performances in tough games will be better this season, but getting something tonight would be a bonus. Sydney FC didn't win against victory in Melbourne last season, and victory didn't win against Sydney FC in Sydney last season. Wins away to contenders simply aren't crucial IMO; being consistent over the whole season and winning the games we should win will be much more important. 

There's some buzz and confident talk coming from the team going into this match so I'm keen to see what they can produce. In particular I'm looking forward to seeing what a fully fit and starting Aaron Mooy can do--especially after his scintillating FFA Cup form--as well as Fornaroli and Sorensen. Wildcards Koren, Dekker and perhaps Zullo will be ones to watch too.  

All up a competitive performance with end-product in attack, for the whole match and not just 1 half, is what I'd like to see. And going off the positive vibe in camp with Melbourne City I reckon there could be some positive surprises tonight.

• Like 1

Bugger a draw...let's set our season up with a famous win! No more excuses, it's not like we're travelling interstate. Let's nail these dirty pricks and send their thick as fuck fans home bitching & moaning.

Would love a win, always do, but considering these 2 games (round 1 and 2) are the hardest we have all year, with the players we have injured, I'd gladly take a point from each.

Maybe though Zullo as a winger can work, may be told to drop back and have 2 one 1's vs Barba whatever it is, or the other one, and have the ability to play 2 ST's whilst playing 5 at the back when defending? 

I reckon you and Dylan are on the money here.  Gaffer thinks Zullo can help out defending.  Don't want guys isolated against that front 4.

• Like 1